Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-29-2016, 02:23 PM   #261
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: GURPS Thaumatology: Sorcery

Toni adapted the Sorceror to DF in this Pyramid issue.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:29 PM   #262
Rindis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Don't know if this has been covered, so sorry if I missed it in the thread.

First question:
Why is it that Sorcery has a -15% modifier, while Magic and Divine have -10%.
See Inventing New Spells on page 13. Basically, it's the -10% Magic modifier with Costs Fatigue added on.

Quote:
I'm assuming that it's because of the timing limitations:
- Need a second to switch between spells
- Can't cast reactive/block spells
and the concurrent spells limitation:
- Need to pay full cost for most expensive spells to have more than one 'on'.
All of that is part of how Sorcerous Empowerment works as a variant of Modular Abilities. The full system-niddly details are in Under the Hood on page 5. (The lack of reactive/block spells are actually because of the time needed.)

Quote:
As was described in previous posts, I've forgone the ability to improvise by neglecting to get any levels of Empowerment and paying full cost for my most expensive spell (-like ability).

Since I'm not really using this system as a way to be this type of sorcerer, but rather as a way to price out magic based abilities, should I be allowed to create/purchase a reactive/block type spell which a typical sorcerer couldn't?
This would mean that you're not using the modular ability, so you don't have to spend a second switching between spells. From there, you can buy the timing down on the individual spell to allow reactive casting. (I don't remember offhand what that would take.)
Old 08-29-2016, 04:00 PM   #263
Shaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rindis View Post
See Inventing New Spells on page 13. Basically, it's the -10% Magic modifier with Costs Fatigue added on.

All of that is part of how Sorcerous Empowerment works as a variant of Modular Abilities. The full system-niddly details are in Under the Hood on page 5. (The lack of reactive/block spells are actually because of the time needed.)

This would mean that you're not using the modular ability, so you don't have to spend a second switching between spells. From there, you can buy the timing down on the individual spell to allow reactive casting. (I don't remember offhand what that would take.)
Y'know, I completely glazed over that section on page 13... oops.
As for the under the hood, I didn't quite understand it the first time I read it. Now that I've read this thread and gotten a bit more of a feel for the system, I think I get it... mostly.

Thanks!
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:39 AM   #264
starslayer

Quote:
Second question:
My GM has banned (strongly discouraged) classic DF Magic as being OP and has instead instituted this Sorcery as the preferred magic system in his campaign.
As was described in previous posts, I've forgone the ability to improvise by neglecting to get any levels of Empowerment and paying full cost for my most expensive spell (-like ability).
Since I'm not really using this system as a way to be this type of sorcerer, but rather as a way to price out magic based abilities, should I be allowed to create/purchase a reactive/block type spell which a typical sorcerer couldn't?
I'm still keeping to the one active at a time, as well as the 1 second concentrate before switching spells limitations. So I'm envisioning building general defensive spell, stacking abilities as I can afford them (ie. one spell comprised of Turn Blade and Missile Shield. At some later time, I could add Reflect Gaze). Concentrating for one second before a battle to set this as my current sorcery. Then, casting it as a Block type spell when needed. Only the applicable portion of the spell would take effect based on the situation, the rest not having anything to act upon. I suppose, if I'm being attacked by a Gorgon wielding a sword, then two aspects might take effect in the same turn...

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Quote:

No- you are still using alternate abilities which need to be switched between. You would need to purchase your blocking spell/ability separate from your pool of alternate abilities (IE, pay full price rather than 1/5 price) to have it always available. Now you could have multiple blocking spells, and switch at the beginning of your turn, paying for only the most expensive one, the rest at 1/5.

See: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=129132
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=30938

Last edited by starslayer; 08-30-2016 at 12:14 PM.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:27 PM   #265
Rindis

True. I was thinking he was paying full price for everything, not 1/5 for everything after the first. Didn't read closely enough.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:59 AM   #266
Refplace

Quote:
True. I was thinking he was paying full price for everything, not 1/5 for everything after the first. Didn't read closely enough.
That would usually be a waste of points. Buy 2 at full price and the rest as AA and you can have 2 active spells at the same time but can afford a better variety of spells to choose from.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:36 PM   #267
Pseudonym

Kind of a wacky edge case, but I want to confirm other people's thoughts.
I have a player that wants a somewhat modified sorcerous empowerment (single college, requires catalyst, requires gestures.)
Now, the item she wants to use is some rocks that she needs to clang together to cast magic, the clacking and/or grinding is the required gesture.

If she needs the items to use magic, I thought I could help her stretch her budget even further (with pros and cons) by using the enchantment rules/generic gizmo rules to say it is the rocks that grant sorcerous empowerment.

This comes to about 6 points for level 1 of sorcerous empowerment and about 3 for each additional level... but only if granted through the magic rocks.

If she had a few levels beyond level 1 that were innate of her character's person, they would cost more.

Finally, after all that preamble, here's my concern:

For the sake of hardcore improvisation, and for the alternate ability mechanic, the most expensive spell she can know/improvise still depends on how many points are spent, and the most expensive spell she can softcore improvise depends on how many levels of sorcerous empowerment she has,
correct? Also, I assume that no matter how many levels she has, since the stones grant level 1 which costs more for reasons, no matter how many levels she has innately, it's completely useless without the stones.

So even if we had a super keerazy situation where someone spent levels that cost:
20, 10, 5, 6, 7, 2, 5, 7
And all of them applied to a particular spell, the character could soft core improvise as if she had empowerment level 8, and hardcore improvise/learn alternate abilities as if she spent 62 character points.

Does this sound right?
Old 08-31-2016, 03:15 PM   #268
Anders

Word of caution: In general I find that putting essential advantages in gizmos is a bad idea. It means that the GM either cripples the character or cannot take away the gizmo, making it free points.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:09 PM   #269
starslayer

I would be ok with this- is it the nature of magic that sometimes it will not be available to the player.

If it is known and understood that magic rocks make magic, then it can be a routine loss of power that rocks get confiscated at the same places where weapons get confiscated- and thus it can be a 'magic free zone' enforced by the same methods a 'weapon free zone' is enforced.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:03 PM   #270
Shaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
No- you are still using alternate abilities which need to be switched between. You would need to purchase your blocking spell/ability separate from your pool of alternate abilities (IE, pay full price rather than 1/5 price) to have it always available. Now you could have multiple blocking spells, and switch at the beginning of your turn, paying for only the most expensive one, the rest at 1/5.

See: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=129132
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=30938
If I don't plan on having any other spells active, why would I need to pay full price for this spell? Also, I see the point of blocking spells as reacting to an unanticipated condition. Needing to decide on one active at a time would be limiting. I would either: [as stated before] build one multi-functional, and expensive, blocking spell; or expect that each spell that I purchased as a blocking type spell could be used as the situation arose, but only if I'm not concentrating on another spell.
Of course, if I am concentrating on another spell, I agree that I couldn't use a blocking spell, unless I had another spell slot open. I disagree that it would have to be in it's own spell pool. This could be better, or worse, depending on the cost of my next highest spell vs. the cost of my highest block spell.

Assuming your suggestion, would you price the cost of a blocking spell differently than an indefinite duration spell?
For example, Catch Missile costs 11, or 20 points depending on the level you get. Would it be more, less, or the same if purchased as a Blocking spell?

How about using the Accelerated Casting advantage from Pyramid 3/82, but add another modifier (Blocking Spells Only, -??%)? I have no idea how much this modifier should be.

Thanks.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cancellation, powers, thaumatology