Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-21-2016, 01:19 PM   #251
Rindis

Default Re: GURPS Thaumatology: Sorcery

Good to know. It has recently shot up near the top of the 'to get' list. (Behind Protection and Warning Spells...).
Old 07-22-2016, 09:53 AM   #252
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
In 4E?
Yes. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, every answer I give is in the context of GURPS Fourth Edition.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:19 AM   #253
Anders

How do I handle if two spells use the same advantage, e.g. both use Illusion as the base advantage? Do I pay full cost for both spells? Do I combine them into one advantage?
Old 07-24-2016, 07:49 AM   #254
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
How do I handle if two spells use the same advantage, e.g. both use Illusion as the base advantage? Do I pay full cost for both spells? Do I combine them into one advantage?
If they each have different modifiers Powers suggests you buy them as Alternate Abilities. Sorcery already has all spells as Alternate Abilities, so... you're already done! Just buy them as you normally would any spell, without considering what advantages make them up.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:09 AM   #255
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
If they each have different modifiers Powers suggests you buy them as Alternate Abilities. Sorcery already has all spells as Alternate Abilities, so... you're already done! Just buy them as you normally would any spell, without considering what advantages make them up.
Problem with that is that if I have a lot of e.g. Illusion spells I end up paying more for them than I would for the normal advantage, which seems wonky.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:11 AM   #256
Celti

Quote:
Problem with that is that if I have a lot of e.g. Illusion spells I end up paying more for them than I would for the normal advantage, which seems wonky.
Will that normal advantage do everything each individual spell does with the various modifiers they have? You need to compare the cost of all the spells to the cost of an Illusion advantage that does everything those spells do, not just the cost of a handful of Illusion spells to the base Illusion advantage.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:29 AM   #257
Bruno

Quote:
I'm expecting the sets of spells that are clearly only upgrades of each other (Simple Illusion, Complex Illusion, Perfect Illusion - for example) to be levels of the one spell, not separate traits.

Divine Favor uses this structure very effectively.

It's notable that buying extra copies of a trait gives you the advantage that if one spell is "knocked out" by an anti-power, the others still work.

I can absolutely see there being a "weak mana" area that can't support spells that cost more than eg 20 points or 50 points (Before the AA limitation).
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:52 PM   #258
Sunspark

So I'd been away from GURPS (and gaming in general) for about a couple years, and I come back and find this gem waiting for me. This is pretty much exactly the magic system I've been wanting for higher fantasy campaigns, where RPM wouldn't suit.

Already bought the Protection and Warding expansion, and seriously looking forward to any other books of spells that get put out.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:05 PM   #259
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I'm expecting the sets of spells that are clearly only upgrades of each other (Simple Illusion, Complex Illusion, Perfect Illusion - for example) to be levels of the one spell, not separate traits.
Something like this, yeah. Specifically, my approach will probably be to write them up as separate spells, but make it crystal clear that you can upgrade from one to the other. After all, if Perfect Illusion can do everything that Simple Illusion can do, why bother with the latter? In GURPS Magic the answer is "it costs less FP," but in sorcery, the answer is "it costs fewer character points." (This is really all covered by the existing rules on upgrading and deprecating spells, but I'll be sure to highlight it explicitly if I'm ever able to create or help another author create GURPS Sorcery: Illusion and Creation Spells.)

So why not just make those other spells into literal "levels"? Because they'll all will be Area spells, and it's more intuitive for the area to be tied to the levels. So that way someone can spend X points on either a high level of Simple Illusion or a low level of Perfect Illusion. And if you've got the points (X+Y) to buy a high level of Perfect Illusion, then do so!

Quote:
I can absolutely see there being a "weak mana" area that can't support spells that cost more than eg 20 points or 50 points (Before the AA limitation).
Whoa, I'd never thought of that before. Too cool. Idea stolen. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
So I'd been away from GURPS (and gaming in general) for about a couple years, and I come back and find this gem waiting for me. This is pretty much exactly the magic system I've been wanting for higher fantasy campaigns, where RPM wouldn't suit.

Already bought the Protection and Warding expansion, and seriously looking forward to any other books of spells that get put out.
Thank you! I'm glad this will be so useful for you. Obviously, I want us to make more "college" supplements (and as I've said elsewhere, that's a bit harder to do with this type of book), so please let other gamers know about this, especially the P&W supplement.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:10 PM   #260
Shaun

Don't know if this has been covered, so sorry if I missed it in the thread.

First question:
Why is it that Sorcery has a -15% modifier, while Magic and Divine have -10%.

I'm assuming that it's because of the timing limitations:
- Need a second to switch between spells
- Can't cast reactive/block spells
and the concurrent spells limitation:
- Need to pay full cost for most expensive spells to have more than one 'on'.

Is this correct, or is there some other reason?

Second question:
My GM has banned (strongly discouraged) classic DF Magic as being OP and has instead instituted this Sorcery as the preferred magic system in his campaign.
As was described in previous posts, I've forgone the ability to improvise by neglecting to get any levels of Empowerment and paying full cost for my most expensive spell (-like ability).
Since I'm not really using this system as a way to be this type of sorcerer, but rather as a way to price out magic based abilities, should I be allowed to create/purchase a reactive/block type spell which a typical sorcerer couldn't?
I'm still keeping to the one active at a time, as well as the 1 second concentrate before switching spells limitations. So I'm envisioning building general defensive spell, stacking abilities as I can afford them (ie. one spell comprised of Turn Blade and Missile Shield. At some later time, I could add Reflect Gaze). Concentrating for one second before a battle to set this as my current sorcery. Then, casting it as a Block type spell when needed. Only the applicable portion of the spell would take effect based on the situation, the rest not having anything to act upon. I suppose, if I'm being attacked by a Gorgon wielding a sword, then two aspects might take effect in the same turn...

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cancellation, powers, thaumatology