Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-29-2009, 03:22 AM   #11
nik1979

Default Re: Hight Tech Sporterising guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
Fantastic advertisement for the Phillipines as campaign setting aside, it sounds like you actually want to do the opposite of what I understand sporterising to mean.
In my understanding, it means changing a gun that would be illegal into one that is legal. Usually that means making it semi-auto rather than fully auto, shrinking the magazine size, etc.

But it sounds like you actually want to make a legal gun illegal, by making it full auto, changing the body, etc. Is that right?
Yes the body changing is my primary concern. I dont' know if there is any more appropriate term for changing it to a composite. I think I'm mistaken with the use of the term sporterize- is there a better term for "make gun composite body, stable (keep the recoil) but lighter" (takticoolerized?)
MIB#2428
nik1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:23 AM   #12
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik1979 View Post
Yes the body changing is my primary concern. I dont' know if there is any more appropriate term for changing it to a composite. I think I'm mistaken with the use of the term sporterize- is there a better term for "make gun composite body, stable (keep the recoil) but lighter" (takticoolerized?)
I'd probably call that "modding". In fact, if gamewise all you want is to make it lighter with no other changes, I'd just call that making it Expensive, except that High Tech specifically rules that out. Hmm.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:20 AM   #13
Jerron

Depending on the gun, the weight difference might not make that much of a change. The SKS, with Acc 4 and Rcl 3, is one of the more accurate and higher Rcl weapons as is. I don't think the change would be enough to warrant a bump in the stats, honestly (except weight, of course). I could be wrong, but my opinion would be to just use the stats for SKS, or perhaps lower Acc to 3 at worst. Keep in mind, as long as the gunsmith is working on it, he might make it Fine (accurate) anyhow, so if you lose Acc, it might be a wash.

It is possible, and as mentioned has been done, to mod it to accept detachable magazines. I would think this be a hard mod if rolling for it, but your wiki states otherwise, perhaps due to a kit purchase or something to ease the machining requirements. Perhaps increase Malf. From your Wiki- "Norinco had, at one point, manufactured the SKS-M, SKS-D, and MC-5D models which were engineered from the factory to accept AKM magazines without problems (though the wood stock must be relieved to accept drum magazines)." Although I would say anything Chinese would have a higher Malf anyhow, so it's kind of a moot point.

It is also possible to mod to full-auto. If you know what you're doing, this is actually a fairly easy mod, it can be done with a file in a few minutes once disassembled. Selective fire, however, is hard, requiring extra pieces and mounting a switch that didn't exist previously. That's actually true for most semi-automatic weapons. You can make Colt M1911's into machine pistols, but they not only empty the magazine almost instantaneously, the recoil on those things is enough where you only hit once anyhow. However, again increase Malf; I would weight the malfunction toward jamming, if you wanted to get that picky.
High-tech:
"A gunsmith can convert most semiautomatic weapons to full-automatic or selective-fire. ... With suitable parts and tools, conversion requires an Armoury (Small Arms) roll and 10 minutes’ work for a favorable task, 12 hours’ work for an average task, and two days’ work for an unfavorable task."
(Your conversion would be favorable if full-auto only, average if selective fire.)

BTW, 'gear box' is called 'receiver'.

I hope that helped, a little more windy than I expected to be, but I think it covers what you were looking for.

Last edited by Jerron; 08-29-2009 at 05:31 AM.
Jerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:40 AM   #14
nik1979

thanks everyone for the help. I've got what I need :D
MIB#2428
nik1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high tech, high-tech