Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-19-2004, 12:57 PM   #11
lawman

Default Re: IW: Menace from Beyond Time

Quote:
Destruction is inevitable (reality quakes?) and cannot be stopped, but it may be possible to redirect the destructive force to hit the bad guys.

The bad news is, they've alreay starting to shift it to us!

Maybe it can't be stopped or redirected, but people can be relocated to some areas/lines, but something has to be left behind-- technology, people or perhaps something even more indefinable.

Weirdly enough, I had a thought about this last night as I was pseudo-asleep, and most of it is gone now. It actually had to do with infinite worlds/lines being created through decisions and events that could go either way, etc. If you make a major life decision, there is a copy of you on another world that went the other way, etc.

However, the worlds/lines have an electicity effect, and they start getting drawn back together, with one world/line winning out and absorbing the other. In the end, there is only one line again and it starts all over.

Humanity (homeline) needs to spread and explore to ensure its existance. The more it populates these other lines, the more chance they will dominate the final thread when it emerges as the victor. This is also why they need to keep other lines in check and prevent them from spreading too much. (Note the realigning of the the lines could be gradual or instant and rubberbandlike.)

Anyway, it just some random scenario as I was mostly asleep last night. I just thought it was weird that a similar question arose here today.

--You could have a rule for everything, but then you'd have a rule for everything.
lawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 02:45 PM   #12
BlueHairMonkey

Parachronic technology only seems to be effective on Homeline and Centuum. These 2 timelines are the furthest in the future date-wise. What if it was discovered that parachronic technology works just fine on all alternate earths, as long as they've progressed past a certain date? Say, past the year 2000 or something? Reigh 5 and other hostile worlds may be close! or may have past the date, so that's why so much effort may have been put in tio keeping it a secret. Why else whould you keep a technology a secret that doesn't even work on other worlds?
BlueHairMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 04:00 PM   #13
jSarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert
While there are certain similarities, I don't quite think that these entities are similar to those of the Cthulhu Mythos.

Mythos entities have always been there, and humanity evolved around them without really noticing them - and thankfully, that's mutual.

These, on the other hand, seem to be actual cross-time invaders...
Who says Cthulhu and Friends (anyone think that would make a cool Saturday Morning Cartoon?) have to act the same way in every parallel?
jSarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 07:34 PM   #14
CharlesGriswold

Location: My Fortress of Arrogance somewhere under Richland, Washington, USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jSarek
Who says Cthulhu and Friends (anyone think that would make a cool Saturday Morning Cartoon?) have to act the same way in every parallel?
"Hi, kids! Welcome to the Cthulhu Ftaghn hour! Today we're going to visit Bob and Clara, our Deep One neighbors. But first, let's sing our morning praises to Azathoth."

Maybe not.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:48 PM   #15
Microangelo

Here's a fun idea-- What if "The Apocalypse" is one giant entity? What if it were a giant worm-like creature or a multi-timeline-eating Galactus-style being?

PC's could seek to negotiate with the entity or even just communicate with it. Perhaps a massive fight would be required, or the use of some massive and cooperative force. Adventures could take place inside such a being. There are a great many possiblities.
Microangelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds