Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-06-2015, 05:28 PM   #1
PK

Default GURPS Thaumatology: Sorcery

I'm going to break protocol here by first addressing my fellow hardcore GURPS geeks clearly and frankly. GURPS Thaumatology: Sorcery combines the colleges and themes of GURPS Magic with a new power framework and spells built as advantages. It includes nearly 50 spells and simple rules for adapting the rest. A lot of you have been asking for this for years. We heard you. It's here. Go buy it. :)

Okay, back to my normal promotional voice . . .

Versatility.
Power. Balance. Ease of use.
Would you like it all?
-- Some shameless promoter

Most GURPS magic systems treat spells as skills, with an emphasis on education and a fairly narrow range of power. The main difference between an apprentice and an archmage is how much time and fatigue it costs them to work their mystical mojo. But this doesn't fit all worlds. Many settings call for a magic system that scales directly with campaign power level, in which a 500-point magus can work effects that a 75-point dabbler could never hope to attain. The difference between them isn't how long their spells take or how many FP they have to burn, but simply a matter of sheer power.

Specifically, the power of sorcery.

GURPS Thaumatology: Sorcery is a new system that models spells as abilities (advantages plus appropriate modifiers) gathered into a new power framework. A typical sorcerer will have a modest number of spells in his grimoire, but nearly all take just one second and 1 FP to cast . . . and many can be cast automatically, with no roll! And when none of his spells will fit the job, he has a limited ability to improvise -- to come up with the perfect cantrip to fit the situation. The more character points he sinks into sorcery, the more powerful his known and improvised spells become. The end result is a spellcaster whose magic is practically an extension of his mind and body -- for whom wizardry is as simple as walking and talking.

Creating new sorcerous spells is a snap, because all of GURPS becomes your potential grimoire. If you can build it using advantages, it can be your latest ritual, just by following the simple, straightforward guidelines in this book. Just as important, you can feel confident that your spell is balanced against others, since more power means spending more character points. It's the ultimate "spell design system." And the enchanting rules let you go a step further, by turning any spell into a magic item that you can use, give to a teammate, or sell for a tidy profit! (And non-sorcerers will happily drop cash for these artifacts, once they see how versatile and powerful they can be.)

With GURPS Thaumatology: Sorcery, your magicians are limited only by their own power and ambition. Choose your spells and demonstrate your mastery over reality.

-- PK

See the Preview: http://www.warehouse23.com/media/SJG37-1656_preview.pdf

Buy the Book: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/...tology-sorcery

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}

Last edited by PK; 08-06-2015 at 08:20 PM.
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:57 PM   #2
The_Ryujin

Default Re: GURPS Thaumatology: Sorcery

*Throws money at my smartphone* Take it, just take it already! This book literally couldn't of comes out at a more perfect time for me since I was already planning on converting Gurps magic spells to your sorcery rules this later this week.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:04 PM   #3
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

How is the Sorcery system different from the Divine Powers system?

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:21 PM   #4
dfinlay

Does this add anything to the Sorcery Framework from Pyramid other than the converted spell lists from GURPS Magic?
dfinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #5
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinlay View Post
Does this add anything to the Sorcery Framework from Pyramid other than the converted spell lists from GURPS Magic?
Yes, quite a bit. Sorcerous Empowerment has been overhauled slightly, improvised magic has been heavily revised, and spells now have keywords that allow them to be governed by a consistent set of rules. Also, the enchantment system is 100% new.

It would be fair to say that "The Power of Sorcery" was my way of dipping my toe into the concept of this system, and with this book I was able to dive in completely.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:53 PM   #6
RyanW

Why do things like this always come out right when my funds are dried up?
Old 08-07-2015, 08:40 AM   #7
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Yes, quite a bit. Sorcerous Empowerment has been overhauled slightly, improvised magic has been heavily revised, and spells now have keywords that allow them to be governed by a consistent set of rules. Also, the enchantment system is 100% new.

It would be fair to say that "The Power of Sorcery" was my way of dipping my toe into the concept of this system, and with this book I was able to dive in completely.
Just to be sure, the PDF is a stand-alone work, not requiring the referencing of the preceeeding Pyramid article?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #8
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
How is the Sorcery system different from the Divine Powers system?
It'd be easier to say how sorcery and divine favor are similar: both are systems with one core advantage plus a wide range of abilities designed to be taken as AAs.

Pretty much everything else is different. The core advantage is based on a custom Modular Ability which offers two different ways to improvise spells (whereas divine favor is effectively a Patron). Sorcery uses a standard power Talent. The spells themselves use a -15% Sorcery PM that differs greatly from the -10% Divine one. The spells feature keywords (like Area, Obvious, and Resisted) which flag them as being governed by certain rules. Sorcerous spells can be turned into enchanted items via the Enchant spell, which are then bought and sold for cash. And a myriad of other differences too minor to list.

Hopefully you'll find that all of the above contributes to a very different feel between the two. A paragon channels all of his abilities from a higher power; even with learned prayers, it's still "you get what your god decides to give you." Conversely, a sorcerer has an innate knack for magic -- magic under his personal control. If a spell isn't good enough, he can use extra effort to increase its potency or improvise an entirely new spell. My goal was for a sorcerer to feel 100% in control of his magical power, in contrast to the paragon who asks for help from his deity and then channels its will. (Not that the latter is a bad thing! In particular, the paragon can channel power far beyond what his learned prayers would suggest, while the sorcerer is limited to what spells his Sorcery can enable.)

Old 08-07-2015, 06:27 AM   #9
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
...-15% Sorcery PM...
Is the definition of this missing from the book? I noted it in some of the spells, but didn't see the definition of the PM.

Thank you,
Jerander.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:37 AM   #10
Steven Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
...-15% Sorcery PM...
Is the definition of this missing from the book? I noted it in some of the spells, but didn't see the definition of the PM.
That should be the first one in the Inventing New Spells sidebar on p. 13. (Also, we do our best to put new power modifiers in the Index... and, indeed, I note this one is listed. Whew; no errata about this!) :-)
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cancellation, powers, thaumatology