Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-28-2016, 05:38 PM   #51
PK

Default Re: Designer's Notes for the Dungeon Fantasy RPG bonus content

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Seems like the perfect spell to cast on a zombie or other disposable minion, though the righteous god might not approve of the zombie part.
Oh yeah, I wouldn't hesitate to assume that evil clerics have this as well! It's a great way to make the warriors hesitate to wade into what should be easily cut-down zombie mooks. :)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:40 PM   #52
(E)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Bonus Spell #1:
Retribution
The image of a delver standing next to a fallen foe with a pickaxe sticking out of their head leaps to mind.

Delver, while standing very still and trying not to panic. "Don't touch itdonttouchitdonttouchit"
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:34 PM   #53
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Heh, I'd say that's a bit munchkinly myself. A delver slamming into a foe is not the same as that foe striking that delver with a melee attack.
So right perfectly DF behavior then!
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:33 PM   #54
PK

Bonus Monster #1:
Fae Reaver

(Introduced in this EnWorld article.)

In a way, that entire article is already a designer's note for the fae reaver, so please be sure to read it. I like the way this monster turned out; it's a serious danger! The only viable options for killing it are area/explosive attacks or strong fighters with incredibly high skill. Archers are probably at the biggest disadvantage, but that's why a wide range of combat styles is necessary in a party. Your best bet is to get a cleric to hold it off via Turning while you prepare an appropriate assault, though the fae reaver is smart and will likely flee to attack another day.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:17 PM   #55
Anthony

Quote:
The only viable options for killing it are area/explosive attacks or strong fighters with incredibly high skill.
Eh, there's always attack spam. A basic Knight with weapon master and Broadsword-20 can attack 3x/turn at skill 14, including dodge around 45% of attacks will hit, so 1.35 hits/round for 2.7 damage/round.

Hm. How does alchemist's fire work against swarms? Is it able to get direct hits?
Old 09-29-2016, 02:52 PM   #56
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Eh, there's always attack spam. A basic Knight with weapon master and Broadsword-20 can attack 3x/turn at skill 14, including dodge around 45% of attacks will hit, so 1.35 hits/round for 2.7 damage/round.
Sure, but its Regeneration makes that frustrating. And since this isn't quite a boss monster, just a worthy one, there will probably either be a few of them or one flanked by other monsters.

If the GM wants to make the fae reaver into a boss, capable of taking on an entire party, he'll need to take advice from the notes and buff it up. ST 21, Regeneration (4 HP/round), and a necrotizing bite = serious boss threat.

Quote:
Hm. How does alchemist's fire work against swarms? Is it able to get direct hits?
Thrown directly at the reaver, it'll just sail through or at best cause 2 HP burning damage. But if you throw it on the ground, the area-effect damage will hurt it normally.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:55 PM   #57
PK

Bonus Character #2:
Amira Tiro

(Introduced in this Kickstarter update for backers only!)

I enjoy breaking stereotypes, including the ideas that half-ogres are uncouth rabble and that all fantasy women must be supermodels who rely on "waif fu" rather than brute strength. Amira is a genuinely good person whose biggest character flaws come from her cloistered upbringing.

(I also feel that, like bards, martial artists are the hardest delvers to "get right" and make effective, which is why those are the two templates I tackled.)

As Amira's player, I'd spend her first earned character points on Smallsword and Parry Missile Weapons, then try to talk the GM into letting me take Enhanced Parry 2 (Smallsword) instead of (Unarmed); her Dodge is great as-is, but her Parry has the potential to be incredible. After that, Weapon Master (Short Staff) gives 2d+5 damage and Mantis Strike bumps that to a terrifying 3d+5! Amira doesn't need fancy weapons, but she should save up for a suit of heavy plate with Fortify +1 and Lighten 50% (DR 8, $20,000, 36 lbs.), granting her total DR 11 with no increase in encumbrance.

(Her pie-in-the-sky dream armor would be fine, Dwarven, epic plate with Fortify +2 and Lighten 50%. It's +4 DR at the same weight . . . but at $182,000, that won't be happening anytime soon.)

Old 09-29-2016, 03:01 PM   #58
A Ladder

Good writeup of the character. I'm always intrigued with taking the "monstrous races" and turning them into heroes.

One thing I do not like about the new template is that there's no place for Reaction Roll modifiers.
Amira has two traits that modify that negatively and I feel like any of my players would forget that their Reaction roll sucks and would forget to mention it when one would be called for. (IE: Free points).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Gotta be fast to escape the propaganda machine of Viking swiftness
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:46 PM   #59
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Ladder View Post
Good writeup of the character. I'm always intrigued with taking the "monstrous races" and turning them into heroes.

One thing I do not like about the new template is that there's no place for Reaction Roll modifiers.
Amira has two traits that modify that negatively and I feel like any of my players would forget that their Reaction roll sucks and would forget to mention it when one would be called for. (IE: Free points).
The trick is to ask "what's your reaction modifiers?"
That way, the bard with +10 gets reminded too. Which you wouldn't think they'd forget but it happens.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:05 PM   #60
Ternas

Quote:
I enjoy breaking stereotypes, including the ideas that half-ogres are uncouth rabble and that all fantasy women must be supermodels who rely on "waif fu" rather than brute strength. Amira is a genuinely good person whose biggest character flaws come from her cloistered upbringing.
. . .
(Her pie-in-the-sky dream armor would be fine, Dwarven, epic plate with Fortify +2 and Lighten 50%. It's +4 DR at the same weight . . . but at $182,000, that won't be happening anytime soon.)
Personally I love the "monster" races more than I enjoy the others (personal exception being the Half-Elves). Given a choice, I'd be more than happy to take a Kobold (Banestorm) Rogue (Pyramid 3-64) through a Dungeon Fantasy campain, or convert over an Ibixian/Goattaur from some other games for a Barbarian instead of a Faun. Heckfire, I stated out a complete homebrew bipedal rat race for DF complete with power-ups. The one thing that I have learned through fantasy novels, especially care of Granny Weatherwax, is that good doesn't have to be nice and good doesn't have to be soft either.

But for Martial Artists, I think I'd probably prefer to grab an Atlas/Orion (depending on which supplement you're using) amulet first off if you can somehow get one in the new DF:RPG. I learned quickly that if you can, you might as well grab an amulet that passively quadruples your basic lift for purposes of encumbrance for only $5k. Never have to worry about those encumbrance penalties screwing with your martial arts again until you hit a NMZ and by that point your lighten spells are useless anyhow.
Ternas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy