Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 11-02-2018, 10:30 AM   #151
Blue Ghost

Default Re: Multiplayer Fridays

Another thought here; personally I don't like Steam. I never have. I don't want people seeing what games I have, how long I've played them and everything else. I miss buying a CD in a box at the local computer store, bringing it home, installing, and, if it was a good reputable company, you could launch it without patching it.

Multiplayer was built into the game, or there were sites like the old MS Gaming Zone that could facilitate multiplayer games without a Steam like piece of software controlling or keeping tabs on your gaming software and activity. I think that might be a factor, though I don't know for sure.

Steam, GOG and others have the advantage in that they cut down on piracy by keeping track of who bought what, and making the software more readily available and cheaper, but it's like it's at the cost of fewer MP games.

So, whatever the cure it brings in a large player base.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:38 PM   #152
selenite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
The things that irritate me the most (in no particular order)
  • you can't pick what scenario to play in ranked play - I get tired of playing the same thing over and over. There needs to be a way to select this
  • you can't talk to the person you are playing against - You can't make friends if you can't meet new people. It's next to impossible to friend request someone after the fact because Steam SUCKS for finding people.
  • you can't start a game offline - This is probably the biggest killer, especially for trying to play a game with people on the other side of the planet. You have to both be logged on, and actively looking for a ranked match for it to connect. Getting a DX sked for ham radio is easier.
Agreed. I'll add one specific to Ogre: I can't play a single player scenario while looking for a multiplayer match. If I have one already started I can, but not while looking. Which really discourages me from leaving the app open.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:36 AM   #153
Blue Ghost

Is anybody going to be on this Friday?
Old 11-14-2018, 01:35 PM   #154
selenite

Well, if somebody's looking . . . I'll sign on when I can, probably around noon Central.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:51 PM   #155
selenite

Been on for a few hours. No nibbles yet. I'll let it keep going overnight.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:27 PM   #156
Blue Ghost

Sorry Selenite. I got caught up trying to work up my Age of Empires 2 ELO. I've had a series of people troll my games over the last couple of years, and I was just on a binge to prove that I was the better player.

It might be interesting if Ogre had a strategic component to it. That might make for more interest in the online version.