Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 10-17-2017, 07:57 PM   #1
tomc

Default Is there an "undo"?

Maybe I'm blind, but I haven't found an "undo". If it's not too late, I'd like to humbly request that one be added.

With an undo would come the need to confirm the end of the phase, since the program would no longer know if the last move in the phase was really the last.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:25 PM   #2
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Is there an "undo"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
Maybe I'm blind, but I haven't found an "undo". If it's not too late, I'd like to humbly request that one be added.

With an undo would come the need to confirm the end of the phase, since the program would no longer know if the last move in the phase was really the last.
no, there isn't. There's a weird "replay turn" that seems broken and I'm not sure what it's supposed to do. The whole turn?

and yes, it's been asked for (several times). Another time won't hurt :-)
Old 10-17-2017, 08:26 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
no, there isn't. There's a weird "replay turn" that seems broken and I'm not sure what it's supposed to do. The whole turn?
That just is a replay (like a sports replay) that shows the last turn again.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:04 AM   #4
offsides

Thirding a request for undo, at least for movement. I can't tell you how many times I've moved something and realized it wasn't what I really wanted to do...

And yes, while I understand the automatic phase advance, I actually prefer having to manually end my phase/turn as it means I've considered everything I need to. Perhaps that can be a togglable setting (and yes, I'll email this one too :P)?
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:09 AM   #5
Thirdpower

Fourth-ing. Especially w/ the 'right click if not all movement points were used' bit.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #6
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
Thirding a request for undo, at least for movement. I can't tell you how many times I've moved something and realized it wasn't what I really wanted to do...
or a movement the !!@#($%!ing AI moved for you that stuck your Ogre in a swamp.

Seriously, we should not be penalized for mistakes the UI makes for us, or a flub because you mis-clicked on something, and should be able to fix it.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:31 AM   #7
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
That just is a replay (like a sports replay) that shows the last turn again.
Why does that even exist (and it doesn't seem to work right, anyway)?
Old 10-18-2017, 10:57 AM   #8
offsides

Quote:
Why does that even exist (and it doesn't seem to work right, anyway)?
I think it's there so you can go over what happened previously when playing multiplayer games, and/or after coming back to a save after a while. In principle it's a good idea, I'm just not sure it's ready for prime-time...
Old 10-20-2017, 09:55 AM   #9
AurochJake

Quote:
or a movement the !!@#($%!ing AI moved for you that stuck your Ogre in a swamp.

Seriously, we should not be penalized for mistakes the UI makes for us, or a flub because you mis-clicked on something, and should be able to fix it.
What do you mean by the UI making mistakes for you? You can draw the path you want to take by clicking on the hexes you want to pass through if you're unhappy with the suggested path.

Thanks
AurochJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:41 AM   #10
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurochJake View Post
What do you mean by the UI making mistakes for you? You can draw the path you want to take by clicking on the hexes you want to pass through if you're unhappy with the suggested path.
I think the issue is that many players (myself included) will simply double-click on the target hex assuming the unit will take the optimal route (which would imply NOT moving through dangerous terrain unless explicitly told to). And then occasionally watch in horror as the unit goes the wrong way...

I think there are a number of minor (or maybe not-so-minor) things that could be improved with the movement UI, including:
  1. Undo last move/reset unit to original position (or the end of the last overrun). Not sure if this should be allowed for ANY unit, or just for the last moved one (I can see arguments for both sides, though I think that an overrun should "fix" movement positions for anything that moved before the overrun was resolved).
  2. Don't show a unit as having move left if it doesn't have enough MP to move out of the hex (e.g., a HVY with 1MP left surrounded by town hexes - you click on it to move and the only hex highlighted to move into is the same hex it's already in...
  3. Allow units currently in the same hex with an enemy unit and that have MP left to initiate/join an overrun in that hex for 1MP (Actually, it's unclear if that's allowed other than against buildings (11.04.2) - we'll have to get Steve to clarify that one!).
  4. When selecting reinforcements for overruns, it would be EXTREMELY helpful if there was some indicator of what hex each listed unit was in. For example, I wanted to overrun a mostly dead Ogre Mk I (just a couple AP left - I wanted it off the board to clear a safe path for my INF) with only 2 of the 7 GEVs that were in range to overrun. I moved the first one and then couldn't figure out which one the other one I wanted to use was from the list. So I just overran with one (which didn't work, because the treadless Ogre rammed the GEV, but I've already emailed you about that bug :)). Perhaps you can highlight the hex with the unit when you hover over it in the list?
  5. Can we please get a hotkey to cancel the currently selected unit rather than having to click the X? The Escape key works wonders as a 'cancel my selection' key in almost any situation :)
  6. You already know about wanting to move multiple units at once.

Thanks for listening, and keep up the great work!