Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-31-2014, 11:57 AM   #131
Langy

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Well, the majority of the figures use my "5 RPM energy = 1 FP" rule (it's morel like 4.3, but 5 feels betteR). I don't see that being a issue. Again, the problem I find is you're only going to need paut in a combat-type situation. Most other times you can just refill it with Path of Magic. And in most combat situations you are probably not actually casting a spell, you're likely using Conditionals or Charms or Potions or whatever. That in turn makes me wonder if you truly need a external refilling mechanism. Of course, if you let the rule for energy sticking around for up to 5 minutes be in use than it does become far more attractive. Hmmm.
The primary use I've found for combat-time 'actual casting of spells' has been for Blocking Spells, since they're almost required to use inborn energy. Though now that I think about it I've always assumed you could only gather energy once for a Blocking Spell; if you can roll multiple times it makes them much more viable on 'gathered' energy.

One of the most powerful advantages I can think of for RPM is the Gizmo advantage, to represent instantly-created, customized Charms suitable for the situation. They're really, really handy.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:14 PM   #132
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Well, your conditionals by nature of being planned out all ahead of time, are usually not tweaked to the specifics of the situation, since you didn't know the specifics of the situation when you prepared them

So I have often (not very often, but definitely often) found that mages are able to use their 18 ER or whatnot to pull off a low powered but 'just what would help here' spell in combat time

So the potential existing for the case of 'I would like to pull off a second 18 ER spell after I have already exhausted my pool' might justify lugging around a potion with you . . . if you use it great, if you dont use it great, but the possibility of wanting to use it is there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
The primary use I've found for combat-time 'actual casting of spells' has been for Blocking Spells, since they're almost required to use inborn energy. Though now that I think about it I've always assumed you could only gather energy once for a Blocking Spell; if you can roll multiple times it makes them much more viable on 'gathered' energy.

One of the most powerful advantages I can think of for RPM is the Gizmo advantage, to represent instantly-created, customized Charms suitable for the situation. They're really, really handy.
Blocking spells are my experience as well. As for Gizmos...yes. One of the players in my Awakening campaign (which is on hiatus) had a modified Path skill of 30 for ice/snow spells and purchased a bunch of gizmos only for...you guessed it - ice/snow charms. He was brutal. He cooled a building that was on fire to save those inside...in under a couple of seconds. It was awesome and epic and suited the campaign, but damn did it make my jaw drop. Of course, we were using Foresight rather than the Basic Set's gizmos (same thing really in this case)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:43 AM   #133
Vilobion

Steal from Pocket Dimension:
Spell Effects: Lesser Sense Crossroads, Lesser Control Crossroads, Lesser Control Matter
Inherent Modifiers: None
Greater Effects: None

This spell allows the caster to sense if any individuals nearby have access to a pocket dimension and then allows the caster to steal from it. The spell is 'blind' about what it steals. This means without adding additional spell effects the caster gains no information about what they are stealing or the capability to control what they specifically take- they move items up to the weight limit they specify when casting.

Typical Casting: Lesser Sense Crossroads (2) + Lesser Control Crossroads (5) + Lesser Control Matter (5) + Subject Weight, 30LBS (1) + Range, 100 yards (10) = 23 energy

Notes: This would work in the MH campaign I'm playing in because the GM has specified that personal pocket dimensions leave weak spots tied to the individual who can access them. Your mileage may vary. Range is range to the person who owns the pocket dimension, while weight controls how much you can steal. Extra energy may be needed to overcome the spell energy of casters who spell their own pocket dimensions into existence.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:16 AM   #134
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilobion View Post
Steal from Pocket Dimension:
Spell Effects: Lesser Sense Crossroads, Lesser Control Crossroads, Lesser Control Matter
Inherent Modifiers: None
Greater Effects: None

This spell allows the caster to sense if any individuals nearby have access to a pocket dimension and then allows the caster to steal from it. The spell is 'blind' about what it steals. This means without adding additional spell effects the caster gains no information about what they are stealing or the capability to control what they specifically take- they move items up to the weight limit they specify when casting.

Typical Casting: Lesser Sense Crossroads (2) + Lesser Control Crossroads (5) + Lesser Control Matter (5) + Subject Weight, 30LBS (1) + Range, 100 yards (10) = 23 energy

Notes: This would work in the MH campaign I'm playing in because the GM has specified that personal pocket dimensions leave weak spots tied to the individual who can access them. Your mileage may vary. Range is range to the person who owns the pocket dimension, while weight controls how much you can steal. Extra energy may be needed to overcome the spell energy of casters who spell their own pocket dimensions into existence.
Ditch Lesser Control Matter and make Control Crossroads a Greater effect (which you need to grab the pocket dimension). Add a Greater Sense Crossroads effect if you're trying to steal a specific pocket dimension from someone. You'll need to add extra energy for a extradimensional range as well (+10 energy). As a GM I would require you to succeed a Path of Crossroads skill roll vs. the caster whose pocket dimension you're trying to steal - success means its your now. Otherwise - looks good.

Become a Patron!
Old 09-16-2014, 10:53 PM   #135
ajardoor

Hey, need a second opinion on this one, it is basically an adaptation of the D&D spell Glitterdust...

Shining Judgement
Spell Effects:
Greater Create Energy.
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Trait, Blindness + Altered Trait, Remove Invisibility + Bestows a Bonus, Vision rolls to notice the subject.
Greater Effects: 1 (x3).

This spell affects an area of 20 yards that is within 10 yards of the caster and lasts 10 minutes. It coats subjects and invisible objects with an intensely bright light.
Targets within the area of effect who fail to resist become blinded (B124) for the duration of the spell, unless they have Bright Vision or similar protection against intense light sources. Any invisible creatures (who fail to resist) or objects within the area of effect are outlined by the light for the duration of the spell, which effectively cancels out their invisibility (although the outline effect wouldn't reveal, say, the colour of the revealed), and can be noticed at +4 to Vision rolls (thanks to the whole 'glowing extremely brightly' thing).

Typical Casting: Greater Create Energy (6) + Altered Trait, Remove Invisibility (8) + Altered Trait, Blindness (10) + Area of Effect, 20 yards (6) + Range, 10 yards (4) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Bestows a Bonus, +4 for Vision rolls to see subject (8). 129 energy (43x3).

What odd you think, everyone?
Old 09-16-2014, 11:05 PM   #136
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
Hey, need a second opinion on this one, it is basically an adaptation of the D&D spell Glitterdust...

Shining Judgement
Spell Effects:
Greater Create Energy.
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Trait, Blindness + Altered Trait, Remove Invisibility + Bestows a Bonus, Vision rolls to notice the subject.

This spell affects an area of 20 yards that is within 10 yards of the caster and lasts 10 minutes. It coats subjects and invisible objects with an intensely bright light.
Targets within the area of effect who fail to resist become blinded (B124) for the duration of the spell, unless they have Bright Vision or similar protection against intense light sources. Any invisible creatures (who fail to resist) or objects within the area of effect are outlined by the light for the duration of the spell, which effectively cancels out their invisibility (although the outline effect wouldn't reveal, say, the colour of the revealed), and can be noticed at +4 to Vision rolls (thanks to the whole 'glowing extremely brightly' thing).

Typical Casting: Greater Create Energy (6) + Altered Trait, Remove Invisibility (8) + Altered Trait, Blindness (10) + Area of Effect, 20 yards (6) + Range, 10 yards (4) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Bestows a Bonus, +4 for Vision rolls to see subject (8). 129 energy (43x3).

What odd you think, everyone?
Combined the Altered Traits into a single trait. You'll need a second Lesser Control Energy effect for the Bestows a Bonus - otherwise that looks ok

Become a Patron!
Old 09-17-2014, 12:42 AM   #137
ajardoor

Would the combined Altered Traits be worth 18 energy or what?
Old 09-17-2014, 04:28 AM   #138
ajardoor

Revised version, along with some other rituals that might need checking;

---
Shining Judgement
Spell Effects: Greater Create Energy + Lesser Control Energy.
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Traits, Blindness and Remove Invisibility + Bestows a Bonus, Vision rolls to notice the subject.

Typical Casting: Greater Create Energy (6) + Lesser Control Energy (5) + Altered Traits, Remove Invisibility and Blindness (18) + Area of Effect, 20 yards (6) + Range, 10 yards (4) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Bestows a Bonus, +4 for Vision rolls to see subject (8). 144 energy (48x3).

---
Kentucky Windage
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Chance.
Inherent Modifiers: Bestows a Bonus, to-hit roll with a gunshot.
Greater Effects: 0 (x1).

When this conditional ritual is triggered, the subject's next Guns roll to shoot a target gets a +5 bonus.

Typical Casting: Lesser Control Chance (5) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Bestows a Bonus, +5 to-hit roll with a single gunshot (16). 26 energy (26x1).

---
Basilisk Sigil
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Magic + Lesser Sense Mind + Greater Destroy Mind.
Inherent Modifiers: Affliction, Paralysis.

This spell is cast as a charm on a piece of paper with a snake sigil on it, which is then usually folded up for safety reasons. When anyone looks at the sigil on the paper charm, it triggers the spell to paralyse the reader (B429) for 10 minutes.

Typical Casting: Lesser Control Magic (5) + Lesser Sense Mind (2) + Greater Destroy Mind (5) + Affliction, Paralysis (30) + Duration, 10 minutes (1). 129 energy (43x3).
Old 09-17-2014, 01:31 PM   #139
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Shining Judgement
Spell Effects: Greater Create Energy + Lesser Control Energy.
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Traits, Blindness and Remove Invisibility + Bestows a Bonus, Vision rolls to notice the subject.

Typical Casting: Greater Create Energy (6) + Lesser Control Energy (5) + Altered Traits, Remove Invisibility and Blindness (18) + Area of Effect, 20 yards (6) + Range, 10 yards (4) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Bestows a Bonus, +4 for Vision rolls to see subject (8). 144 energy (48x3).
Looks good.

Quote:
Kentucky Windage
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Chance.
Inherent Modifiers: Bestows a Bonus, to-hit roll with a gunshot.
Greater Effects: 0 (x1).

When this conditional ritual is triggered, the subject's next Guns roll to shoot a target gets a +5 bonus.

Typical Casting: Lesser Control Chance (5) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Bestows a Bonus, +5 to-hit roll with a single gunshot (16). 26 energy (26x1).
Also good.

Quote:
Basilisk Sigil
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Magic + Lesser Sense Mind + Greater Destroy Mind.
Inherent Modifiers: Affliction, Paralysis.

This spell is cast as a charm on a piece of paper with a snake sigil on it, which is then usually folded up for safety reasons. When anyone looks at the sigil on the paper charm, it triggers the spell to paralyse the reader (B429) for 10 minutes.

Typical Casting: Lesser Control Magic (5) + Lesser Sense Mind (2) + Greater Destroy Mind (5) + Affliction, Paralysis (30) + Duration, 10 minutes (1). 129 energy (43x3).
Also good.

Become a Patron!
Old 09-19-2014, 03:50 AM   #140
ajardoor

The Assassination of Heracles
Spell Effects: Greater Control Mind.
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Traits, Bad Temper (no SC) and Berserk (no SC).

This spell is cast on a subject within 20 yards of the caster, who must resist or suffer from uncontrollable Bad Temper (B124) and Berserk (B124) for a day. This means that the subject will become murderously violent immediately after any sort of provocation while the spell is in effect. Typically, this spell is used to covertly assassinate a target by provoking him into effectively committing 'suicide-by-cop', or in order to discredit the subject. It might also be used to turn a target's bodyguard into a 'Manchurian Agent'.

Typical Casting: Greater Control Mind (5) + Duration, 24 hours (7) + Range, 20 yards (6) + Altered Traits, Bad Temper (no SC, x2.5) and Berserk (no SC, x2.5) (10). 84 energy (28x3).

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology