Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #41
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Banestormed Academics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchking View Post
uh...ROTC...ok...national guard...I don't think I can go quite that far...mebbe an armory with some interesting toys the rotize kids can use......
There are a lot more (haphazardly filled) armories than there are active Guard companies.

If you're taking an entire small college town surrounding an A&M school there's very likely to be a gun store in town for most of the semi-rurual US.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:05 AM   #42
Blind Mapmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
I thought the whole point of having Anglish as the language of Yrth was so that people Banestormed there could switch to it from English with little trouble. Introducing realistic linguistic shift kinda interferes with that purpose.
Little trouble would be okay for a cinematic campaign, but several centuries of linguistic evolution, even if it is fairly parallel, would make a difference in a somewhat realistic treatment. I think broken comprehension for a native Modern English speaker is fine, but the Chaucer scholar might be able to get by using his perfect Middle English to speak Anglish at accented comprehension.

From a gameplay point of view this stops making sense when nobody wants to play those ivory tower literature scholars. Of course, I've got at least two players who would want to do something just like that. It all depends on the group you're playing with.
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:01 AM   #43
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
There are a lot more (haphazardly filled) armories than there are active Guard companies.

If you're taking an entire small college town surrounding an A&M school there's very likely to be a gun store in town for most of the semi-rurual US.
Right!! Thats why I was willing to give on an actual NG Armory...with toys (ie grab bag of weapons) some of them a lot less than cutting edge 2012 stuff (gee I think even the M3 Grease Gun with screw up an Orcs day!!).

If it were to still be a (semi) active armory I was even willing to bend on having a full time soldier (Master Sarge) whose "job" is if the call from Washington comes...to start the call tree (calling officers who call lower ranks who call) to mobilize the unit...and that he and the Armory would get caught up in the storm.

I just wanted to put forward my opinion that a full on company...even of underequipped National Guard troops...going to Yrth with an entire College (plus perhaps town) to backstop them...would be a bit of a wrecking ball.

My opinion but I just thought an actual formal, drilled, experienced, professional company plus sized unit would tilt the balance the OP might have been looking for...YMMV.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #44
Astromancer

Quote:
uh...ROTC...ok...national guard...I don't think I can go quite that far...mebbe an armory with some interesting toys the rotize kids can use...maybe maybe an older Master Sarge with the NG Armory call tree (useless now) but a lot of practical military and admin experience...but an actual Guard company (or larger)...that just pushes the disbelief a little much for me...YMMV...but...
Oh, let them have an old Bazooka to blast the orcs with. They've got to have some fun.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #45
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Oh, let them have an old Bazooka to blast the orcs with. They've got to have some fun.
Thought I covered that pretty thouroughly in post #43...I have no problem with the odd Bazooka, LAW Rocket, 81mm Mortar, SAW, etc, etc...covered under the heading toys.

Just a company plus of people fully trained to use them together as a combined arms formation IMHO would take away the fun phase of the (PCS) ROTC kay-dets and professers trying to get the student body to use them properly...
Old 02-20-2012, 06:12 AM   #46
Astromancer

Quote:
Just a company plus of people fully trained to use them together as a combined arms formation IMHO would take away the fun phase of the (PCS) ROTC kay-dets and professers trying to get the student body to use them properly...
Well, given that I have the school make the transfer durring a period when groups with special duties are there, could we assume that there was somekind of drill or manuvers going on. A part of a company of people recieving training was at the school when the Banestorm struck.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #47
Jovus

I don't have Banestorm on me at the moment, but it seems like, if you desired, you could say that:

1) practically nobody from the Danelaw got transported.
2) the Curia and Megalos, as unifying forces for the early Christian world, exerted much more Latin influence than was experienced by the English, so far away from Rome, before around 1400.
3) while not a majority, there were enough Francophones who got transported to Yrth to impact the language, since the Banestorm picked from all over Europe and not just the British Isles.
4) Aratrerre, being technologically slightly more advanced and the prize territory of Megalos, exerted a surprising influence on Megalan high society. (the Emperor's children and all the fashionable nobles like to imitate their styles.)

Seems to me that this set of circumstances could just plausibly enough mimic the development of English to parallel events like the Great Vowel Shift.
Jovus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banestorm