Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 07-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #21
Epic Kobold

Default Re: [OOC] The Marching Storm

The Reptile-man is back.
Spoiler:  

I think it works out this time.

I'm kicking around names for him, than I'll set him up with a sheet good and proper.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #22
Harry O'Gane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Kobold View Post
The Reptile-man is back.
Spoiler:  

I think it works out this time.

I'm kicking around names for him, than I'll set him up with a sheet good and proper.
I deem this legit.

We'll work on the story via PM if you'd like.

Marko
Harry O'Gane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:56 PM   #23
zoncxs

Here is mine:

Spoiler:  

if all is good I will think of some other stuff else.

Last edited by zoncxs; 07-13-2011 at 09:55 AM.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #24
Lamech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry O'Gane View Post
@Lamech: No, those things are also a tad bit too much. I'd allow them if we played a Banestorm campaign in, let's say, Sahud. Besides, you could make a shabby martial artist/weapon master with 150 pts, where you could make a pretty good soldier/mercenary with those 150.
Missed the attribute limit. I'm not sure what you mean with "shabby weapon master" vs. "good soldier". If you have a normal archer and add weapon master you just end up with someone who hits harder. Seems to me like its "soldier" vs "better soldier" (I can see why power blow would be viewed as silly though...)
Quote:
Regarding the main PC, you could wait a bit until other people join and take the part, but if nothing, you could take the role. It wouldn't put a big impediment on you, but your backstory will be greatly tailored by me. Also, basic Strategy and Leadership skill will be required for you to place on your sheet. Other than that, you'll see if you accept the "job" as a main PC.

Marko
First by basic do you mean like one CP or do you mean something like say... a skill of 12?
Although if Skullcrusher can pull it off with his merc idea I think that would work best...

On that note the assembling of a character sheet will begin anew. It takes time especially when rechecking for points... I'll also probably shoot some ideas for talents by you.
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #25
Harry O'Gane

@Lamech: I misiterpreted something in your message. I thought you were thinking of something as a martial artist. Ignore that post, then.

One Talent that could really prove useful is the Born War Hero, which gives a lot of bonuses to skill such as Leadership and Strategy (although I need to check that). Now, it would be interesting if both of you would take the role of being Lord Walton's nephews. One would be a local marksman legend, (namely Lamech), whole the other would be a well-known mercenary leader (namely Skullcrusher). Even though their uncle is a noble, it doesn't necessarily mean they have to be fully-fledged nobles.

Their mothers might've been of noble blood, but married to merchants or craftsmen. In this case, they would renounce their titles of nobles, as is the case in Caithness.

Marko
Harry O'Gane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #26
Lamech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry O'Gane View Post
@Lamech: I misiterpreted something in your message. I thought you were thinking of something as a martial artist. Ignore that post, then.
Cool, in that case I'll take weapon master.

Also talents to run by you:
A modified version of Outdoorsman: Tracking, Survival, Camouflage, and Naturalist for 5/points a level.
Mimicary, fishing, and Navigation were dropped for two reasons:
First off I don't see how they fit. What in the hell does being able to use compasses and navigation tools have to do with outdoorsman-ship? Seriously most flavors of navigation wouldn't even be used outdoors. Fishing and Mimicry also don't make sense. Survival, Naturalist, Camouflague, and Tracking all have to do with looking for signs on the ground seeing edible plants, making yourself look like the surroundings ect. Mimicry deals with... fine control of ones vocalcords. Fishing is the proper technique to get fish to bite.
Secondly it gets the cost down so I can use it.

Then something kifed from action
Craftiness: Acting, Camouflage, Disguise, Holdout, Shadow-
ing, and Stealth. Reaction bonus: none! 5 points/level.

Other than that the character sheet is mostly done. Just need to cobble together some disadvantages, but those can get backstory dependent soo...

Quote:
One Talent that could really prove useful is the Born War Hero, which gives a lot of bonuses to skill such as Leadership and Strategy (although I need to check that). Now, it would be interesting if both of you would take the role of being Lord Walton's nephews. One would be a local marksman legend, (namely Lamech), whole the other would be a well-known mercenary leader (namely Skullcrusher). Even though their uncle is a noble, it doesn't necessarily mean they have to be fully-fledged nobles.
Hmm... I could probably find room to slip that in. But if Skullcrusher is okay with just him being the main PC I would prefer that.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #27
Skullcrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
Cool, in that case I'll take weapon master.

Also talents to run by you:
A modified version of Outdoorsman: Tracking, Survival, Camouflage, and Naturalist for 5/points a level.
Mimicary, fishing, and Navigation were dropped for two reasons:
First off I don't see how they fit. What in the hell does being able to use compasses and navigation tools have to do with outdoorsman-ship? Seriously most flavors of navigation wouldn't even be used outdoors. Fishing and Mimicry also don't make sense. Survival, Naturalist, Camouflague, and Tracking all have to do with looking for signs on the ground seeing edible plants, making yourself look like the surroundings ect. Mimicry deals with... fine control of ones vocalcords. Fishing is the proper technique to get fish to bite.
Secondly it gets the cost down so I can use it.

Then something kifed from action
Craftiness: Acting, Camouflage, Disguise, Holdout, Shadow-
ing, and Stealth. Reaction bonus: none! 5 points/level.

Other than that the character sheet is mostly done. Just need to cobble together some disadvantages, but those can get backstory dependent soo...

Hmm... I could probably find room to slip that in. But if Skullcrusher is okay with just him being the main PC I would prefer that.
I am already taking Born war leader but if someone else wants to take it too that is no problem. Sure what the heck I will be the main PC. But would still like to keep the merc background...I will just ditch the ally group since it costs alot of points anyways.

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #28
Epic Kobold

It is known to everyone who studies such things that among the M'Guk tribe of Reptile-Men in the eastern region of the Great Desert that if a child is born defective, they are tossed out into the desert wasteland to fend for themselves. Most anything can count as a deformity worthy of such a ritual, depending largely on the social standing of the mother. A bad scale pattern, misaligned ridges along the back, even making the “wrong” noises upon hatching. Usually the young thing is picked off by jackals within the hour. Occasionally they are not.

This particular bit of information was running through Walton's mind that day thirty years ago when he was going on a long walk in the desert's edge and he stumbled across the creature. Two feet long and trying to bury its self in the sand when he approached. For most Reptile-Men, this tactic works well with their golden brown scales, but not this one. He suffered from incomplete albinism. His scales glared bright white with two black eyes in sharp contrast. It hissed deeply as Walton approached.

Reptile-Men have been known to show cunning and flashes of deep insight from time to time. They have a written language, albeit a primitive one, and have even (rarely) been seen tending plants in crude gardens to lure in jackrabbits and other wildlife to eat. The theory has long been that if properly educated, the Reptile-Men could become a civilized people. The theory has always been controversial. For one, the young that don't die swiftly in ritual exile are kept far away from the prying eyes of other humanoids, so teaching them was out. Secondly, any attempts to educate the adults usually ended in the educators getting eaten.

What a wonderful and rare opportunity, Walton thought as he brought the struggling package to his home, wrapped tightly in his cloak. By the end of the week he had cotton it...or rather “him” as Walton quickly discovered responded well to food as a reward. He would sit and listen if he knew a fresh slice of raw bacon was coming. Where once there was doubt and a murky primitive mind, there was now understanding. Walton named him Grok.

Walton wrote about his progress over the years. As Grok grew, his thirst for knowledge did the same. He showed particular strengths in Strategic thinking and herbal healing arts. Walton kept careful notes on Grok's progress. It was some twenty years after Grok was discovered crawling in the desert that Walton published his paper “On the intellect and progress of Reptile-Men”. It was thought to be a hoax...a joke. It became so popular as a farce that Walton was asked to read it before a large audience. On the appointed day, Walton claimed to be feeling under the weather part way through the reading, but would have his student, Grok finish for him. The audience snickered as the large, heavily robed form pulled its self on stage and stood behind the podium. They stopped laughing when Grok pulled back his hood and read the paper expertly.

Grok started selling his herbal remedies in the marketplace after that. He'd enlist the aid of a merchant as his own presence in the crowd tended to scare away costumers. Some six months later a knight of the Order of the Old Stone named Danton d'Alleine payed Walton a visit, offering Grok a position as a squire. The Reptile was eager to explore the world some and leaped at the chance. They traveled the land some, righted some wrongs, and had more than a few grand adventures. In the end, Grok felt his true place was back home, with Walton. The Order was sorry to see him go, and unofficially named him an honorary knight, but in the end, Grok went back to Simonton and his Walter. So it went for nearly ten years, Sir Danton would ask Grok along on a few adventures, “Sir” Grok would go along, heal the sick and scare away villains for months at a time but in the end go home. A few weeks later, Danton would return with a new adventure and the pair would off again.

The last time Grok returned home, however, he received an unpleasant shock. Walton had taken quite ill. The Reptile put all his healer skills to the test tending to Walton, but the old man's health remains consistently low. Grok's best guess is that it's stress from the civil war, with which Walton doesn't want to be “mixed up”.

The pair know that the king is a fool, and that the rebels should win this thing if justice is to be done. The old man only speaks on the topic briefly with disgust and annoyance. Grok would do anything to end this war and remove this problem from his guardian's life. “Maybe...” thinks Grok “Maybe if I go calling on the Order of the Old Stone....”
Old 07-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #29
Lamech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullcrusher View Post
I am already taking Born war leader but if someone else wants to take it too that is no problem. Sure what the heck I will be the main PC. But would still like to keep the merc background...I will just ditch the ally group since it costs alot of points anyways.
Cool well then, I will start with the whole writing of backstory and picking of disadvantages with the assumption your the guy. :)
(And thanks for taking up the role...)
Old 07-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #30
Hannes665

Do you got an opening for a PC?

Thinkin old school Knight or at least a warrior?

Do you use the Gurps Low Tech rules for armor?

Darth Vader "Luke! I am your fathers second cousins sisters best friends brother!"

Luke Skywalker "Nooo... eehh What?!"
Hannes665 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banestorm, caithness, civil war, mass combat, yrth