Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-05-2014, 08:34 PM   #1
General Lee

Default [HT] [TS] [UT] Compact/Enhanced Targeting Scope, Precision Aiming and Computer Sights

I was reading a magazine and stumbled with an article describing the Trackpoint Scope. In short, the scope is advertised as capable to shorten the time required to execute an accurate shot.

Trying to put it into use in one of my campaigns, I found some difficulty to make it work.

Using the Computer Sight of High-Tech (p.157)was a good point of start to me. The +1 for guns skill and the +3 due the use of the rangefinder was ok, but still not completely describes what the Trackpoint, or any other scope similar, do.

The Sniper Program (Tactical Shooting, p. 77) gives a bonus of +4 to the Precision Aiming Technique roll, because it points out to the shooter what to do with (adjust) the sight/scope.

If I am not overly wrong, the Trackpoint Scope already represents the refinements of the use of the Precision Aiming technique, at least giving its bonus almost instantly. So, a bonus for this roll is often meaningless.

In the Ultra-Tech, I found the description of the Compact Targeting Scope (CTS) and the Enhanced Targeting Scope - ETS (p.149). Both gives, at TL9, +2 and + 3 to aimed shots, respectively.

So, I am prone to use as template the Compact/Enhanced Targeting Scope to represent the Trackpoint, or similar, Scope, but at TL8.

It would give +3 for the Targeting Program (as in the Computer Sight, but using the bonus of the ETS), +3 for the Rangefinder, plus the magnification bonus of the Scope.

So, a shooter using this kind of scope with 12x magnification fitted, i.e. calibrated, to a rifle (Acc 6, using handloaded Match ammo) would benefit of the following bonuses in a normal combat shot:

+1 for AoA(determined)
+1 for Braced
+6 for Rifle Acc
+2 for Handloaded Match Ammo
+3 for Scope Acc
+2 for Additional aiming turns
+3 for knowing the exact distance (Rangefinder)
+3 Targeting Program

Amounting to a bonus of +21. Note that if using the optional rule of Minute of Angle (Tactical Shooting, p.32), a shooter with a high skill would be near the cap limit.

Finally, am I in the right direction? Am I missing something?

How many turns is necessary to claim all those bonuses above? Is really less than simply using Precision Aiming?

Comments, please.

Thanks in Advance.
General Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
General Lee

Default Re: [HT][TS][UT] Compact/Enhanced Targeting Scope, Precision Aiming and Computer Sigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Finally, am I in the right direction? Am I missing something?

How many turns is necessary to claim all those bonuses above? Is really less than simply using Precision Aiming?

In addition, the use of the Scope described above could somehow hamper the use of Precision Aiming at all?
Old 12-09-2014, 06:43 AM   #3
General Lee

Default Re: [HT] [TS] [UT] Compact/Enhanced Targeting Scope, Precision Aiming and Computer Si

Douglas Cole post this in his blog.

It clarify a lot for me. I think it could help others as well, concerning "smart" scopes.

Thanks, DC.

Last edited by General Lee; 12-09-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:17 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [HT] [TS] [UT] Compact/Enhanced Targeting Scope, Precision Aiming and Computer Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Douglas Cole post this in his blog.

It clarify a lot for me. i think it could help others as well, concerning "smart" scopes.

Thanks, DC.
It was an interesting blogpost, but I'm still not sure what to make of it:
On one hand, the description mostly seems to match the description of a Computer Sight. On the other, the proposed game mechanics are totally different from what Computer Sight do in GURPS. And I'm not sure if the Computer Sights are supposed to include a function that prevents firing unless the computer thinks you're on target - both at TL8 and TL9.

One way that I considered is for TrackingPoint to allow you to simply waste a turn without firing the bullet if you fail the skill roll.

Tags
high-tech, modern firepower, tactical shooting, ultra-tech