Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-28-2018, 12:10 PM   #1
Dominator

Default Megahex tiling with 5 foot grid

Playing around with map tile ideas. This is a squashed hex version of megahexes overlaid with a 5-foot square grid that will tile (slight overlap at edges).

Distances fudged a little, 5-foot grid shows 55 feet, but 14 4-foot hexes is 56 feet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7jgv4bl1wd...5foot.pdf?dl=0

My first time sharing with Dropbox; please let me know if there are problems viewing the PDF.

Thanks.

Last edited by Dominator; 08-28-2018 at 12:23 PM. Reason: clarification
Dominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:03 PM   #2
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Default Re: Megahex tiling with 5 foot grid

It seems to be viewable.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:14 AM   #3
Dominator

I'm no artist or cartographer, but TFT is motivating me to start learning CC again; bought it years ago and never got very far due to learning curve.

I like the idea of tiling the plane using basic hexes or rectangles for easy scaling up or down, that also keeps megahexes in their proper positions.

In this example, the large hexes are 7-hexes flat to flat, giving identical area as a mega-megahex (if not exactly the same shape, half-hex notches on each side), and allow normal hex tiling so the megahexes line up.

The blue rectagle allows retangular tiling, allowing both the megahexes and 7-hex large hexes to tile correctly.
These are not squashed hexes, so assuming 4' tactical hexes, the rectangle is 56' tall and about 48.5' wide.

For scale this example shows a layout like the Melee map in the darker hexes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dksdehamiy...test1.pdf?dl=0
Old 09-11-2018, 07:26 PM   #4
fisherro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominator View Post
In this example, the large hexes are 7-hexes flat to flat, giving identical area as a mega-megahex (if not exactly the same shape, half-hex notches on each side), and allow normal hex tiling so the megahexes line up.
Not to long ago, I had the epiphany that by rotating the grain of mega-megahexes in the opposite direction, you could get it to line up with the grain of the hexes. This graphic is a nice illustration of that.
fisherro is offline   Reply With Quote