Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-15-2018, 04:22 PM   #11
JLV

Default Re: Hardened - replaces Warrior and Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Yes, that's undervalued. Should be 2, and probably only available at 2 levels. If there was such a thing as 1.5 tht's what I would have written. But I think the ability to deflect/absorb damage is not unrealistic at all. Some of it is rolling with the punches, and some people are just tough. It's really a mental quality as much as a physical, I think. But we are not adding a Will stat so the mental side is not recognized.
What IQ level is it going to be available at? IQ 9? Maybe one way to make it more expensive to pick up would be to up the IQ level or to require an additional IQ point per level (i.e., first level of Hardness is at IQ 9, 2nd at IQ 10, and 3rd -- if you keep it -- at IQ 11). It doesn't really scan logically in a real-world sense, but at the same time, if IQ ALSO represents willpower, then maybe it does make sense...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:03 PM   #12
ecz

Quote:
Replace Warrior and Veteran with:

Hardened (1): Represents the toughness and expertise gained from years of combat experience. You are tough and hard to hit, and you know how to take a blow. You may take this talent up to 3 times. Each “Hardened” subtracts one point from every attack made against you.
Prerequisite: ST 12 for one level, ST 13 for two or more.
In this form everyone will take this talent at level III ASAP . It cannot be a bad choice.
So please re-consider.

Also I'm in the camp of who loves the old names. But I understand that they can be changed for sake of semplicity.
In my opinion they must be IQ 9 and 10 talents, both at cost of two points each and no level three available.

Better than a mere ST prerequisite I would require one year in game time of life of the PC after he gets level 1 before he can gain level two. (unless the PC starts with these talents already in the card)
Old 07-15-2018, 05:10 PM   #13
JLV

I'm going to suggest going with the name "toughness" rather than "hardened," for various reasons.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:23 PM   #14
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I'm going to suggest going with the name "toughness" rather than "hardened," for various reasons.
Um... yeah, the slang connotations... Double entendre...
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:18 PM   #15
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I agree. We always called them that anyway.

I also think Missile Weapons should be called "Marksmanship" as that says more clearly what the Talent is about.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:25 PM   #16
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Replace Warrior and Veteran with:

Hardened (1): Represents the toughness and expertise gained from years of combat experience. You are tough and hard to hit, and you know how to take a blow. You may take this talent up to 3 times. Each “Hardened” subtracts one point from every attack made against you.
Prerequisite: ST 12 for one level, ST 13 for two or more.
Hi Steve, everyone.
This seems awfully good. I would suggest the names Warrior / Veteran / Campaigner.

It seems too easy for low ST figures to get. I would suggest that they require 12, 14 and 16 ST respectively. That way, only someone who is seriously into heavy fighter would be able to get the top level talent.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:23 PM   #17
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
It seems too easy for low ST figures to get. I would suggest that they require 12, 14 and 16 ST respectively. That way, only someone who is seriously into heavy fighter would be able to get the top level talent.
I like Rick's suggested requisite ST levels a lot - Coupled with Chris' increased costs from post #2.

I would further suggest the more colorful: Warrior I, Warrior II, and Warrior III; over "hardened".

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:48 PM   #18
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Yes, that's undervalued. Should be 2, and probably only available at 2 levels. If there was such a thing as 1.5 tht's what I would have written. But I think the ability to deflect/absorb damage is not unrealistic at all. Some of it is rolling with the punches, and some people are just tough. ...
Hi Steve, everyone.
If you want the first two talents to cost 1.5 memory each, have the second level cost 3 and INCLUDE the first one in the second.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:00 PM   #19
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Rick - so there would be one three-point talent? The math works but it sure is granular.

I like Toughness better than Hardened. I would like to get away from Warrior and Veteran because they imply service and a tough character could very well be civilian.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:00 PM   #20
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Rick - so there would be one three-point talent? The math works but it sure is granular.

I like Toughness better than Hardened. I would like to get away from Warrior and Veteran because they imply service and a tough character could very well be civilian.
Toughness works too; and has a bit more color than hardened.

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote