Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 09-07-2018, 02:12 PM   #21
Racer

Default Re: OR Reverse Trikes & OR Subs HC Questions ?

I forgot to Link the HMG and Overdrive .

The Smoke DOESN'T effect the HMGs shot - there was a ruling on this way back . At the time the shot is taken , the weapons path is clear . A fraction of a second later the Smoke is released .

If I'm being chased , I then tend to wait for pursuing vehicle to exit or move around the cloud before taking next shot . That Trike hasn't been tested in Combat yet & I dare say could do with numerous tweaks .

I detest Flechette Guns , unless used in very rare circumstances . Will never forgot one player using four linked together to Area Effect a large crowd in a Hit-and-Run Attack scenario . Only to find out most of the pedestrians were Police with Riot Shields ... which count as vehicular Armour & thus immune to Flechette damage & absorbing 2/3 of those FG attacks .

Last edited by Racer; 09-07-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:15 PM   #22
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by juris View Post
FGs are about the worst weapon in the game - the ultimate anti ped weapon is the MML with explosive ammo. Just fire at the ground within 2" and multiple peds die. Two linked MMLs do 2DD burst effect.
That's fine for ped-shredding; tire-shredding is a whole other kettle of fish.

Quote:
Also, should trikes need smart links for R&L weapons? I say no trikes need all the help they can get. This is their main advantage, don't penalize it. The smart link was clearly designed to allow turreted weapons to link to other vehicular weapons. It was something they added to the rules after trikes were introduced, and trikes have always been allowed to fire side weapons together.
I've found that ruling to be one of those which is "noted more in the breach than the practice"....

Quote:
Yeah, I don't know how linking a MG to a SS would work if you wanted to fire the SS on automatic. I assumed this wasn't possible but I can't point to any rule that says you can't.
This one's easy: When the MG is aimed-fire, the SS also fires -- and since the SS isn't aimed in the first place, it doesn't matter if it's linked to a dissimilar weapon, or a weapon not in the same arc, or both. (I can't remember which Q&A said this, but: The MG shot won't be affected by the SS.)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:38 AM   #23
Magesmiley

Quote:
Also, should trikes need smart links for R&L weapons? I say no trikes need all the help they can get. This is their main advantage, don't penalize it. The smart link was clearly designed to allow turreted weapons to link to other vehicular weapons. It was something they added to the rules after trikes were introduced, and trikes have always been allowed to fire side weapons together.

Yeah, I don't know how linking a MG to a SS would work if you wanted to fire the SS on automatic. I assumed this wasn't possible but I can't point to any rule that says you can't.
There was a formal ruling in one of the issues of Pyramid that trikes do require a Smart Link to fire from different sides (L&R) together. A couple of other places besides turrets and rocket platforms that this would apply IMO would be sponsons and corner mounts. (And also keep in mind that laser guided rockets are a special case.)

Smoke linked to aimed weapons fire... I can't recall an official ruling, however as they are simultaneous and I'd assume that you were aiming the weapon before you hit the fire button which triggers both weapons. As a result, the smoke penalty wouldn't apply. That's how I would rule it.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:46 PM   #24
swordtart

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
I'll have a look tonight to see how an equivalent compact bears up.
Backbiter -- Compact, Extra-Heavy chassis, Off-Road suspension, Medium power plant, High-Torque Motors, 4 Off-Road Puncture-Resistant tires, Driver w/BA and PFE, Heavy Machine Gun Back, Smokescreen Back w/10 shots Hot Smoke, Heavy-Duty Shocks, Overdrive, Sloped Composite Metal/Plastic Armor: F0/30, L0/35, R0/35, B15/20, T0/10, U0/10, 2 5-pt Wheelguards Back, 2 5-pt Wheelhubs Front, Gear Allocation: [15 lbs.], Acceleration 5 (+5 w/HTMs), Top Speed 90 +20 w/Overdrive, HC 2, 4185 lbs., $13199
(using Combat Garage).

A little more expensive, but much more resilient to the rear aspect. It doesn't have CA as it doesn't really need it as you have to get through that metal tombstone first. The side armour is pared down as it won't be routinely exposing it. The sloping armour makes it harder to hit in compensation.

You need some links (I couldn't find how to add them) - but that is cost only. I left some weight spare as combat garage doesn't seem to include crew personal equipment in the weight.

I have the same weapon load out to minimise the differences, but personally I'd dump the SS and put in a paint sprayer instead. It has more ammo and can have a persistent effect even after you have driven out of it. The fact that it will dissipate after 2 seconds won't be relevant in a running fight.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:48 PM   #25
Magesmiley

Quote:
Backbiter -- Compact, Extra-Heavy chassis, Off-Road suspension, Medium power plant, High-Torque Motors, 4 Off-Road Puncture-Resistant tires, Driver w/BA and PFE, Heavy Machine Gun Back, Smokescreen Back w/10 shots Hot Smoke, Heavy-Duty Shocks, Overdrive, Sloped Composite Metal/Plastic Armor: F0/30, L0/35, R0/35, B15/20, T0/10, U0/10, 2 5-pt Wheelguards Back, 2 5-pt Wheelhubs Front, Gear Allocation: [15 lbs.], Acceleration 5 (+5 w/HTMs), Top Speed 90 +20 w/Overdrive, HC 2, 4185 lbs., $13199
(using Combat Garage).

A little more expensive, but much more resilient to the rear aspect. It doesn't have CA as it doesn't really need it as you have to get through that metal tombstone first. The side armour is pared down as it won't be routinely exposing it. The sloping armour makes it harder to hit in compensation.

You need some links (I couldn't find how to add them) - but that is cost only. I left some weight spare as combat garage doesn't seem to include crew personal equipment in the weight.

I have the same weapon load out to minimise the differences, but personally I'd dump the SS and put in a paint sprayer instead. It has more ammo and can have a persistent effect even after you have driven out of it. The fact that it will dissipate after 2 seconds won't be relevant in a running fight.

One weak point that could use a bit of shoring up is the top armor - off-road terrain is seldom completely level.

Links hide under the gear button at the bottom of the Garage.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:03 AM   #26
swordtart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
One weak point that could use a bit of shoring up is the top armor - off-road terrain is seldom completely level.
To be honest given the height of a compact, it is weak for on-road activity as well. On level ground any turreted vehicle can target the top as an out of arc shot (which applies to the trike as well).

I used the same values as the proposed trike to simplify direct comparison. By using sloping armour it makes it marginally better than the trike as the out of arc shot is now at -3.

As the scenario put the "tailgunner" as the aggressor, we must assume that it waits for favourable terrain before initiating its attack. Any retribution will need to follow behind him, so he can largely choose the path the battle follows. That said if he finds himself outclassed, extraction could prove difficult (which is a fundamental issue with this attack vector).

Last edited by swordtart; 09-12-2018 at 06:02 AM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:23 PM   #27
juris

Turreted pickups are theoretically supreme for this same reason.

Side note: Allowing this interpretation would definitely cause someone to flip the table in a duel. All those 10 points or less of top armor vehicles are obsolete.

Quote:
To be honest given the height of a compact, it is weak for on-road activity as well. On level ground any turreted vehicle can target the top as an out of arc shot (which applies to the trike as well).
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:43 PM   #28
43Supporter

Quote:
Side note: Allowing this interpretation would definitely cause someone to flip the table in a duel. All those 10 points or less of top armor vehicles are obsolete.
Depends on the duel -- in all my experience, I've never seen an arena duel with a Compact *and* a Pickup; there's just too must divergence in cost.

That said: I certainly wouldn't allow it in my events.

79er

Old 09-12-2018, 03:54 PM   #29
juris

A pickup is higher than a lux... - so a turret pickup could drill the roof of just about anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
Depends on the duel -- in all my experience, I've never seen an arena duel with a Compact *and* a Pickup; there's just too must divergence in cost.

That said: I certainly wouldn't allow it in my events.
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:45 PM   #30
43Supporter

Quote:
A pickup is higher than a lux... - so a turret pickup could drill the roof of just about anyone
Well, my F-150 is higher than most, and it's factory-stock; however, I have seen pickups (and vans!) which are *lower* than mine. So I find it simpler to not use the "shooting at Top armor" rules within a "class" of vehicle -- down that road lies Rules-Lawyering, and that sort of thing is best Barney-Fifed. :)

79er