Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 08-27-2020, 06:33 AM   #1
hcobb

Default How to build a wizard's tower

Suggestion #1: Stone elementals tunnel through rock at the same rate as a dwarf with tools, by reshaping and moving the rock rather than shattering it. Some wizards use this ability to raise stone towers that are extensions of the dungeons below them in the same way that an ant hill is made of the earth removed from below.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:31 AM   #2
tomc

Default Re: How to build a wizard's tower

Great ideas like this are why I keep reading this board.

Thanks Henry!

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:41 AM   #3
David Bofinger

Start by asking why a wizard wants a tower. Once you know that you'll have some idea what it looks like. Then you can figure out how to build it.

I don't know of any earth elemental ability that's especially useful. Regular construction might be the best way.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:27 AM   #4
TimRemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
Start by asking why a wizard wants a tower. Once you know that you'll have some idea what it looks like. Then you can figure out how to build it.

I don't know of any earth elemental ability that's especially useful. Regular construction might be the best way.
What about inverting the Tower? Levels tunneling down into the ground or at some point in a dungeon. If from the surface, there could be a small hut with a trapdoor. A fireplace could have a grill to allow for air flow, etc.
TimRemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:58 AM   #5
hcobb

Why a tower? Because there is no other alternative! And I have the missing piece for my next adventure to cool down in after the tropical spice islands.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:57 AM   #6
Terquem

reminds me of the puzzle, "How can you discover the height of a building with only a barometer?"

You take the barometer to the architect and tell him, "Hey, I'll give you this barometer if you tell me how high the building is."

So, in my mind you don't build a wizards tower - you find a tower that suits your needs and take it by rights or by force.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:54 AM   #7
TimRemp

After decades of gaming, I've only had one character with the ability to build a tower. I fashioned it on a already existing foundation so it was a ruin at first. Three stories with a glass rosette window on the third floor. Random encounters were tough but wow ...it was awesome when it was done.
TimRemp is offline   Reply With Quote