Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 12-16-2020, 01:02 PM   #11
kjamma4

Default Re: Uncle Albert's Catalog BINDER (Long Post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
Sometimes I even cut up a binder page to make a strip or small block of pockets and put groupings of cards in those for reference during play.
This sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure how many active cards will be the norm for each player but grouping them together will eliminate clutter/loss during play.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:45 PM   #12
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
This sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure how many active cards will be the norm for each player but grouping them together will eliminate clutter/loss during play.
Driver+Gunner+Hand Cannon+Optional Body Armor
And 1-2 Weapons/Structure cards per side

So minimum 3, but probably 7-12 for a starting point.
Definitely 5 Zones to cover.

Actually, a single uncut binder sheet would do for a very simplistic car model. 4 Crew slots in the center, 2 Equipment slots on each side, 1 Equipment slot on each corner that you can designate to a particular side.

Last edited by JimTullis; 12-16-2020 at 09:04 PM.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 11:19 PM   #13
schoon

This is slightly OT in relation to the OP, but what are other ways folks are considering storing their cards?

I haven't been a binder guy for quite some time, but I haven't run into a game like this for some time either - my "best guess" would be a card storage box with tabs to separate card types.
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 03:13 AM   #14
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoon View Post
This is slightly OT in relation to the OP, but what are other ways folks are considering storing their cards?
Glad to have more discussion. Also, I'm only planning on doing 2 binders and will need some way to store the other 2 colors.

Quote:
I haven't been a binder guy for quite some time, but I haven't run into a game like this for some time either - my "best guess" would be a card storage box with tabs to separate card types.
There are some older discussions on Board Game Geeks. A lot of board games have mini sized cards.

Ultimate Guard now makes Deck Boxes for mini sized cards. They are just like their standard sized deck boxes and similar to the Ultra Pro ones.

Zen Bins have a deck tray that doubles as a dealing shoe. I used their Star Wars Destiny trays and they are a solid product.

Broken Token (and several other smart folks on Etsy) make some fine wooden boxes with adjustable dividers. Just double check that you are getting one that holds Mini European cards. Also be aware that some of these hold the cards in portrait mode and some hold them in landscape mode. Often the same folks can cut you some fine wooden or acrylic tokens too.

A company I haven't dealt with before called XeLaser out of the UK are advertising a nice 5 lane wooden box for Mini European cards. You have to order the dividers separately, but you can get custom art on the lid and custom print on the dividers.

BTW make the white cardboard boxes that many people use for storing MTG or sports cards. The range from 100ct boxes to the big "shoe box" style with multiple lanes. But I haven't seen any of their's that hold mini sized cards.

Also, there are several websites that offer instructions on making "tuck boxes" (similar to the boxes standard poker cards come in). Some of these sites have online design software that allows you to customize the size and sometimes even the art and then export a PDF that you can cut out and fold to make your boxes.

One thing that I would like to point out is that if you bought all the expansions there are close to 400 cards per player. And it will probably be best to have separate storage boxes for each player to speed car building. If the Core box is nearly 12x12, careful selection might let you get 4 portrait mode storage boxes in.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:50 AM   #15
kjamma4

For the crafty, foam core board is pretty easy to work with and can be cut to exact card size.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:28 PM   #16
JimTullis

Concerning Card count...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4
I think the total card count just went up a bit.
Not by much. And mostly in hazards.
From the PDFS I get...

PER COLOR
331 build cards
1 sequence card
4 status cards

COLORLESS
12 damage cards
6 checkpoint cards
4 scenario cards
82 hazards
Old 10-10-2021, 11:35 AM   #17
kunger00

Quote:
Here is a link to an OPEN OFFICE file that will let you see how I've laid out my Binder Pages.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wk30ut9oml...%20IP.odt?dl=0

Again...
The version I am linking to has been formatted to show how I layed out my Binder.
I retyped the text from the Uncle Albert's 2035 Catalog for my binder, but have obscured it here to avoid infringing on Steve Jackson's rights.
PLEASE DO NOT REPOST my link elsewhere. Please do feel free to use it as a starting place for your own binder designs.
Would love to see photos of the finished product (zoomed out enough so that the verbiage you are concerned about isn't clear)... I doubt I will go the route of a binder for the TON of cards we now have... But would still love to see your creativity manifest.

I am probably going to go the route of boring white CCG boxes even though they will be oversized.
kunger00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 01:14 PM   #18
JimTullis

I can't host photos here. Are you on the discord server?
Old 10-13-2021, 11:12 AM   #19
Ogrekin

Quote:
I can't host photos here. Are you on the discord server?
Can I get a link?
Ogrekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:59 AM   #20
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoon View Post

Here's what I've done so far. Still need to work on the remainder of the components.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread...-home-remainde