Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-22-2019, 05:53 PM   #41
Anthony

Default Re: [Space] Autopilots and Autoturrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
That's one way to look at it.

The other is that its DX represents its motive system programming and thus how well it interacts with any shell you 'drop' it into.
The standard way to implement being able to be dropped into arbitrary shells is Possession (Digital), which uses the host's DX (if you have digital minds that are permanently tied to specific computer hardware, that's still possession, it just uses Parasitic instead of Digital).
Old 02-22-2019, 08:36 PM   #42
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The standard way to implement being able to be dropped into arbitrary shells is Possession (Digital), which uses the host's DX (if you have digital minds that are permanently tied to specific computer hardware, that's still possession, it just uses Parasitic instead of Digital).
That's certainly one way, but as in my experience that leads to low DX AI and possessing Characters, it's the way in which I have stopped doing things.

My way sets the host's DX as a maximum. So download into a poorly designed (low DX) shell, and suffer for it, but taking possession of high performance (high DX) shell won't raise your actual DX, just your ceiling.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:19 PM   #43
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
\My way sets the host's DX as a maximum. So download into a poorly designed (low DX) shell, and suffer for it, but taking possession of high performance (high DX) shell won't raise your actual DX, just your ceiling.
The fair, though annoying, way to handle possession is to treat it like shapeshifting -- it replaces all your physical abilities up to some cap.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:04 AM   #44
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Split mental/physical DX. The body DX modifier is physical, the rest mental. Done.