Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 06-02-2011, 05:35 PM   #101
tHEhERETIC

Default Re: In Nomine: the Pacific War (OOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAlillama View Post
That was more or less a stream of consciousness, to be honest. is Dreaming a supernatural ability? I was leaning towards the Focus, Summoning and Banishment(from CPG, and as written, unless any house rules vary). I am only somewhat familiar with the Thelemite tradition personally, from research into it a number of years ago, and associations with several practitioners. I am not myself a follower of that tradition and never have been, so I beg pardon for any misrepresentation, I assure you it is unintentional. If you would prefer, I could change his tradition, but The character as he is currently forming is definitely a selfish individual, but as you said, not an intrinsically evil person.
In backwards order:
I'm a Thelemite but I'm not remotely dogmatic about it. I'm a huge Christopher Hitchens fan. I call Crowley "the Old Bat" to the consternation of other Thelemites...which IMHO is the proper attitude. Long pseudo-theological argument there, but to those not in the know, it's a bit like calling the prophet Mohammed "Gabe's dude". So get poetic with it--this is a game.

Will look at Summoning and Banishment again, and see if it isn't overpowered to combine them under Command:Go There. Not promising it.

Focus...also will have to read when I get home.

No idea on Dreaming--folks?
Old 06-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #102
ladyarcana55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
No idea on Dreaming--folks?
I thought Dreaming is also a skill. You know how they try to teach lucid dreaming and controlling your dreams?

But Dreaming is also a Song, isn't it?
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #103
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarcana55 View Post
I thought Dreaming is also a skill. You know how they try to teach lucid dreaming and controlling your dreams?

Yes to both, and I know the Dreaming skill gets a lot of clarification in the Ethereal Players Guide.

The Songs, meanwhile, are in both Core and L. Canticorum as the Corp/Eth/Cel Songs of Dreams.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #104
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarcana55 View Post

the Songs of Dreaming are somewhat different. the Dreaming skill allows dreaming humans to shape their own dreamscapses ("Lucid dreaming"), and to leave their own dreamscapes and go wandering in the Marches while asleep.
Command is actually separate skill, including Suggest, awe demonling, Command Ethereal, etc. That one's not on my list. Focus is anti demon/ethereal wards manipulations of Essence, Summon is summoning ethereals and potentially demons, and Banish allows a contest of wills to drive off anything that you know a ritual to summon. IIRC from the MHC page, if the thee skills are at /2, that would be summoning/banishing minor ethereals/ demonlings and building minor wards. Focus also includes "Sacrifice for Essence" but that's a very gray one. I've emailed you a sample character sheet built with standard oints, and I can't actually afford all that, so that would be the absolute high end of potential powers. Let me know what you think.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #105
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAlillama View Post
the Songs of Dreaming are somewhat different. the Dreaming skill allows dreaming humans to shape their own dreamscapses ("Lucid dreaming"), and to leave their own dreamscapes and go wandering in the Marches while asleep.
Command is actually separate skill, including Suggest, awe demonling, Command Ethereal, etc. That one's not on my list. Focus is anti demon/ethereal wards manipulations of Essence, Summon is summoning ethereals and potentially demons, and Banish allows a contest of wills to drive off anything that you know a ritual to summon. IIRC from the MHC page, if the thee skills are at /2, that would be summoning/banishing minor ethereals/ demonlings and building minor wards. Focus also includes "Sacrifice for Essence" but that's a very gray one. I've emailed you a sample character sheet built with standard oints, and I can't actually afford all that, so that would be the absolute high end of potential powers. Let me know what you think.
Got it--much more along the lines of what I was looking for. In fact, seeing as Focus, Summon, and Banishment all take both Skill points and powers points, I'm going to look at the books when I get home and see if I can't wrest a few extra talents out of that. 'cos IIRC I was fairly vague on the MHC page. Can reread that from here thankfully.

(I'm at work, it's 9:43 in the morning here.)

Open Office odt format is great--it's actually the best for me. Microsoft products here all come in -gasp!- Korean, which I can barely read. Open Office comes in any language I want it to!

And oops Ryuki has four basic powers: I forgot exorcism. Which is a fairly major omission.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:19 AM   #106
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Mitch scowls out the window and drops a note to the local tether about the uptick in demon activity. He spends the night at the pawnshop after making sure his assistant gets home safe. The next morning he calls Ryuki's cell phone to gives his appologies.
FYI the only three surviving angelic tethers in L.A. are

Eli's soul food restaurant, Watts, Creation. The demons don't appear to have caught onto this one yet.
Manny's Pizza, Pasadena, Trade. Pasadena is a half-hour's drive from downtown L.A., so it's not all that handy.
the ice-cream truck, various L.A., tandem Children and Trade. If this is the one Mitch hits up, it will have news from the rest of town. hint hint

I think my greatest annoyance at setting this story in 2008 is that the Kogi truck hadn't been invented yet.

------------------nonbump------------------
p.s. really crappy day at work today, after I wrote this. Puck, give me a couple hours to regroup and Mitchim will get an update from the ice cream truck, as well as an answer to that phone call.
DAlillama haven't forgotten that either. Go ahead and post/intro, as long as you don't have any more questions about Glen's background. The sorcery right now is details. Well, at least until you run into the Malakite.

Last edited by tHEhERETIC; 06-03-2011 at 03:08 AM.
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #107
tHEhERETIC

Fixed up purty the transcript of the chat session.

Removed real full names. A friend of mine sent me a note this morning--she's applying for a job that wouldn't appreciate roleplaying as a hobby, and needs me to edit some pages with her in them. It reminded me to pull surnames out of this.

Removed most OOC chatter, though there was the one section that was way too funny, and I left it in.

Fixed some minor typos.

Combined some lines that were choppy. I avoided changing wording, though I occasionally made compound sentences with my delete button.

Added an internal hyperlink and shifted around a couple lines, to get the threads to mesh more smoothly.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/tHEhERETIC/CareerDay.html

Goes between posts 28 and 29, with a pitstop in 32, in the IC thread.

Have a long way to go on the Angelfire pages I'm afraid, but I have to work on my own college stuff first.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:02 AM   #108
alexondria

Just wanted to check and see if Ryuki's father was going to say anything else to Zahira or if I'm free to move on to talking to Mitch?
alexondria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:07 AM   #109
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexondria View Post
Just wanted to check and see if Ryuki's father was going to say anything else to Zahira or if I'm free to move on to talking to Mitch?
Sorry--should have been more explicit--yes. Polite goodbyes, nothing more.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #110
tHEhERETIC

http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/tHEhERETIC/characters.html

Put Eli up on the Archangels page (which is renamed the Superiors page, since I'm likely to put the DP's there. Less hassle on the navbar that way). Now characters include Ryuki, Gerald Kingman, and Eli.

More to follow of course..speaking of course, seems to me I have more TESOL to do...damned RL.

Tags
in nomine