Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 08-31-2016, 12:51 PM   #21
JackShadow

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Discussion Thread

So here is a question from a GM that will definitely get it but players that likely won't.

Will the update books contained in the DF box be available separately as PDFs? I know this is a print game update of the older PDFs, but it would be nice to have the updated parts used by players most available in digital format as well.

Thanks,
JackShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:56 PM   #22
robertsconley

For those who read my posts on the subject starting back in 2008. It is about damn time :-). I will definitely pick up this kickstarter.

I will remain cautiously optimistic and see what they plan to include in the way of stuff. (spell list, monster list, etc). My hope is that they cover the basics and then layer the more off-beat original stuff along with it.

If winds up being a fleshed out version of what we seen so far then I will definitely be happy with the product.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:59 PM   #23
robertsconley

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
I've got mixed feelings. Where was this three or four years ago when D&D 4e was floundering? Why fantasy now? It seems to me that superheroes or zombies would be more popular and help it to stand out on the shelves.
Fantasy from what I seen is still the major seller. As for why now, because RPGs have been rising from where the market was a couple of years back according the IVc2. It not happy days are here again yet but the RPG Industry is not staring into the pit of abyss either.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:03 PM   #24
Proteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klark View Post
OSR seems to be taking off with both new and established players, which meshes well with DF's classic hack n' slash vibe.
True to a point, but isn't part of the OSR's goal a "rules-light" style of play where the books spell out little and the referee's discretion is large? Now, for sure, GURPS lends itself well to "roll and shout" play once you know the system... but that's not the usual first impression.

I'm sure SJGames has done their market research. So I'm wondering who the specific target audience(s) is/are for this boxed set. D&D/Pathfinder players looking for more customization and "crunch"? Detail-minded gamers in general who somehow don't know GURPS exists? Previous GURPS players who have fallen away from the fold? New gamers picking up their first RPG? Some combination of the above?

It would be interesting to see the back of the box mock-up, in order to read the ad copy and get a sense of what browsers in the store will see.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:29 PM   #25
Harald387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
There's a reason this took him several months... ;-)
I am honestly more excited for this than for anything else. I already have Dungeon Fantasy and all its supplements and the know-how to kitbash working games from them. What I'll be backing this (to the hilt!) for is a chance to get the fruits of Kromm's brainmeats on a proper 4e rework of GURPS: Magic.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:29 PM   #26
robertsconley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
True to a point, but isn't part of the OSR's goal a "rules-light" style of play where the books spell out little and the referee's discretion is large?
It only true about PART of the OSR. The only constant is that is centered on classic D&D editions. From there it goes in all sorts of direction and with other games roped in depending on the interest of the publisher. For example Blood & Treasure and Castles and Crusade are two OSR games that are compatible with AD&D 1st but incorporate a lot of 3.X and newer mechanics into their systems.

ACKS core is similar to the old B/X edition of D&D but on top of that bolts on economic/domain mechanics comparable to what Traveller and GURPS Low Tech has released.

Quote:
Now, for sure, GURPS lends itself well to "roll and shout" play once you know the system... but that's not the usual first impression.
Depending on how it written this wind up teaching people how to do "roll and shout" from the get go. I know that this is an issue with the 3rd and 4th edition core books. But it not an issue when I run a campaign with novices because what I teach and the handout I use makes GURPS understandable.

My point of contention over the years that the problem with GURPS is not one of design but of presentation. Now I guess I will see if I was right or will I have to eat crow.

Quote:
I'm sure SJGames has done their market research. So I'm wondering who the specific target audience(s) is/are for this boxed set. D&D/Pathfinder players looking for more customization and "crunch"? Detail-minded gamers in general who somehow don't know GURPS exists? Previous GURPS players who have fallen away from the fold? New gamers picking up their first RPG? Some combination of the above?
Well GURPS strength used to be customization along with a gritty realism due to the design of the rules and how the relate to real life action. The customization part is pretty much a wash these days. GURPS may be better and more flexible but there are plenty of "good enough" system out there that do the job just as well.

But from publishing and running OSR/3.X/Pathfinder/5e material myself. The simple fact that the hit points systems they use doesn't give those games the same feel as GURPS has. I recently played some campaigns of Fantasy AGE which uses 3d6 and has a lots of ways of customizing characters. But it also has D&D style hit points so the result is more like D&D than GURPS.

My concern isn't that they are doing a powered by GURPS RPG, my concern is that it is a boxed set. While I love the idea, it has to make it more pricey than even a hardback book. I had to guess, I would say there is support for a DF RPG Book, but I am not so sure about a boxed set. The OSR is littered with attempts at doing boxed sets that didn't do well.

Of course they could always combine the interior books and sell that at a later point.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:33 PM   #27
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Yippe ki yay!
I so do not want that blemish to color this project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald387 View Post
I am honestly more excited for this than for anything else. I already have Dungeon Fantasy and all its supplements and the know-how to kitbash working games from them. What I'll be backing this (to the hilt!) for is a chance to get the fruits of Kromm's brainmeats on a proper 4e rework of GURPS: Magic.
Before I get myself or Kromm in trouble, I should point out my comment was tongue-in-cheek. I don't know for a fact how much revision Kromm did to GURPS Magic, and I should not have implied what I did. (Maybe he rewrote it stem to stern; I really don't know.) I apologize for any confusion I caused . . . both today and back in my too-hasty editing pass in 2004. ;-)

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:57 PM   #28
Christopher R. Rice

I've decided to run as many Dungeon Fantasy posts on my blog as I can. Since I'm rather busy myself I thought I'd get some folks who enjoy GURPS, but lack a blog to help promote GURPS during this time. After all, we want this to fund and maybe do better than both Car Wars and Ogre! If you're interested drop me a PM or quote this and I'll contact you.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:03 PM   #29
Anders

We've done all our market research
And our findings show
That this DF game could be around
A month or so
Maybe it's a bit confusing
For a game
But Rubik's Cubes were much the same
In the end the whole world bought one
All were gone
By which time we merchandisers
Had moved on
Old 08-31-2016, 02:13 PM   #30
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Before I get myself or Kromm in trouble, I should point out my comment was tongue-in-cheek. I don't know for a fact how much revision Kromm did to GURPS Magic, and I should not have implied what I did. (Maybe he rewrote it stem to stern; I really don't know.) I apologize for any confusion I caused . . . both today and back in my too-hasty editing pass in 2004. ;-)
sigh.
However I have faith in Kromm.
There is no way this was a quick compilation and edit, I feel he had to put a lot of thought into commentry and feedback and how he could make it better then the original.
5 books, one being Adventurers so I am betting Magic is another book by itself.
I don't expect it to replace GURPS Magic in its entirety (no Gate college for example) but I fully expect there to be changes. If there are and this is advertised I expect that alone to be cause for increased sales.

In fact lets see what books we can guess at?
Adventures is a definite.
Gamemastering
Magic
Combat
Monsters

Those are my guesses.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy