Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-16-2015, 12:57 PM   #1011
weby

Default Re: Ravens N' Pennies - GURPS Content Posts

A hint to anyone trying to read the blog:
Firefox add-on "Read easily" makes it actually readable by turning off the style sheet as the default style makes reading really difficult being so cluttered with different white elements black background.

The contents is nice, but before I found that extension I always had to copy-paste it somewhere else to remove formatting before reading.
weby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:00 PM   #1012
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
A hint to anyone trying to read the blog:
Firefox add-on "Read easily" makes it actually readable by turning off the style sheet as the default style makes reading really difficult being so cluttered with different white elements black background.

The contents is nice, but before I found that extension I always had to copy-paste it somewhere else to remove formatting before reading.
Hmmm. I've been tinkering with the background continuously, to try and make it more easily read. But the stark black/white is kind of a trademark at this point. Suggestions?

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:03 PM   #1013
Kalzazz

I roll 1d100 for each monster, they get the result worth of moneys, plus often more money or goodies for each of the numbers which seem 'interesting'
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:05 PM   #1014
Kalzazz

I have no issue reading it, so whatever you do, please don't emulate Doug's and make it where I can't read on my phone

Edit - I don't see any backgrounds, I just see white text on black
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:29 PM   #1015
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Hmmm. I've been tinkering with the background continuously, to try and make it more easily read. But the stark black/white is kind of a trademark at this point. Suggestions?
For it is basically part the white on black(it just tend to be harder for me to read) then you add the different other white elements it gets very hard to focus on the element I am looking for.

As example, looking at a random location on a random page.

http://seikkailu.roto.nu/misc/ravenspennies3.jpg

Trying to find the link I am confronted with all the following visual elements:

http://seikkailu.roto.nu/misc/ravenspennies.jpg

On that picture I have tried to circle every white/light grey element as separate thing. (basically something your brain has to process to find what you are looing for)

So if you compare the ease of finding the link "GURPS101: Air Spells for Sorcery" in the first one with the "no style sheet" view of the same place

http://seikkailu.roto.nu/misc/ravenspennies2.jpg

I do not know if that is clear enough description, but the fact of that many elements that look so similar visually is at least for me that I cannot follow the flow of text with comfort.

Does that explanation make sense?
Old 06-16-2015, 02:43 PM   #1016
Christopher R. Rice

Aye, that makes sense. But the ravens are kind of a motif. I can't really chuck them. I'll see if there is a way to keep the border a fixed length. Sorry this causes you trouble (you're the first), if I get a lot of complaints I might change it, but I'm going to keep it the same (for now).

Become a Patron!
Old 06-16-2015, 02:52 PM   #1017
weby

Quote:
Aye, that makes sense. But the ravens are kind of a motif. I can't really chuck them. I'll see if there is a way to keep the border a fixed length. Sorry this causes you trouble (you're the first), if I get a lot of complaints I might change it, but I'm going to keep it the same (for now).
Oh no need to change on my behalf.. I have the read easy extension installed.. :) (ctlr-alt-z and it becomes readable)

But just wanted to post my solution in case someone else is struggling with the same issues.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:57 PM   #1018
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
Oh no need to change on my behalf.. I have the read easy extension installed.. :) (ctlr-alt-z and it becomes readable)

But just wanted to post my solution in case someone else is struggling with the same issues.
I appreciate that. I need to point out the metatags to folks too so others can use them. I had a reader email me while I was ill talking about how awesome the new tags feature was I included recently (it's been there since day one). :-)

Become a Patron!
Old 06-16-2015, 04:24 PM   #1019
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Hmmm. I've been tinkering with the background continuously, to try and make it more easily read.
I invariably select all the text, so it becomes blue on white. That makes it much easier to read, and comes under "minor nuisances."

The other thing blogs often do is use a sans-serif font, which is harder to work around.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:52 PM   #1020
Christopher R. Rice

Designer's Notes: The Gryndel Menace

June's Pyramid is out and guess who got the cover? That's right, me! It's always nice to get the cover, but not required. So have some Designer's Notes to go along with today's release including a new inhuman option for those who have today's issue and GURPS Monster Hunters (especially MH5).

Become a Patron!

Tags
blogs