Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #1
jaz0nj4ckal

Default Streamline autofire rules for 3rd edition

Folks:
It has been sometime since I posted; however, I started a new game group and we are having a blast. Yet, the current 3rd edition autofire rules and mechanics do not work for my style of game play. The rules take away from my focus of roleplaying first, and dice mechanics second. Due to the latter, I need a little help for ideas for dice mechanics that relate to and govern autofire.

I remember playing Classic Traveller and Mechwarrior as a kid where autofire just added another “to hit” dice roll and provided an area effect; however, I am not sure if that could translate well to GURPS.

All suggestions and creative criticism is welcomed, since I am looking for idea and hoping for a chance to brainstorm with everyone.

Thank you,
JJ
jaz0nj4ckal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
RyanW

Default Re: Streamline autofire rules for 3rd edition

Autofire is one of the things that 4e changed drastically. It changes the outcome, which bothers some people (high miss rate of extreme RoF and the way RoF interacts with the long turns in Spaceships being the two most frequent complaints), but it reduces every attack to just one roll per target.

It also introduces the option of surpression fire, which is your Area Effect attack.

It shouldn't be too hard to adapt it, even if you don't want to switch to 4e otherwise.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
Phaelen Bleux
World Traveler in Training

Can you be more specific? What don't you like--the burst rules, the walking the burst rules, suppressive fire, etc. etc.

http://aerodrome.hamish.tripod.com
Phaelen Bleux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #4
jaz0nj4ckal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelen Bleux View Post
Can you be more specific? What don't you like--the burst rules, the walking the burst rules, suppressive fire, etc. etc.
Hi Phaelen Bluex,
Absolutely… The issue we have is the number of rolls burst fire requires. It slows our game play down, and takes away from roleplaying. In reality it might not do the latter; however, we feel it does not fit our style, so I am looking for creative ideas, since I am tapped out.

Some of the ideas I was throwing around, is to just limit fire to 3~ but enable the full damage dice. This would not change the armor ratings; however, if I change the damage dice of weapons – I feel armor would have to be reduced to compensate for the reduced damage potential of weapons.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
jaz0nj4ckal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Autofire is one of the things that 4e changed drastically. It changes the outcome, which bothers some people (high miss rate of extreme RoF and the way RoF interacts with the long turns in Spaceships being the two most frequent complaints), but it reduces every attack to just one roll per target.

It also introduces the option of surpression fire, which is your Area Effect attack.

It shouldn't be too hard to adapt it, even if you don't want to switch to 4e otherwise.
Hi RyanW:
thank you for the suggestions...I will check out version 4. I currently do not have any resources for 4th edition, but will check it out.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
ClayDowling

Allow me to recommend this excellent series: http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/action/

Even if you don't play 4e, these books give excellent advice on how to play the action genre and streamline it.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
jaz0nj4ckal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayDowling View Post
Allow me to recommend this excellent series: http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/action/

Even if you don't play 4e, these books give excellent advice on how to play the action genre and streamline it.
Hi Clay Dowling:
Thank you for the suggestion, and I will be sure to check it out. On another note - I was looking at Car Wars to streamLine something; however, that does not provide enough flexibilty...

Thank you.
JJ
Old 12-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
Phaelen Bleux
World Traveler in Training

Well, my off the cuff streamline would be to simply have the number of bullets that hit be the margin of success +1: make it exactly = 1 bullet, make it by 5 = 6 bullets. Obviously up to the max RoF. Offer only one Dodge. Streamlined, but very deadly.

http://aerodrome.hamish.tripod.com
Phaelen Bleux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
gilbertocarlos

Want it fast? Use 4th rules, even if you use only for that.

That way, even a gatling that fires with 100 rounds only needs one roll.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #10
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaz0nj4ckal View Post
I remember playing Classic Traveller and Mechwarrior as a kid where autofire just added another “to hit” dice roll and provided an area effect; however, I am not sure if that could translate well to GURPS.

All suggestions and creative criticism is welcomed, since I am looking for idea and hoping for a chance to brainstorm with
Actually that is exactly how GURPS 4e does things. You get a bonusto hit based on FoR (more or less +1 per 5) then the rcl stat is changed (*-1 +1) so -1 becomes 2.
Then for each multiplier of that rcl you hit with, you make another hit.

This is extremely easy to introduce and use in 3e, but will of course result in different number of hits than the current 3e system. Potentially more hits due to the higher acc of guns in 3e. You have to run some examples to see if you can accept those numbers.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3rd edition, autofire, house rules