Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-03-2017, 03:19 AM   #1
jacobmuller

Default [Spaceships] simply fuel math...

RAW Super Fusion Torch, 50G 450mps but, if you allow use of an SM-4 section to get only 0.5G, how far will that tank of fuel take you - 45,000mps?

This is either one of those math things so simple you can't believe your own answer or it's Costello's rent arrears and I'm the landlord:/
I mean, I can't believe my own answer so, I need someone else to either say "Yup, it's really that simple." or swat me upside the head and show me the actual math that proves it's really all rocket science.

TQ in antici...
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:23 AM   #2
malloyd

Default Re: [Spaceships] simply fuel math...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
RAW Super Fusion Torch, 50G 450mps but, if you allow use of an SM-4 section to get only 0.5G, how far will that tank of fuel take you - 45,000mps?

This is either one of those math things so simple you can't believe your own answer or it's Costello's rent arrears and I'm the landlord:/
It's simple the other way around. It gets you 450 mps. No matter what size the engine is, the final velocity depends on the size of the fuel tank relative to the entire ship, not relative to the engine. A smaller engine just takes longer to get there - 40 hours instead of 24 minutes to burn your tank dry.

Last edited by malloyd; 10-03-2017 at 03:27 AM.
malloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:31 AM   #3
RogerBW

Looked at from a different angle, adding more engines doesn't get you any less delta-V from the single fuel tank, so removing fractions of an engine shouldn't get you any more.
RogerBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:00 AM   #4
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Delta-V - the change in velocity - is a measure of engine efficiency and does not change with engine size (at least, not on the scale of engines mounted on spaceships). A larger engine uses fuel just as efficiently as a smaller engine does.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:35 AM   #5
jacobmuller

Thank you, all.
Brain off day. I think part of my scribbled notes were what if you "super" the rocket and scale from there and then I've wandered off into Lalaland:D
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:47 PM   #6
hal

Ok, piggy backing on this thread...

Suppose you decide to design a spaceship with the following in mind:

You have a SM 9 ship. A single "reaction Engine" for this ship will produce 3G acceleration.

However, using the Swapping out rule from page 5 of Transhuman Space ships...

Suppose I decide to use one SM 8 rocket engine to produce 1G extra, allowing for a 4G acceleration?

Further suppose that I use the other two modules for Fuel. Those two fuel will be 2/3rds of a fuel tank for a SM 9 ship.

So what happens to the Delta-V increase (page 17 of the First GURPS SPACEBOOKS rules)?

It states that if you have 6 to 8 tanks, multiply your delta-V by 1.2. If you have 9 to 12, multiply by 1.4

Now, if we have 2/3rds of a tank, we have 2/3rds of the delta-V that a normal SM9 tank would have. No question there.

But what happens to the Delta-V multiplier when you're at the "threshold" level between the multiplier values? In other words...

if you have 5 and 2/3rds of a tank, does this get the full 1.2 modifier? If you have 8 and 2/3rds of a tank, do you get the full 1.4 multiplier?

How would you resolve that issue?
hal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spaceships