Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-29-2020, 01:15 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Using Mitigator [Basic]

In recent threads, it has come to my attention that Mitigator is not a popular limitation, and I am surprised by that because it seems like such an intuitive and straightforward limitation. I have long used Mitigator as a way of constructing custom disadvantages and anti-attributes/anti-advantages, and I usually do not need to add much else. What about you? Do you use Mitigator much?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 01:23 PM   #2
Anders

Default Re: Using Mitigator [Basic]

I've used it in an Ultra-Tech setting as a blanket limitation on a number of mental disadvantages.
Old 12-29-2020, 01:35 PM   #3
Plane

I think it just needs more crunch consolidation, as I'm sure there are examples of mitigators being written up outside of B118's guidelines.

I see PU8's use of counter advantages as just an easy way to use the more-plentiful-advantage-intended-modifiers database for constructing the underpopulated mitigators database.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 01:44 PM   #4
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I've used it in an Ultra-Tech setting as a blanket limitation on a number of mental disadvantages.
That's where I use it the most. In something like THS, I figure most Mental Disadvantages that aren't gene-fixed can be drugged away, and that you don't normally see people acting crazy unless they are for whatever reason "off their meds." Even in our own TL 8 reality it's already common for severe maladies such as Chronic Depression, Manic-Depressive, Paranoia, etc in first world cultures that don't have a strong social stigma or Social Stigma attached to it.

Even in such a society some people refuse to take them of course, such as my Bipolar ex who insists that her meds, "Kill her creativity." Sure, she flip-flops between self-destructive risk-taking behavior and crying in the shower for eight hours at a stretch, but she's a published author, so I guess it's worth it to her (but being around it wasn't worth it to me).

Last edited by Gold & Appel Inc; 12-29-2020 at 01:53 PM.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:55 PM   #5
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I think it just needs more crunch consolidation, as I'm sure there are examples of mitigators being written up outside of B118's guidelines.

I see PU8's use of counter advantages as just an easy way to use the more-plentiful-advantage-intended-modifiers database for constructing the underpopulated mitigators database.
I have long used Mitigators for anti-attributes and anti-advantages myself, as they make a lot of intuitive sense.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:45 PM   #6
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I have long used Mitigators for anti-attributes and anti-advantages myself, as they make a lot of intuitive sense.
Listing it that way is definitely more efficient, applying modifiers just to advantages is just an 'UNDER under the hood' thing you to for determining fair pricing suggested by PU8.

To use pg 6's example, if you'd prefer to list your character like Bob (an IQ penalty at night) instead of Ada (an IQ bonus in day) you could: it just shouldn't be a -20% mitigator, but instead converted into a -80% one, and mitigators should not be capped at -80%: you should be able to have -90% (-10% to counter) or even -100% (-0% to counters) mitigators.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote