Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 01-11-2021, 09:13 AM   #31
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: More Perilous Journeys: Now LIVE on Kickstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohippip View Post
I would snap up a TFT version of Nordlond in a heartbeat.
Noted. This would certainly be interesting, not the least of which because it allows a much more full exploration of the lower tiers of play. Also having the Aesir NOT walking the earth as gods, etc.

The cosmology would have to change, making it definitely NOT the same Nordlond as Dragon Heresy or Dungeon Fantasy RPG...but that's not a bad thing of a necessity.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:23 AM   #32
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Good question. A trivial part of my answer is to urge you to continue your plans to publish the small compilations of NPCs, which I think will be super helpful and see a lot of use at the table.
I can say this is my top priority. I'm exploring how I want to pursue this. I've got two more volumes in production right now, and at least three more ideas. Maybe more. I had a thought to how I'd crowdfund this yesterday that I'm noodling with.

Quote:
The more important question is whether to do another round of adventures or produce something else that complements the adventures. This is hard to answer because the adventures are really good, so who wouldn't want more? On the other hand, by the middle of this spring we'll have 24 really good published adventures (10 from you; 10 from the SJGames books of adventures; Tolenkar's lair; Red Crypt; DT I and II). That doesn't quite add up to what I see when I examine my compendium of classic TSR modules, but it is of the same order of magnitude. When we turn to 'meso-scale' settings, there isn't very much. We now have Ardonirane, which is superb and includes a city and its surroundings. We have the small setting found in Book of Unlife, which is also superb. And we have a couple pages in the core book. So, I think things along the lines of small sandboxes, cities and other similar regional adventure settings might be a more exciting next contribution. I just encourage you (and everyone else) to not get lost in the sauce' of a big scale setting and put out a tome of narrative text about histories and blah, blah, blah. What I love in a setting book is material I will directly use at the table. Ardonirane is great in this respect. The Goodman Games treatment of Lankhmar is another excellent recent example.
If you have my Citadel at Nordvorn, that's the kind of setting book I like to present.

Some of the areas in the Sevantes series would be a lot of fun as their own mini-setting books.

These books take a lot of energy and creativity to get right - that's not a bad thing, but it requires the author(s) be very thorough with presenting details that are at-the-table relevant without indulging in too much "oh, let me tell you my world history" that is probably fun for the writer, but best left on the cutting-room floor until it's time to make it plot relevant...usually in the form of "the past comes back to haunt you" as the plot of a small adventure scenario.

They are my favorite type of book, though. They tend to leave a lot more hooks for the GM, and present situations rather than solutions for the party, which allows all sorts of room for shenanigans.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:26 AM   #33
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPlenty View Post
In the new updates to errata, were the changes all over, or just a few pages? I would rather replaces pages rather than the whole thing if possible.
There tend to be changes all over, but I'll admit puzzlement over why not just replace one file with another? (Honest curiosity there)

Some files have more changes than others, of course. I think the biggest changes to the previously-released books were on the title pages (and there are still mistakes there in the copyright dates I need to look at, apparently). DLD and DH I think had a few dead hyperlinks that I fixed, and such. There wasn't much in the prior books...but there was some.

Quote:
nice work by the way!
Thanks. These were long in coming (longer than I'd like, anyway) but I think they turned out well.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:30 AM   #34
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by letatcestmoi View Post
Since my return to the GM chair, we've been through
  • Tollenkar's Lair (abandoned by PCs around level 3)
  • The Citadel of Ice
  • The Crown of Destiny
  • The Curse of the Pirate King (loved running that one, although the maps need help)
  • The 155th Olan-Pok Games (the players wanted an excuse to earn experience points to beef up their new PCs)
  • The Chaos Triads (SJG)
  • They then met an NPC who connected them with the Mistress of Ironskull Castle, but it was a springboard to...
  • The Curse of Katiki Mu

The one thing on that list I've made myself is the Olan-Pok Games (which makes me think I should write it up for submissions somewhere) and the content being developed has been a godsend.

I'm going to be sending them on to the next Jok Sevantes set once the Sunken Library is ready for prime time so I can plan everything out.

So what would I like to see next?

With Adorinane out, I wouldn't mind seeing some adventures there. I would also love to see a sourcebook with adventure hooks for the Olan-Pok etc. area that's been hinted at in the Jok Sevantes modules.

I've also bought the Rainy City which would be an amazing place to send my group to - adventures set in and around there (publisher is Superhero Necromancer).
1. Can you elaborate on the maps? It would help my notes to authors and cartographers.

2. As noted in a prior post, I think several of the locations presented in the Sevantes series could get their own books. Olan-Pok and Val-Zea are nice because as city-states, they can be plunked down nearly anywhere.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:32 PM   #35
letatcestmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
1. Can you elaborate on the maps? It would help my notes to authors and cartographers.
The map of the island has no scale, so it was really tricky for me to figure out how large it was. A mile across? 10? 100? Ok, it's not 100, but I finally took a ruler to measure the ships in the harbour of the village inset map and interpolated from there, but that was frustrating for me. It also meant I had to guess on height of the contour lines for the trails.

Irksome though not fatal was that the key locations such as the pirate king lair had no maps at all - I made up my own, which is fine, but was work as the descriptions were vague.

It was a really fun adventure though.
letatcestmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:47 PM   #36
JimmyPlenty

[QUOTE=DouglasCole;2362423]There tend to be changes all over, but I'll admit puzzlement over why not just replace one file with another? (Honest curiosity there)

It has more to do with printing it out. I use a high-end printer to print and it saves on toner to only print a few pages.
JimmyPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:47 PM   #37
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPlenty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
There tend to be changes all over, but I'll admit puzzlement over why not just replace one file with another? (Honest curiosity there)

It has more to do with printing it out. I use a high-end printer to print and it saves on toner to only print a few pages.
Acrobat DC has a file comparison tool.

Dragon Hunt:
  • Cover page (added better format to TM)
  • Page 1: SJGames Logo changed
  • Page 32: Page reference corrected
  • Back Cover: removed obnoxious bolding and some punctuation. Changed SJGames Logo

Dark Lord's Doom:
  • Cover Front: added TM to title
  • Page 1: added dots to table of contents; changed logos
  • Page 4: Weapon Expertise (Shield)--> Shield Expertise
  • Page 13: Thog club change to 1d+5! Grar.
  • Back Cover: Logos changed

Character Collection 1: Experienced Adventurers
  • Cover Front: Had to recompose cover due to save error
  • p. 1: Logos
  • Cover Back: Logos

There were a few hyperlinks that changed, but those won't show up in the print copy.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:57 AM   #38
larsdangly

Another thought I had in response to your question about re. future products: TFT has a major gap in its lineup of 'canon' materials - there is no flagship big-scale labyrinth, or megadungeon. Tolenkar's Lair might be the closest we get, but I don't think has the scale and diversity one has in mind for these sorts of settings. These sorts of dungeons can serve as focal points in the shared experiences of all the players of a game system, and given the design and strengths of TFT when it comes specifically to labyrinth adventures, I think an amazing product like this could be made. Anyway, if I were to create a commercial TFT product it would be a megadungeon.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:05 AM   #39
DouglasCole

All PDF Files (plus one bonus) for More Perilous Journeys are now complete and distributed.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:11 PM   #40
larsdangly

Love it; thanks for all the work you've put into this major project!
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote