Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-13-2020, 08:55 AM   #21
hcobb

Default Re: initiating HTH is an attack

I use exactly the same rules for rats, slimes, wolves, goblins, gargoyles and giants trying to enter somebody else's hex:

https://www.hcobb.com/tft/house_rules.html#HTH
Old 04-13-2020, 11:31 AM   #22
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
I have to agree, and I hope that when Douglas Cole gets around to his grappling article, he also includes a clear, simplified description of entering HTH. There are several well-reasoned options in this thread for determining how HTH works, but every one of them requires ignoring part of the rules in favor of others and/or reading into the rules something that is not there but that one feels is strongly implied.
On the one hand, I loves me some grappling rules. On the other, new rules are strongly deprecated and my status as a semi-official source for stuff may confuse the issue.

I think the only way I can approach this safely is through a blog post, and right now, I'm a bit involved in getting "More Perilous Journeys" into the queue for a May Kickstarter!
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 11:38 AM   #23
larsdangly

I feel like the most that I would want to see in an official publication, like Hexagram, is a brief (~1 paragraph) statement of clarification, perhaps along the lines of the recent piece on how 'Defend' should work. As it stands, I'm very happy with the way my table ruling works and don't feel like I would get a lot out of the addition of anything complicated that looks like it competes with the ITL core book.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 05:26 PM   #24
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I feel like the most that I would want to see in an official publication, like Hexagram, is a brief (~1 paragraph) statement of clarification, perhaps along the lines of the recent piece on how 'Defend' should work. As it stands, I'm very happy with the way my table ruling works and don't feel like I would get a lot out of the addition of anything complicated that looks like it competes with the ITL core book.
Those of us from a certain vintage may be happy "house ruling" things like this but I think if the game is to genuinely attract a new generation of players then the rules (all the rules) need to be clear and unambiguous from the start - that's surely not asking too much?

Modern players have a bewildering array of games to choose from and that competition means games with unclear rules just don't make it these days.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote