Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 11-28-2020, 03:28 PM   #1
TimTimmy

Default Wizard hopeful, needs questions answered

My friends and I have decided to try TFT for our new campaign. (Interestingly enough we did play the original melee when it first came out.) I’ll be making my first character with the new rules, and I prefer Wizards to all other classes. So here is what I was thinking about: Since you get a spell per IQ only upon generation, you max it out. As such:

Goblin, ST 6, DX 8, IQ 18. (I wish I could lose even more ST and raise that to IQ 20).

So, what does this Wizard do?

The premise/hypothesis: No Wizard can cast every round. Not only is the STR cost prohibitive, the time to recover those STR is also untenable in the usual D&D type dungeon. No party is waiting 2 hours for you to recover 8 STR points.

Assumption: It can’t be melee. Wiz has too few STR to survive the front line. It can’t have armor for fear of losing the tiny DEX, and can’t afford the talent cost. Yes, I am still planning on spending 5 points on Staff to sneak that jab from behind the front line when I can. Can I still stab 2 hexes away with a dagger (Staff 5)?

Ideas: Thrown weapons (2) (4 for wizard) – throw daggers or Sha-Ken.
What about Javelins? With a spear-thrower, get long range. Can you turn your thrower into a Wizard-staff, as a rod?

The goal: Be useful every round. Contribute with something offensive each round, so you are not just dodging. Even if it is 1d-1, at least pretend that the party is not carrying your exp-sucking behind.

The question: What weapon/activity can my Wizard use, to be helpful each round? What can I shoot/throw?

My guess?
Silver dagger in the left hand, (acting as shield for 1 armor?). With right hand, throw Sha-Ken.
You always have your “staff” (dagger) ready, so you can cast any round you are not throwing.
Bonus that the dagger can be used if someone HTH attacks you.

I’d love to hear from the those who have hands-on experience (or anyone, even theory-crafters).
TimTimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:09 PM   #2
Shostak

Default Re: Wizard hopeful, needs questions answered

A great deal will depend on what kind of adventures you expect to do. If it is to be a combat oriented game, the ST 6 DX 8 character is unlikely to survive or be of much use, though you will doubtless get some replies extolling the virtues of min-maxed high-IQ builds. A low-IQ wizard with ST and DX in the 11-13 range can be quite effective in combat, utilizing low-ST spells like Aid, Image, Fire, and Clumsiness to considerable effect. You might find that learning weapon talents eats up too many useful points--6 for Dagger or Sha-ken w/Thrown Weapons!

If your game is going to be more plot-oriented with less combat, the low-ST/high IQ template can be more viable. You could even bulk up on talents and just use spellbooks.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:21 PM   #3
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
A great deal will depend on what kind of adventures you expect to do. If it is to be a combat oriented game, the ST 6 DX 8 character is unlikely to survive or be of much use, though you will doubtless get some replies extolling the virtues of min-maxed high-IQ builds. A low-IQ wizard with ST and DX in the 11-13 range can be quite effective in combat, utilizing low-ST spells like Aid, Image, Fire, and Clumsiness to considerable effect. You might find that learning weapon talents eats up too many useful points--6 for Dagger or Sha-ken w/Thrown Weapons!

If your game is going to be more plot-oriented with less combat, the low-ST/high IQ template can be more viable. You could even bulk up on talents and just use spellbooks.
I'm probably missing something, but just how useful is Aid in combat? Do people use it for DX against hard to hit targets or ST to keep someone on his feet for a couple of turns more?
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:50 PM   #4
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I'm probably missing something, but just how useful is Aid in combat? Do people use it for DX against hard to hit targets or ST to keep someone on his feet for a couple of turns more?
Buff up your archer comrade to get two shots per turn with an high probability of hitting, or the low-DX/high ST soldier high enough to score a hit more than 50% of the time.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:26 PM   #5
TippetsTX

Having a ton of spells, even high IQ spells, won't do you any good if you can't cast them effectively. Balance is better.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:52 PM   #6
TimTimmy

Hoping to get this back on topic.
"just use spellbooks" What is this? Is this something on can do for those non-combat spells, kind of like Rituals in 5e?
Old 11-28-2020, 05:50 PM   #7
Kieddicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTimmy View Post
Hoping to get this back on topic.
"just use spellbooks" What is this? Is this something on can do for those non-combat spells, kind of like Rituals in 5e?
Yes using spell books is similar to ritual casting in concept but plays out a little different.

A wizard can cast any spell so long as it's IQ level is not greater than 14 or the wizard's IQ. This requires a spell book containing the spell and a wizards chest; furthermore it takes 5 minutes to cast and the wizard is at -2 DX.

You can find all the details on page 141 and 142 of ITL.
Kieddicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:02 PM   #8
hcobb

What I have done with a low DX wizard in combat is to take ST 6, DX 9, IQ 17 (no great advantage to IQ 18), then use Staff V strikes at adjDX 12, range two, 1d+2 damage that ignores armor.

As I gain XP it all goes to DX.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:08 PM   #9
TimTimmy

Thanks to both (and all)
Would that range 2 also apply to a "staff" that is a silver dagger?
If you wanted to have something to do at range, but not use up strength, what would you do?
Old 11-28-2020, 06:28 PM   #10
larsdangly

TFT is a good game to learn by experimentation - it will provide you with all the feedback you need to figure out which sorts of characters are successful in which sorts of situations.

The concept you suggest is a perfectly good character for some purposes, but when thrown into a fight at close quarters with other more well balanced combatants, he or she is likely to get nuked. You can get by with a poor ST if you have at least a solid DX (and preferably some reserve of mana if you are a wizard). You can get by with poor DX if you are well protected by armor or magical equivalent and/or have a very high ST. If your ST and DX are both in the basement, you don't have much to fall back on besides praying for lucky rolls.

But, it's a game and there are all sorts of ways to play it; so give your idea a try!
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote