Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-24-2018, 01:18 PM   #11
scc

Default Re: What Trait For Not Sensing Pain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
What effects are you looking to model? Go from there, then maybe we can narrow it in.

And sidenote, 'not feeling pain' if it stops Shock Penalties, will always have HPT... so if you want "cheap cyberware" then you don't want "doesn't feel pain". You want "Feels Things Inconsistently" which for say hands can give "Ham Fisted" without interfering with pain receptors, or even add in "Low Pain Threshold" as it over-stimulates due to damage.
This is a situation where the character lacks a lot pf pain receptors in their arm (or leg) and the combination doesn't quite feel right.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:54 AM   #12
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
This is a situation where the character lacks a lot pf pain receptors in their arm (or leg) and the combination doesn't quite feel right.
Huh. Well... lack of nociceptors (the 'pain receptor' neurons) won't do that. All they'll do is keep you from noticing if you're being cut, crushed, burned, etc. Your sense of touch, proprioception, and kinesthetics aren't going to be affected.

However, if you want to extend the lack of neurons to cover those areas as well, then I'd slap Numb on it and call it a day. Keep in mind, unless it's an organic arm you should be buying it like so, One Arm (Mitigator, -70%) [-6].

So a simple replacement arm that is no better than the original, is -6 points. If it's stronger, has DR, etc, then it begins to increase in price.

Example (ripped from Ultratech):

One Bionic Arm (TL9)
Statistics: Arm ST+2 (One arm; Temporary Disadvantages, Electrical, -20%, and Maintenance, 1 person, weekly, -5%) [5]; DR 2 (One arm, -40%) [6]; One Arm (Mitigator, -70%) [-6]. 5 points.

The mitigator on 'One Arm' is Electrical, Maintenance (1 person, monthly), and Unhealing disadvantages, as per page 207 in Ultratech. If you don't want all those disads on it, Kromm has a post here breaking it down.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:32 AM   #13
scc

I've already got those ear-marked for the implants, but this is for the preceding notes and is for early cybernetics and those brought cheaply. Also possibly for those cases where the limb is clearly cybernetic (which has other problems in a Dungeon Fantasy world)
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:12 AM   #14
Bruno

Quote:
Also possibly for those cases where the limb is clearly cybernetic (which has other problems in a Dungeon Fantasy world)
Just glue some gears on it and call it steampunk >.>

Golem limbs are a thing that pop up regularly, so depending on the DF world an "obviously cybernetic" arm may be easy to pass off as a golem arm to non-wizards ("My magery senses are not tingling. Wat?")
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:00 PM   #15
Flyndaran
Untagged

Some put pain as a Resistance, so immunity would be 30 points. It's not quite RAW HP as that is +4 rather than +3 for 10 points. But it's close.

Though realistically for cybernetics, reduced sensation would also cause loss of coordination and Numb, Hamfisted, etc.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:10 PM   #16
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Some put pain as a Resistance, so immunity would be 30 points. It's not quite RAW HP as that is +4 rather than +3 for 10 points. But it's close.
the progression for resistance is +3, +8, immunity.

Likewise high pain threshold gives +3.

Immunity to Pain and very high pain threshold +8 are RAW as of divine favour and powers the weird.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:41 PM   #17
Flyndaran
Untagged

Weird. I could have sworn that High Pain Threshold in Basic gave +4, not +3.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:56 PM   #18
Humabout

Quote:
Looking them up it looks to be both, which makes for a net -10%. It doesn't exactly match what I'm after, which is trying to offer early or cheap cyberware that doesn't have a full set of pain (and other) receptors.
Honestly, not feeling pain is a big deal and won't be cheap for anything that costs CP. You could add any of the following on top of HPT + Numb to help bring down the price:

Bad Grip
Ham-Fisted
Klutz
Neurological Disorder
Noisy
Epilepsy*

* Results in your limb having a seizure, not your entire body.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:17 PM   #19
evileeyore
Banned

I'm not sure you should be allowed to stack Ham-Fisted and Numb... as Numb includes one level of Ham-Fisted (mitigated by Taking Extra Time).

Though I suppose there's nothing directly stopping it... the PC will simple never Fast-Draw anything, ever.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:59 PM   #20
The Colonel

Even if it's just the pain receptors that don't work and the rest of the nervous system is fine, the GM has licence to make this go horribly wrong for the PC.

Also, if it's whole body, there should be impressive potential for overexertion injuries and similar delights.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote