Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-11-2017, 11:55 PM   #31
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: The Future of the DFRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I don't feel railroaded in RotRL at all...
Just because it doesn't feel like a train and you're enjoying the trip doesn't mean it isn't a railroad.

Don't get me wrong, it's a very well crafted railroad that gets the PCs moving "on their own accord", but it is very much written with ye olde "A happens and the PCs deal with A, then B happens and the PCs deal with B, then C happens, etc".
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:59 PM   #32
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Just because it doesn't feel like a train and you're enjoying the trip doesn't mean it isn't a railroad.

Don't get me wrong, it's a very well crafted railroad that gets the PCs moving "on their own accord", but it is very much written with ye olde "A happens and the PCs deal with A, then B happens and the PCs deal with B, then C happens, etc".
There's been quite a few situations where we had quite a lot of choice as to how to deal with things, and where to go first.

At any rate any adventure is going to have some of this.

On the other hand in my IG game they are in Valley of The Brain Collectors which really is just a sandbox location with their objective hidden somewhere in it.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 04-12-2017 at 12:09 AM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:07 AM   #33
chrismaille

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
Upper level politics and enumerated gods, the sorts of high-level detail usually focused on in setting books, are information I don't need to play and can easily make up if needed as GM.
Because you are not a novice GM - the target of this Box Set.
chrismaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:46 AM   #34
mhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
A quick answer because I've got some stuff I need to get to, but the thing that kicks me in the pants the most is...a setting. I know it's been avoided for a lot of reasons, but DnD gamers are going to want something that they can grab and go with. If that's built via adventures, fine. But it needs to be there.
Totally agree, especially with the latter part: Introducing settings through adventures (and adventure paths) seems like a very popular idea. Starting with the first vestiges of Greyhawk, then many D20 third party products (e.g. Iron Kingdoms) and culminating in what Paizo did with Pathfinder (which really smashed through the industry assumptions that adventures don't sell).

The great thing with doing that is that having some implied setting in an adventure serves as additional incentive for some buyers, rarely puts someone off, and you're still able to "pivot" if it turns out that some details aren't really that popular.

It's also especially great for smaller publishers who don't want to invest too much beforehand. Doesn't apply to WotC, but probably to SJG and definitely to third party publishers.

Speaking of which, does DFRPG have a better third party "story" than regular GURPS?
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:11 AM   #35
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismaille View Post
Because you are not a novice GM - the target of this Box Set.
What makes you think I'm not a novice? It's seriously a lot easier to make up a pantheon and a few countries with an overview of their political climates than to map out a dungeon and populate it with traps, treasures, and monsters. Setting books always do the wrong half of the work for me.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:03 AM   #36
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
In that way, the locations in an Adventure Path also have replay value. How could they not?
I concur. But why not have the product focus on them instead?

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:11 AM   #37
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
My idea of a useable setting is a somewhat fleshed-out town, a forest to hike through for a number of days, and a dungeon. Upper level politics and enumerated gods, the sorts of high-level detail usually focused on in setting books, are information I don't need to play and can easily make up if needed as GM.
I can kind of see this as a product. I'd leave town more vague and much of the wilderness handled by a table with guidelines for restocking it, but this works. "Keep it simple, stupid" philosophy.

Having said that, I'd still prefer a guide to setting it up yourself. There's also something to be said for B1, which is a map and description, with tables for stocking the dungeon and handing out treasure.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:37 AM   #38
Kalzazz

Trying to come up with a setting that a bunch of people actually like is a trick

If there's a one true DF setting chances are good some people will love it and some will hate it

If they do make one, it needs to go in depth enough to give a good feel of the setting
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:58 AM   #39
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Hell, I'd love to offer the Dragon Heresy setting as a DFRPG product, but I suspect for many reasons that won't come to pass.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:55 AM   #40
Nymdok

SO after thinking about this for some time and looking at this thread and threads like it.....

What if the 'future' of DFRPG is 'none of the above'?

TBC Was kind enough to offer us a list of things that clearly we cannot come to a REMOTE consensus on.

SO maybe, that in and of itself is THE answer.

Maybe the Answer is to draw in a market that actually knows what it wants (collectively speaking).

Paizo had made money selling Adventures.
D&D has made money selling Rules.

What is that thing that DFRPG (specifically) can offer that will have a market aspect that isnt already covered and that will have a market of people who will then know what they want as we clearly do not.

To expect GURPS to be all things to all people is kinda of what its billed as on the Tin. To Expect DF to be all DF things to all DF people might, in that regard, be a bit of a stretch.

Im not a D&D guy. Im not a pathfinder Guy. I have no ability to compare them.

SO, in looking directly at the competing market:

What are the things that NEITHER of those do well that DFRPG will do better at? How should that market space be explored and how big is it? (The GURPS combat engine come to mind for me, for example)

What are the things that BOTH do well that DFRPG could be competitive in? (I am super excited about the art in DFRPG that appears to rival either competitor in Quality)

What are the things that DFRPG does UNIQUELY that the other systems simply dont and that there is a market for. (Multiple Magic Systems comes to mind as magic is kind of integral to DF AND I think GURPS offers more magic systems than competitors).

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote