Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 10-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #11
David Johnston2

Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_rook View Post
Which is the inverse of my Star Trek/Sliders (or maybe more Quantum Leap) idea..
Exiles. It's Exiles.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:37 PM   #12
Hans Rancke-Madsen

One of the ideas I had for a con scenario was a D&D adventure where all the PCs were alternate versions of the same guy, all of them different classes. (Inspired by Keith Laumer's Lafayette O'Leary books).

Another was a bunch of adventures being tasked by these small elfin guys to find their boss who had been kidnapped the day before the winter solstice. It was very important to get him back within 24 hours. Part of the briefing was the opportunity to gear up from this huge sack which contained one example each of everything in the equipment lists (only the boss could get it to refill, and the helpers had already used up all the items with wishes).

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:50 PM   #13
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
The Stuff Heroes Are Maid Of: In a dark city a rich man works out his childhood traumas by wearing a costume to go out and thump bad guys. You are his faithful household staff, who apart from cleaning and maintaining the house, operate behind the scenes to smuggle equipment into caves, do the actual investigative work, and make sure he doesn't get too far over his head all without ever embarrassing him by letting him know you know his hobby.
On my list of things to run someday is a campaign inspired by the movie Fitzwilly. The staff of the rich old lady have been keeping a secret from her for years. She is broke and has been since her father died. So they steal to keep up appearances.

I'm working on a Stargate 1929 campaign where the PCs work for the expedition that discovered the gate only they also find the DHD device to use it then. Pulp heros vs the goa'uld.

I also want to run some kind of Robinsonade but need to develop lots of rules on building up tech level.

Last edited by dcarson; 10-11-2014 at 10:59 PM.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:57 AM   #14
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Yes.
*red-faced* I totally blanked on the title. Your description was enough to clue me in, though.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #15
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
One that I've thought of but never actually put together was "The Voyages of the USS Enterprise." Think Sliders, but with the USS Enterprise. That is, the 12-gun sloop commanded by Stephen Decatur during the Barbary Wars.
Huhn. So why would they keep hopping? Did they find an alien hyperdrive component and set it off accidentally?
Old 10-15-2014, 08:55 PM   #16
RyanW

Quote:
Huhn. So why would they keep hopping? Did they find an alien hyperdrive component and set it off accidentally?
Like I said, I never really put this in any immediately useable form, but I figured the ship itself was affected some way that caused it to periodically shift. Any crew members not onboard would be left behind. With the ship the only way to (maybe) get home some day, riding out the voyages becomes critical. On the other hand, supply makes going ashore and/or dealing with the locals (and getting tangled up in their issues) a necessity as well. I expect staying in some perceived paradise would at some point become an issue for debate, of course.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:48 AM   #17
SCAR

Quote:
Halloween: In a fantasy world where nations of vampires, werewolves, witches and spiritualists live alongside mortal men, something new and strange is stirring. The mortals are becoming increasingly hostile, tempted to attack by the promises of sorcerers with strange powers who call themselves...scientists. The player characters find themselves captured experimental subjects who despite the hostility between their disparate kinds must unite to escape the the scientists, their mortal allies, and the abominations their weird "science" are creating to serve as weapons and warn their people to unite against the growing threat.
I like this one, a nice simple switch-a-roo on Supernatural vs. Science, with interesting possibilities.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #18
David Johnston2

Re-Enterprised: A star trek game set during the time of the Enterprise series...except at actual GURPS TL 9. They use lasers, bullets and nuclear weapons. They have no transporters or universal translators. And at least at first their mission will be trying to convince the largely autonomous Earth colonies to "federate" with Earth, now that Earth has fast enough starships to field an interstellar fleet. Set against the actual star map of the closest 50 light years to Sol.

School for the Gifted: The characters are adolescents who have superpowers and have been sent by their loving parents to a school that will teach them how to use them to be heros...allegedly. However they learn the hard way that their teachers seem to think that those of lesser power should always defer to the greater and the only protection against bullying is to grow stronger, or serve those who will protect them. They are actually at a school for supervillains, and are being trained to one day be part of an army that will unite the world under the rule of the "superior"...

Janissaries: The characters were abducted as children from their native world and sold to an interstellar empire because their species is known for their ability to gain super-powers under the right kind of stimulus. Now they serve as the slave-soldiers of the imperial crown, defending the empire from it's foes...until the day they stumble across the coordinates of the hidden world they came from.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #19
Anaraxes

Quote:
Janissaries
Nice.

Only one species known to become super? So all or a significant fraction of the Janissaries might be drawn by the call of their homeworld. With many such species, the fraction of janissaries that might revolt would be small. Assuming, of course, that independence has any interest for the PCs.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:31 PM   #20
SolemnGolem

Dark Mario: Two natural powers vie for supremacy and resources: a psionic Fungal Sprawl, which projected temporary psychic creatures, versus the Scaled Folk, which relies on technology and war.

The Scaled Folk represents sorcery, evolution through rapid mutation, and change and action. The Fungal Sprawl represents psionic powers, static existence, cogitation, and passivity.

A much younger civilization - the humans - have stumbled onto this fight. The earliest contact was with an exploration team that initially contacted the Fungal Sprawl and befriended it. (The Sprawl intentionally created the Toads as projections that humans would find appealing and non-threatening.) The humans also contacted the Scaled Folk, and was eventually taken hostage by them after one human turned traitor and sold out his crew for the piddling sum of Six Golden Coins. The crew was petrified, including the leader, an experienced female explorer, and the traitor continues to advise the Koopa and upgrade their lighter-than-air weapons programs.

Now, years later, the Fungal Sprawl faces eventual extinction as the Scaled Folk burn and despoil its biomass. The human civilization has sent two brothers in an effort to neutralize the traitor, topple the Koopa rulers, and recover the petrified exploration team.
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote