Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2018, 12:14 PM   #31
Fred Brackin

Default Re: THS 2120!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
You may not explicitly say that 'they have to be stopped'. But do consider that the protection of religions seems to at least partially be intertwined with the assumption that when a person says "I believe YHWH is the best deity" this is an earnest deeply-held belief that entitles a person to some special protections, as opposed to "I believe chocolate ice-cream is best", which does not (because it's considered a belief not as deeply-held).
That is not "protecting" religious practice. It is _empowering_ it with rights not given to non-religions.

That's not only dubious in my eyes it's viewed as a very slippery slope in US law generally. See some of the commentary on yesterday's bakery case that the Supreme Court decided. Apparently, the main reason that the Court ruled the way it did was that the original forum the case was heard in was not neutral towards the baker's religion. Rather it was actively hostile. Simple neutrality may have avoided SCOTUS' problems with the case.

Also, note that if a lower court had been actively hostile to one party's ethnicity or gender or a similar factor the case would not be likely to have gotten as far as it did.

So no, I wouldn't give special rights to religious belief and this is one area where i may not be out of the local mainstream.