Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 01-15-2016, 01:04 PM   #811
MIB 9966

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

I suspect the problem is that used products don't turn over as quickly as new items do, and if it takes up space too long, it's using up floor/shelf space that stores would rather devote to stuff that would sell better. People want whatever is the latest or most compatible with what they have and over time, that is more likely only the latest version, despite the few who do have the older versions that they are looking to add to.
MIB 9966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:20 PM   #812
xlyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
On the flip side one cannot purchase something that the shop does not stock.

Then it is up to the players to create a demand.
xlyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:26 PM   #813
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlyce View Post
Then it is up to the players to create a demand.
How do players create a demand when they don't know something can be demanded? Not everyone reads this forum.

Also, I refer you to this thread - it's as much the job of the publisher to create that demand.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:29 PM   #814
cptbutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB 9966 View Post
I suspect the problem is that used products don't turn over as quickly as new items do, and if it takes up space too long, it's using up floor/shelf space that stores would rather devote to stuff that would sell better. People want whatever is the latest or most compatible with what they have and over time, that is more likely only the latest version, despite the few who do have the older versions that they are looking to add to.
And those two boxes are an afterthought so no one except the manager/owner knows squat about them. And dicks like me who won't pay MSRP on something used from a box marked "discount".
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:59 AM   #815
Tom H.

I like GURPS and Role Playing Games, so some of the handwringing about their profitability in this thread is of particular interest to me.

Although this may be dangerous to say, I think GURPS and RPG's would be more profitable if they could be "sold" for the actual value they provide.

What I mean by this is that I spend way more time reading and using my favorite RPG materials compared to board and card games.

However, the up front price I pay to purchase the materials doesn't necessarily reflect how much I may value or use them in the future.

The critical point here is that based on value I would have payed hundreds of more dollars for some of my GURPS materials (and would have expected a partial refund on my Munchkin Deluxe ;-) sorry couldn't resist throwing that bomb in there.)

Ironically, I wouldn't have been willing to pay hundreds of dollars up front for those really valuable books because I couldn't predict their future value to me at the time of purchase.

There's a lot of talk here trying to justify priorities based on market data. My point is that our cold hard marketing numbers may be distortions, because they may not be addressing real value.

This is really a nuanced problem with the current state of commerce in general.

Of course, I'm sure this will continue to be addressed with technology in the future. For better or worse, our computers may monitor everything we do and send micro-payments second by second to the true beneficiaries of our "purchases."

Two current approaches to capturing this hidden value without standard "up front" marketing are (1) subscription based models and (2) overwhelming random collectible expansion packs (that usually wreck any semblance of the original self-sufficient introductory game.)
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:18 AM   #816
Tom H.

I also wanted to suggest my personal spending priorities for GURPS.

I prefer lots of aids that are more directly related to me playing and running actual games.

GURPS is amazing in the ability to refine the rules in detail, but those supplements detract me from getting to the playing which is already somewhat deferred due to the inherent nature of RPG's versus say card games.

I really appreciate the above post by Sean Punch describing how thorough the team is in getting the quality and content of the products right. That is important to me and is noticed. The GURPS basic set is actually fun to read, well-structured, and formatted.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:42 AM   #817
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
The critical point here is that based on value I would have payed hundreds of more dollars for some of my GURPS materials (and would have expected a partial refund on my Munchkin Deluxe ;-) sorry couldn't resist throwing that bomb in there.)
If that's how you feel, you could trash the Munchkin game and choose to believe that you donated $30 toward the GURPS budget instead. Or you could give the Munchkin game to someone who is more likely to enjoy it, and then you have two winners instead of one loser.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:07 AM   #818
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Although this may be dangerous to say, I think GURPS and RPG's would be more profitable if they could be "sold" for the actual value they provide.
You're suggesting subjective pricing. This would never work at retail because every person places a different "value" on a thing. What you're discussing has been done digitally; "pay what you want" pricing models exist. Unfortunately, I've rarely heard of someone working out the math of "dollars per hour of fun" and then paying based on the numerical result.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:33 PM   #819
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
If that's how you feel, you could trash the Munchkin game and choose to believe that you donated $30 toward the GURPS budget instead. Or you could give the Munchkin game to someone who is more likely to enjoy it, and then you have two winners instead of one loser.
Good perspective Andrew, but I was just playing up the rivalry with my comment.

It is truly amazing the commercial success you have had with Munchkin. I think some of us GURPS fans are just astounded and jealous that there isn't as much enthusiasm for our "more legitimate" game ;-)

Thank all of you guys for your hard work.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:47 PM   #820
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Good perspective Andrew, but I was just playing up the rivalry with my comment.
I am thrilled there are so many enthusiastic GURPS fans helping to keep the game alive. If it weren't for you guys, I would be missing several coworkers I consider friends. They work hard to create and publish fantastic content in an increasingly unfriendly market for traditional roleplaying games, and it doesn't do any good to make it seem like they're competing with our own games as well. I'm honored to be on their team.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote