Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-04-2016, 12:01 AM   #521
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
The thing I find most off putting about DF, is its ad copy. For example the Kickstarter describes the game like this: "GURPS (the Generic Universal RolePlaying System) turns 30 this year, and Dungeon Fantasy focuses its award-winning power on hack ‘n’ slash fantasy roleplaying, where stalwart heroes kick down doors, kill monsters, and take their stuff in order to grow powerful enough to tackle the next quest . . . which naturally features stronger doors, tougher monsters, and better stuff!"
That very accurately describes DF, I'm not seeing your complaint?

Can GURPS go beyond this? Yes, but DF heroes really aren't set up to go beyond this without some work.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:02 AM   #522
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
I find the DF line much more interesting and flexible than the ad copy keeps insisting. And I really can't fathom why the ad copy continuously insists that it is mindless doors, monster, and loot with no discussion of character, imagination, epic narratives. It is not necessary and I think it costs potential customers--needlessly.
Thank you. That needed to be said.

The implication is also that streamlining rules and making content more accessible means giving up part of the essence of RPG's. You can no longer make the game your own because it won't allow you to get much more sophisticated than Munchkin.

Furthermore, if that is really what Dungeon Fantasy is all about, who's going to create the sub-genre "Powered by GURPS" that then adds back in the story and role-playing.

Sometimes all the soft-skill crunch of the full GURPS basic set would even impede a good narrative or a social interaction.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:48 AM   #523
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Definitely backed - I just wish there were more add-ons that were useful for me, someone who already owns a bunch of Dungeon Fantasy PDFs, so that I could help the project even more.
That would complicate and distract from the project's cause. We are not looking to construct a nightmare that takes forever to end. We're measuring demand for printed GURPS games and supplements.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:16 AM   #524
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Phil, will additional sheets of cardboard heroes be available as either addons or after the project ends, through w23? Once I see the prototypes and get a list of the tokens, I will probably want a second set...
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:18 AM   #525
Tallor

In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, I've always thought that a dungeon-generating system just needed consistency. Undead chilling with other undead, orcs with an ogre bruiser and some goblins, giants with trained wolves/bears/boars led by a druid... but not random mixes unless that's really what the GM wants.

Am I making sense..?
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:40 AM   #526
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Phil, will additional sheets of cardboard heroes be available as either addons or after the project ends, through w23? Once I see the prototypes and get a list of the tokens, I will probably want a second set...
There are no plans for extra sheets at this time.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:41 AM   #527
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, I've always thought that a dungeon-generating system just needed consistency. Undead chilling with other undead, orcs with an ogre bruiser and some goblins, giants with trained wolves/bears/boars led by a druid... but not random mixes unless that's really what the GM wants.

Am I making sense..?
Central Casting Dungeons has this by listing abstract threat levels rather than specific monsters.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:58 AM   #528
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
There are no plans for extra sheets at this time.
Oh well...

Also, I'm not talking about different sheets, I'm talking about extra copies so you have a way to get a new "cardboard hero 4" when your copy gets an acid bath (also known as when the coke glass tips)
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:06 AM   #529
The Cardinal

Quote:
Oh well...

Also, I'm not talking about different sheets, I'm talking about extra copies so you have a way to get a new "cardboard hero 4" when your copy gets an acid bath (also known as when the coke glass tips)
yep, the option of additional copies would be a good way to get even more of my money :)
Old 09-04-2016, 06:17 AM   #530
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Oh well...

Understood. Still, we currently have no plans to offer extras of the sheets.

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy