Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-13-2016, 05:09 AM   #1021
Rasputin

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Well if you're using Parallels you can apparently get it to work.
GCA works better in Parallels than straight Windows. If GCA crashes, which happens often, it can force a reboot of Windows, which just means a restart of the Windows VM in Parallels.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:27 AM   #1022
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

"Go use this computer program to make your character" sounds dangerously close to "You need a scientific calculator to make your character and play the game" to me. And as much fun as I've had screwing around with AD&D 2nd Edition and D&D 3.0e character generation programs, I always found the kind of information they'd print out useless for actual play due to formatting...and also you can't take a pencil eraser to the printed ink when you change your character and would need to make the change in-program and print out another character sheet entirely if you used such a "game aid".

So in summary, I'm one of many players who would much prefer to use a pencil and paper - possibly even use college-ruled notebook paper instead of the official character sheet!
Old 09-13-2016, 06:24 AM   #1023
Kalzazz

I'm lazy and computer program makes it easy to sum points

And electronic sheets are harder to lose
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:21 AM   #1024
kmunoz

I suspect character creation in DFRPG has been sufficiently simplified that using GCA will not appreciably reduce char-gen time. And, to be honest, if using GCA would appreciably reduce char-gen time for a DFRPG character, I'd consider that a failure.
kmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:09 AM   #1025
David Johansen

I've done it both ways but have largely given up on GCA. I just type characters up in my word processor. My issue is that I don't like the character sheet format which is too busy for new players and tends to spill over onto numerous partial pages when printing.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:12 AM   #1026
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I like to use spreadsheets.

It lets me keep track of point totals, but format it any way I want and just write down any weird advantages or house rules.

But I also like spreadsheets in general, and use them for things like campaign notes.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:46 AM   #1027
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Smith View Post
I don't understand this at all. GCA makes it so easy to turn stuff up and down during final tweaking.
Sure. Maybe. Once you understand what all those things are, how they interact, and where the buttons are.

And then there's this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrion View Post
It also tends to break randomly and is not exactly trivial to learn.
Two of three times I've sat down to play around with it (nothing serious just trying to familiarize myself) it crashed. One of those times it took Windows with it.

And then there's also this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
My issue is that I don't like the character sheet format which is too busy for new players and tends to spill over onto numerous partial pages when printing.
One of the guys in our group has to use it for an online game he's in. I've seen the mess his Martial Artist's sheet is. He didn't have the patience to try find a way to make it neater and I don't want to use a program that won't let me build my sheet my way.

If I have to go and redo the entire sheet by hand when I'm done... I might as well just make it by hand in the first place.

And then there's this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I like to use spreadsheets.
I've got a custom built Open Office spreadsheet that sets up my characters the exact way I want them and prefigures out the few things I don't want to have to do the math on (Encumberance, base ST damages, Dodge) and a few that were simple to just precalculate (HP, FP).

And I don't need a program to work out point totals (though the spreadsheet makes it a bit simpler), I've been building characters for GURPS for almost 30 years. I can generally intuit raising and lowering stats and how much that will save or cost*.

* I cluster skills by Stat and purpose as I buy them, so if I notice I've got 20+ IQ skills all bought at 2 points, that's a gimme.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:00 AM   #1028
al_kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Joe View Post
Now if only we could get Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, and Kim Kardashian to tweet about how much they love GURPS...
Katy Perry plays GURPS, Taylor Swift plays 5th Ed D&D, and Kim Kardashian is still trying to figure out the rules for TWERPS.
al_kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:27 AM   #1029
Nemoricus

I've done a breakdown of what various amounts can get you in the Kickstarter. Would people be interested in seeing it?
Nemoricus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:43 AM   #1030
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoricus View Post
I've done a breakdown of what various amounts can get you in the Kickstarter. Would people be interested in seeing it?
Very much.

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy