Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-21-2018, 01:11 AM   #11
Celjabba

Default Re: GURPS Power Ups suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Gadgeteering and Inventing. PLEASE!
This would have my vote too ! Mixing base, DF, AtE and Mars Attack rules in a single book...
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:12 AM   #12
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
What I'd want to see would be a “Styles and Techniques” Power-Up that reframes Techniques as components of Styles rather than treating them as stand-alone traits. That is, listing and improving Techniques should be done primarily through Styles.
I don't think I can agree with that. It doesn't seem to be a good fit to what might be called mundane techniques.

For example, there's a Work by Touch technique that attaches to Lockpicking. (Other Work by Touch techniques can be defined as well.) That's certainly a logical technique for that skill. But it isn't as if there were lockpicking styles that taught special techniques to initiates that weren't available to laymen.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.

Last edited by whswhs; 10-21-2018 at 12:34 PM.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:09 PM   #13
Vaevictis Asmadi

Dataweaver, I can see how your suggestion makes sense for combat techniques. However, it's a much higher overhead for a GM to create entire non-combat styles, rather than non-combat techniques.

There have been non-combat techniques published for craft skills and medical skills, which would be very awkward if they could only be used as part of entire styles.

I think that your approach would work well as a possibility discussed in a Power-Ups: Techniques book, but not at the expense of advice for designing stand-alone non-combat Techniques.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:39 PM   #14
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
This would have my vote too ! Mixing base, DF, AtE and Mars Attack rules in a single book...
What I really need here is not power-ups. It's rules for coming up with new gadgets without being a transcendent genius. For example, there are vast numbers of musical instruments on Earth, and someone has to have invented each of them. But it really shouldn't take a Gadgeteer, or even an engineer, to invent the bullroarer or the balalaika. Or, if you prefer weapons, the shortsword or the bolas.

In my current campaign, the PCs have gone to a shipwright and asked to have a new ship made at +22% scale. I'm really not sure what the shipwright is rolling against, or with what difficulty. The price looks to make the ship Average or maybe Complex, but the penalties for that are just insanely high.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:47 PM   #15
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
In my current campaign, the PCs have gone to a shipwright and asked to have a new ship made at +22% scale. I'm really not sure what the shipwright is rolling against...
Carpenter or Engineer (Ship hulls) would be my call.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:58 AM   #16
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Me, I'd like to see LogST get its own Power-Up book, so it can be addressed fully.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:48 AM   #17
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
In my current campaign, the PCs have gone to a shipwright and asked to have a new ship made at +22% scale. I'm really not sure what the shipwright is rolling against, or with what difficulty. The price looks to make the ship Average or maybe Complex, but the penalties for that are just insanely high.
I'm working on straightening out the inventions rules, in the same space navy campaign that made so much use of Back to School. Building a modified ship with the same technology isn't a new invention. A new arrangement of sails, or method of ballasting, might be.

If the shipwright has plans on hand for a ship similar to what the PCs are asking for, he'll likely offer them that. TL1-3 ship plans aren't engineering drawings in the modern sense, but a set of rules of thumb about how many structural members you need, and what thickness everything should be.

If the PCs are asking for something bigger than the shipwright has built before, he'll need to make an Engineer/TL1 (Ships) roll to figure out how his scaling rules should be applied, and he'll likely err on the side of caution. This will make the ship heavier than it strictly needs to be, but that's better than having it break in a storm. Refining ship designs takes time and trials, even today.

If the PCs aren't asking for something larger than he's done before, but want a size he doesn't have plans for, I'd give the shipwright Engineer +2 or so to design it.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:30 AM   #18
SilvercatMoonpaw

I don't know if this would be a Power-Up, but I could go for a GURPS Benchmarks product that collected various Real World ratings in GURPS terms in one convenient place so that if I want to know what "as powerful as a tank" means I don't have to have memorized which book has tank stats in it.
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:56 AM   #19
smurf
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
I don't know if this would be a Power-Up, but I could go for a GURPS Benchmarks product that collected various Real World ratings in GURPS terms in one convenient place so that if I want to know what "as powerful as a tank" means I don't have to have memorized which book has tank stats in it.
Sort of Newtons of Force and ST equivalents?

What force was used on a wheel nut and what level of ST does TK have to be to undo it?
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:41 AM   #20
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Me, I'd like to see LogST get its own Power-Up book, so it can be addressed fully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
What force was used on a wheel nut and what level of ST does TK have to be to undo it?
I love you guys, but this is not helping the "GURPS is too mathy" criticisms.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote