Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-15-2018, 02:08 AM   #11
Michele

Default Re: Homebase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
I don't understand the question. Aside from some base-building rules mentioned above, if we're just using the Basic Set, you build a base by citing the justification for your character having a base. Who paid for it? Your Patron? Does the Patron have those kinds of funds and willingness to build the base? Your own Wealth? Are you that Wealthy? Did you take it over on an adventure (in which case, it's free)?

I don't see a need to define a base as part of your character. You just need to explain the resources you called upon to get a base.
Yes, but what if the character is Struggling (because the player wants such a character) and still has a base? There would be no way for him to get it out of GURPS dollars and Wealth.
So maybe he gained it through previous adventuring, as you say. But that might be not during the current campaign, it may have happened before character creation. And - in that case, there is a GURPS catch-all advantage for that sort of thing: Unusual Background.
It's a general GURPS principle, anyway, that you can spend character points to make up for dollars, if you wish. It's handy for this sort of character concept.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:16 AM   #12
Stormcrow

If a Struggling character has a Patron who will provide a base, then there you go.

If a Struggling character knows another character who owns a base and is willing to share it, that works too.

No, a Struggling character can't outright buy a base, but that's pretty much what Struggling means, right?
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:45 AM   #13
Michele

Quote:
No, a Struggling character can't outright buy a base, but that's pretty much what Struggling means, right?
Absolutely. Likewise, nobody in a gameworld that is our own Earth can be a wizard because magic doesn't really exist - but if the PC has Unusual Background, then he can. It will be costly, say 50 CPs. If OTOH magic does exist, but it's a well-kept secret, somebody able to use magic has Unusual Background and it will cost him 10 CPs. I know, because it's the rulebook example.

So maybe the Struggling PC really can't seem to make serious money (the player likes the PC's good-for-nothing attitude), and yet he owns a safe house that would normally go with Comfortable, at least. That's because he's gained it through adventuring before character creation. It's a long story... but whatever the story is, the advantage deriving from owning this property regardless of Wealth level can be covered by Unusual Background.
Now, probably the PC won't be able to maintain the safe house with his Struggling Wealth level; maintenance, taxes and even utilities etc. Fine with me, that's good adventure seed material. We'll see if he can cling to that real estate or not.

Note any Unusual Background has to be okayed by the GM. If you don't like this approach and you're the GM, then just forbid it.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:01 PM   #14
korbeau

You should read "What's in a Lair?" from Pyramid #86.

Very useful guidelines for building a lair
korbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:09 PM   #15
Stormcrow

If you want to use Unusual Background for that, the Game Police won't stop you, but I don't think it's really meant for that. Owning a base is not exactly a "special ability" that isn't widely available in the game world, unless you've got a REALLY weird world.

What you're describing sounds to me like Signature Gear: "distinctive, valuable possessions unrelated to your wealth level." Work out how much the base will cost, multiply by two, divide by average campaign starting wealth, and that's the number of points of Signature Gear you need to spend.

So if my TL8 base is worth $1M, I'd need to spend 100 character points to make it Signature Gear. Then, no matter what my Wealth or Status, I'd have a million-$ base.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:56 PM   #16
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Definitely not as an Ally, unless it's going to travel with you on your adventures rather than staying behind. I believe there are rules for buying a base as a variant Patron; in fact, I see that they're in GURPS Supers, which I wrote! You can also find rules for buying it as a variation on Signature Gear.
Depending on the writer, the TARDIS is definitely an Ally of the Doctor, with an availability of 15 or less... or possibly a special availability, like 17 or less. Definitely not all the time, though, and sometimes retrieving her can be an adventure, itself.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:01 AM   #17
Michele

Quote:
If you want to use Unusual Background for that, the Game Police won't stop you, but I don't think it's really meant for that. Owning a base is not exactly a "special ability" that isn't widely available in the game world, unless you've got a REALLY weird world.
Sure! Owning a second piece of built-up real estate isn't unusual or special - if you can afford it. I was suggesting Unusual Background for such ownership for those who can't afford it. Which would be special, not widely available and unusual in any game worlds where the economy works as we know it.

Quote:
What you're describing sounds to me like Signature Gear: "distinctive, valuable possessions unrelated to your wealth level." Work out how much the base will cost, multiply by two, divide by average campaign starting wealth, and that's the number of points of Signature Gear you need to spend.
A very good point, and a very good alternative. Note I'm not championing Unusual Background in particular. I'm only insisting that in GURPS, you can always find ways to work out a non-standard situation by expending character points, including in exchange for money unrelated to the Wealth Advantage. Why, you can even directly trade points for money (p. B26).
Old 10-16-2018, 05:51 AM   #18
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Depending on the writer, the TARDIS is definitely an Ally of the Doctor, with an availability of 15 or less... or possibly a special availability, like 17 or less. Definitely not all the time, though, and sometimes retrieving her can be an adventure, itself.
I’d say Ally Constant and Dependent 12 or less. Every episode starts and ends with the TARDIS, but sometimes it must be protected, saved, etc.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:14 PM   #19
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
I’d say Ally Constant and Dependent 12 or less. Every episode starts and ends with the TARDIS, but sometimes it must be protected, saved, etc.
Not every episode actually. It's rare, but the Doctor has traveled without the TARDIS on occasion.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:06 AM   #20
Stormcrow

The player of the Doctor has changed the frequency of appearance of the TARDIS over the course of the campaign. For instance, when the Doctor was exiled to Earth, the frequency was much lower than ever.

It's never been "always," though. At most, "15 or less."

Personally, I wouldn't handle the TARDIS as an Ally. It's an NPC that operates at the whim of the GM, who USUALLY wants the Doctor to be able to travel in it from adventure to adventure. It's a plot device.