Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 02-19-2018, 05:33 AM   #31
tHEhERETIC

Default Re: In Nomine: the Sandbox

This convivial meeting is interrupted by a large black dog letting itself in the front door. Larry the owner asks aloud, "Is this anybody's dog? You have to take...him..." but he stops when he gets a good look at the animal. He's nearly the size of a horse, trails a trail of mist behind him, and has singularly horrible breath. He walks up to your table, sniffs around you, and decides to park by your feet.

He has only one eye, cyclops-like, in the center of his forehead.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:51 AM   #32
ladyarcana55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
This convivial meeting is interrupted by a large black dog letting itself in the front door. Larry the owner asks aloud, "Is this anybody's dog? You have to take...him..." but he stops when he gets a good look at the animal. He's nearly the size of a horse, trails a trail of mist behind him, and has singularly horrible breath. He walks up to your table, sniffs around you, and decides to park by your feet.
Sunae looks at the dog in surprise.

It can't be...

But it has to be. He looks a bit different but it can be only one entity. Black Shuck. She had grown quite attached to him even though he is supposed to be nothing more but a myth, a ghost, maybe even a bringer of death and bad luck. Sunae hugs him and scratches his neck and side.

"Shuck!" she whispers to him, "Why are you here? I hope you're not bringing me bad omens. But if you are, that's okay. I still love you. I've missed you so much."

Her joy is sincere and palpable. It's a side of her people don't often get to see.

Last edited by ladyarcana55; 02-20-2018 at 09:48 PM.
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:09 AM   #33
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarcana55 View Post
Sunae looks at the dog in surprise.

It can't be...

But it has to be. He looks a bit different but it can be only one entity. Black Shuck. She had grown quite attached to him even though he is supposed to be nothing more but a myth, a ghost, maybe even a bringer of death and bad luck. Sunae hugs him and scratches his neck and side.

"Shuck!" she whispers to him, "Why are you here? I hope you're not bringing me bad omens. But if you are, that's okay. I still love you. I've missed you so much."

Her joy is sincere and palpable. It's a side of her people don't often get to see.
((Typing on phone))

Shuck accepts his due of attention then lays his head on Sunae's foot. "That shoe is ruined," Kyle observes wryly. Shuck throws him the evil eye, not deigning the cherub worthy of a growl.

"I wonder how much is left of Glen's front door." Ryuki is comfortable enough with the giant hound but he does not try to touch him. "He's not necessarily an omen. He protects women from highwaymen, and needs lots of space to roam. Yeah, Glen's place has got to be trashed, or Glen will be showing up in a minute with an empty leash and drag marks. Which reminds me," he pivots to Mitch, "are there any guidelines for submitting an expense report to 'IHS'? And who do I send it in to?"
Old 02-25-2018, 12:11 AM   #34
ladyarcana55

Quote:
Shuck accepts his due of attention then lays his head on Sunae's foot. "That shoe is ruined," Kyle observes wryly. Shuck throws him the evil eye, not deigning the cherub worthy of a growl.

"I wonder how much is left of Glen's front door." Ryuki is comfortable enough with the giant hound but he does not try to touch him. "He's not necessarily an omen. He protects women from highwaymen, and needs lots of space to roam. Yeah, Glen's place has got to be trashed, or Glen will be showing up in a minute with an empty leash and drag marks."
Sunae keeps a hand on Shuck's head and continues to pet him.

"A leash? Really?"

Quote:
"Which reminds me," he pivots to Mitch, "are there any guidelines for submitting an expense report to 'IHS'? And who do I send it in to?"
"Expense report? For what?"
Old 02-26-2018, 06:50 PM   #35
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Sunae keeps a hand on Shuck's head and continues to pet him.

"A leash? Really?"
Corat laughs. "Only way Glen's going to keep up with that hound is if he's dragged behind him or riding on top of him, and I don't see Shuck there tolerating a saddle anytime soon."

Quote:
"Expense report? For what?"
Kyle smirks and watches to see the variety of rope Ryuki is going to hang himself with, figuratively speaking.

"Lodging for one. That's going to be a tough sell to guys who don't need to sleep and can rest in a friend's pocket, but I'm not that flexible. Drinks at that San Dimas bar, though I won't bill for the ones in Kumamoto--paid cash for those anyway. Probably not airfare this time, though I'll bill for my neurologist visits...then again, I'm not sure I want the angels talking to my neurologist. I'd hate to see him pressured to give me a clean bill of brain if he's not sure."

The two War angels find something on the table very fascinating, and are not making eye contact.

Ryuki makes the connection on who Kyle is. "I'd bill for the shorts I ruined waiting for you guys back on Oahu, but I wasn't signed up at that point. Wouldn't have ruined the shorts, I suppose, if I had been."

"You really were that scared?"

"I really was that scared. Literally pants-soiling scared."
Old 02-26-2018, 11:53 PM   #36
ladyarcana55

Quote:
Corat laughs. "Only way Glen's going to keep up with that hound is if he's dragged behind him or riding on top of him, and I don't see Shuck there tolerating a saddle anytime soon."
"Oh, you don't need a saddle to ride."

She addresses Shuck as she scratches his head and side

"But if I asked, would you let me ride?"

Quote:
"Lodging for one. That's going to be a tough sell to guys who don't need to sleep and can rest in a friend's pocket, but I'm not that flexible. Drinks at that San Dimas bar, though I won't bill for the ones in Kumamoto--paid cash for those anyway. Probably not airfare this time, though I'll bill for my neurologist visits...then again, I'm not sure I want the angels talking to my neurologist. I'd hate to see him pressured to give me a clean bill of brain if he's not sure."
Sunae looks at him in utter confusion

"Ryuki...you come from a very affluent family. You don't need the money. It's not as though you have to make every penny count. Why do you need to be compensated?"

Last edited by ladyarcana55; 02-27-2018 at 03:49 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:28 PM   #37
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
"Oh, you don't need a saddle to ride."

She addresses Shuck as she scratches his head and side

"But if I asked, would you let me ride?"

Sunae looks at him in utter confusion

"Ryuki...you come from a very affluent family. You don't need the money. It's not as though you have to make every penny count. Why do you need to be compensated?"
Shuck snuffles; riding is absurd.

Ryuki is answering Sunae but he's watching Mitch--how do Marc's people do business? "It makes about as much sense as collecting salary and expenses from my father. The money belongs to us as a family, not me personally. Here's the kicker, though--dad expenses the company that he owns. No matter how much money you have, you need to track it. Slippery stuff, gets away if you don't track it. That and the IRS might want to know too." He's been doing this for so long he doesn't know how to explain it to someone who hasn't.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:45 PM   #38
ladyarcana55

Quote:
Shuck snuffles; riding is absurd.
Sunae laughs and gives Shuck a hug

"I was kidding."

Quote:
Ryuki is answering Sunae but he's watching Mitch--how do Marc's people do business? "It makes about as much sense as collecting salary and expenses from my father. The money belongs to us as a family, not me personally. Here's the kicker, though--dad expenses the company that he owns. No matter how much money you have, you need to track it. Slippery stuff, gets away if you don't track it. That and the IRS might want to know too." He's been doing this for so long he doesn't know how to explain it to someone who hasn't.
Sunae shakes her head slowly in awe

"It is so different from what I know. We all fend for ourselves but we are expected to contribute to the needs of the family. Whether anyone deals with the legal aspect of it all, I couldn't tell you. I am allowed to keep a specific amount of money that I earn, just enough to provide the basics. The rest goes to the family."

"The idea is to foster a sense of independence and sacrifice. But also, avoid the temptations of vanity and greed."

Last edited by ladyarcana55; 03-06-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:11 PM   #39
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Sunae laughs and gives Shuck a hug

"I was kidding."

Sunae shakes her head slowly in awe

"It is so different from what I know. We all fend for ourselves but we are expected to contribute to the needs of the family. Whether anyone deals with the legal aspect of it all, I couldn't tell you. I am allowed to keep a specific amount of money that I earn, just enough to provide the basics. The rest goes to the family."

"The idea is to foster a sense of independence and sacrifice. But also, avoid the temptations of vanity and greed."
"Vanity and greed are part of my job, actually. You have to look good in my line of work, but it's a subtle thing. Too flashy and you look like an ingenue, and my clients look for experience. I have to project that despite being only thirty. Clothes have to fit well enough to play iaido in them, even though that's not what they're for, because it tells the people I work with that I have a very good tailor and a very good personal trainer and I know how to use both. So, I suppose, it's less vanity and more savvy: projected.

"Yeah it's different. None of us fend for ourselves, to the point that we chafe at it and wander off to do our own thing. I learned the basics of banking back in kindergarten, but when I got older and wanted to chase angels I was allowed to, within limits, as long as I also pursued the family's goals. Of course I pushed those limits," he added, assuming that absolutely everyone does that, "and Dad was hanging around to see where I'd go and how far. In the end, though, we all contribute to Pacific World and we all gain from it, and any one of us could run the whole operation if we really had to. None of us is immortal." That last bit is a dig.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:42 PM   #40
ladyarcana55

Quote:
"Vanity and greed are part of my job, actually. You have to look good in my line of work, but it's a subtle thing. Too flashy and you look like an ingenue, and my clients look for experience. I have to project that despite being only thirty. Clothes have to fit well enough to play iaido in them, even though that's not what they're for, because it tells the people I work with that I have a very good tailor and a very good personal trainer and I know how to use both. So, I suppose, it's less vanity and more savvy: projected."
Sunae thinks about it and nods. Her body language and face says

Yeah, I guess that makes sense

"I suppose I shouldn't talk about vanity."

She says as she looks down at herself. She takes a sweeping glance at the highly fashionable, sexy party dress she is wearing with obvious distaste. With a perfectly manicured nail she points to her hair and make up and rolls her eyes.

"But then again, this isn't vanity. It's a uniform. It just reinforces my dislike and impatience for it all."

Quote:
"Yeah it's different. None of us fend for ourselves, to the point that we chafe at it and wander off to do our own thing. I learned the basics of banking back in kindergarten, but when I got older and wanted to chase angels I was allowed to, within limits, as long as I also pursued the family's goals. Of course I pushed those limits," he added, assuming that absolutely everyone does that, "and Dad was hanging around to see where I'd go and how far. In the end, though, we all contribute to Pacific World and we all gain from it, and any one of us could run the whole operation if we really had to. None of us is immortal." That last bit is a dig.
"No one fends for themselves? I can't imagine that. But I can sort of understand. That's a very easy way to make sure everyone is doing what they are supposed to. In my case that's not as much of an issue. Grandfather always pops up when he feels something requires his attention."

Sunae thinks about it for a few seconds then shakes her head

"I just can't wrap my head around that."

Last edited by ladyarcana55; 03-13-2018 at 01:13 AM.