Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:14 PM   #31
Macunaima

Default Re: Balancing out the Missile Tank

Costing it out in the Cobb Calculator as three 1-4 attacks brings the MSL up to 5.87.

It's also a nasty anti overrun vehicle in that configuration.
Macunaima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:37 PM   #32
Ashley

Tweaking with HC formula:

Atk 1 Rng 5
Atk 1 Rng 5
Atk 1 Rng 5
D 1 M 2 LT

Where it moves as a Light tank and gets double in overruns costs 6.25 VPs, which looks like it's on the nail, and is probably as much as I would want to polish up the unit. Still needs play-testing though.

Blogs:
http://panther6actual.blogspot.co.uk/
http://ashleyrpollard.blogspot.co.uk/
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:48 PM   #33
hcobb

The target the Missile Tank was born to shoot at is the cruise missile. If you leave important parts of the game in the box, you'll get a distorted view of it.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:41 PM   #34
Macunaima

Wrong, Henry. The MSL existed long before the cruise missile and 9 out of 10 ogre games don't use cruise missiles anyway. I, for one, prefer to ignore them and lasers except in very specific circumstances. Many other players feel the same way.

Last edited by Macunaima; 01-01-2015 at 06:49 AM.
Macunaima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:48 PM   #35
hcobb

Saturation Fire: The Msl Tank, MHWZ, and HWTZ can devote their entire sensor systems to scanning a single hex for their missiles. Before rolling the die for a ranged attack with these units the owning player declares "Saturation Fire" and their contribution to spillover fire is not halved as would be normally calculated. All of these units are then flipped over to their disabled side after firing, and will recover during their next recovery phase.

Note that this has no effect on movement, it just lowers their effective defense for one enemy turn because of the distraction of target focus.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:23 PM   #36
brettd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Saturation Fire: The Msl Tank, MHWZ, and HWTZ can devote their entire sensor systems to scanning a single hex for their missiles. Before rolling the die for a ranged attack with these units the owning player declares "Saturation Fire" and their contribution to spillover fire is not halved as would be normally calculated. All of these units are then flipped over to their disabled side after firing, and will recover during their next recovery phase.

Note that this has no effect on movement, it just lowers their effective defense for one enemy turn because of the distraction of target focus.
Interesting idea. I always thought of the How as an 88. Probably cause it looks like one. Always thought of the Msl as an MLRS or a Katushka. So I think of the Msl as more of a a saturation weapon and How as more a precision weapon. It therefore would not bug me to restrict this kind of thing to Msl. Just personal taste.
You could argue that reduced defense is due to extended fire giving away position too.
brettd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:41 AM   #37
Ashley

The more I think about this the more I like the idea of being able to split attacks into one point packages for howitzers and missile tanks. It changes none of the mechanics and needs no new rules, but adds tons of flexibility, and for me adds the in game feel of lots of shells/missiles being fired.

Blogs:
http://panther6actual.blogspot.co.uk/
http://ashleyrpollard.blogspot.co.uk/
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #38
hcobb

How about allowing light missile armed units to split their fire, but all targets must be in the same hex and all attacks are declared before any are rolled?
Old 01-02-2015, 01:04 PM   #39
brettd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
The more I think about this the more I like the idea of being able to split attacks into one point packages for howitzers and missile tanks. It changes none of the mechanics and needs no new rules, but adds tons of flexibility, and for me adds the in game feel of lots of shells/missiles being fired.
Makes sense to me. Not sure HOW needs help tho, and would cream gev units, no?
brettd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:08 PM   #40
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
You might also like Talorien's CRT-free combat resolution. It takes away the need to split attacks to integer division, so it plays faster. Plus you get to roll lots of dice, so howitzers are louder than LGEVs. http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=86186 (I'd skip the activation bit -- it's slow and moves the game pretty far from Ogre, but the combat resolution is pretty fun.)
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote