Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-27-2009, 06:49 AM   #41
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [Powers] Making Affliction- and DoT/Cyclic-based characters viable and effective

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccwebs View Post
Most of the time, people find DoT-like abilities weak because they are too used to instant gratification. They get used to high damage attacks and think that something that can do the same amount of damage compiled over a longer period of time is less effective.

Again, I think it's more instant bang for buck. In a game where combat turns represent 1 sec and combats don't tend to last more than a minute or two of game time, instant damage tends to be favored by players.

Well, I guess it depends on your definition of expensive. Toxic 1 (Cyclic, 1 min interval, 10 cycles, +400%; Ignores DR, +300%) [28] is a nasty little attack that'll put a hurtin' on most opponents within 10 minutes. It's powerful, but it's considerably ess expensive than Toxic 10 (Ignores DR, +300%) [160] for the same damage potential.

The proper builds are already there in the rules. Just think deviously and use Link. For example, Affliction 1 (Extended Duration x10, +40%; Link, +10; Malediction 2, +150%; Paralysis, +150%) [45] and Toxic 1 (Cyclic, 1 min, 10 cycles, +400%; Link, +10%; Malediction 2, +150%) [27] is a nasty little combination that not only effectively removes the opponent from combat (with the Paralysis) but then damages the opponent every minute for the first 10 minutes after the attack. All in all, not bad for 72 points.
Actually, what you point out is that DoTs must have a significant bunch of enhancements before they start looking more attractive than just bumping the number of dice (remember: normally damage must penetrate DR first).

For limited abilities like Mêlée Attack C -30% deathtouches, becoming a by-second cyclic is actually very significant reduction of efficiency.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:22 AM   #42
cccwebs

Default Re: [Powers] Making Affliction- and DoT/Cyclic-based characters viable and effective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
Actually, what you point out is that DoTs must have a significant bunch of enhancements before they start looking more attractive than just bumping the number of dice (remember: normally damage must penetrate DR first).

For limited abilities like Mêlée Attack C -30% deathtouches, becoming a by-second cyclic is actually very significant reduction of efficiency.
I don't see significant bunches of enhancements. I see at most 2 necessary enhancements, Cyclic and either Ignores DR or Malediction. Other enhancements can be useful for style. I will agree that the 1 second interval doesn't work out so well, considering that it's +100% per cycle, but slower acting abilities can cause the same or more damage in the time frame they work.
cccwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:27 AM   #43
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
I don't see significant bunches of enhancements. I see at most 2 necessary enhancements, Cyclic and either Ignores DR or Malediction. Other enhancements can be useful for style. I will agree that the 1 second interval doesn't work out so well, considering that it's +100% per cycle, but slower acting abilities can cause the same or more damage in the time frame they work.
But by the time slower abilities do their job, the DoTer is most likely dead. That's why I'm primarily looking at the 1-second scale - to compare apples to apples, oranges to oranges, combatants to combatants and assassins to assassins.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:00 AM   #44
cccwebs

Quote:
But by the time slower abilities do their job, the DoTer is most likely dead. That's why I'm primarily looking at the 1-second scale - to compare apples to apples, oranges to oranges, combatants to combatants and assassins to assassins.
Again, this is where the instant damage gratification comes in. DoT are just not as comparable to instant damage attacks when looking at the 1 second scale. DoT's require time for them to become effective.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #45
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Again, this is where the instant damage gratification comes in. DoT are just not as comparable to instant damage attacks when looking at the 1 second scale. DoT's require time for them to become effective.
I just don't get why 'damage delayed for a couple of seconds' is not a limitation of some sort.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #46
cccwebs

Quote:
I just don't get why 'damage delayed for a couple of seconds' is not a limitation of some sort.
In a game that focuses on intense combat, then "damage delayed for a couple of seconds" would be a hinderance. But not all games are focused on intense combat. There are many situations where something working more slowly (like a poison or disease) are very effective, but those situations very rarely fit into the 1 minute long combat.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:06 PM   #47
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

The best thing about cyclic damage? Messing with regenerating characters...

The damage done by a cyclic attack can not be recovered in any way, while the cyclic attack continues. This means that you could severely weaken someone with a multi-day cyclic attack
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
affliction, cyclic, damage over time, dot