Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-13-2020, 05:09 PM   #11
Varyon

Default Re: Converting 3e guns to 4e

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
I'd like to see the telescopic sight required for that shot :)
The Acc 6 indicates it would require a x64 scope to get the maximum of a further +6; such would probably be as large as, if not larger than, the grazer itself. Aiming for 3 seconds would normally get you to Acc+2; you need to Aim for at least 6 seconds for the full +6 of the scope, and a total of +14 (+6 Acc, +2 for additional seconds of Aim, +6 for scope). Spending a full 90 seconds aiming, and making all of the relevant rolls, can get you a further +5 for Precision Aiming, a total of +19. Optionally, a rangefinder could give a further +3, but really the grazer's Acc should already have the rangefinder accounted for (the weapon needs to know the range to focus the laser to be effective against the target). That drops the net penalty from -31 to -12; you'd need to be aiming at an SM+12 target to be able to roll at Beam Weapons +0. A vehicle of that size is likely to have DR 150 or more (probably more; 150 is for a streamlined spaceship with a single module of steel armor on each section, and I suspect most at TL 12 would be markedly better armored than that); considering you're beyond 1/2D at that point, you cannot get past even that modest armor without a critical hit. If you assume the +6 doesn't already take the rangefinder into account, that would drop the penalty to -9, so you could hit an SM+9 target at base skill; with DR of 50, you'll sneak a little damage past the armor with each hit (an average roll results in 2 penetrating damage), but will probably run out of ammo (and air) before you manage to do anything of note.

Note that, if you consider the +3 of the rangefinder as being included, the grazer pistol may only be able to mount a +3 (x8) scope, for a -15 to hit.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:24 PM   #12
DangerousThing

Default Re: Converting 3e guns to 4e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
The Acc 6 indicates it would require a x64 scope to get the maximum of a further +6; such would probably be as large as, if not larger than, the grazer itself. Aiming for 3 seconds would normally get you to Acc+2; you need to Aim for at least 6 seconds for the full +6 of the scope, and a total of +14 (+6 Acc, +2 for additional seconds of Aim, +6 for scope). Spending a full 90 seconds aiming, and making all of the relevant rolls, can get you a further +5 for Precision Aiming, a total of +19. Optionally, a rangefinder could give a further +3, but really the grazer's Acc should already have the rangefinder accounted for (the weapon needs to know the range to focus the laser to be effective against the target). That drops the net penalty from -31 to -12; you'd need to be aiming at an SM+12 target to be able to roll at Beam Weapons +0. A vehicle of that size is likely to have DR 150 or more (probably more; 150 is for a streamlined spaceship with a single module of steel armor on each section, and I suspect most at TL 12 would be markedly better armored than that); considering you're beyond 1/2D at that point, you cannot get past even that modest armor without a critical hit. If you assume the +6 doesn't already take the rangefinder into account, that would drop the penalty to -9, so you could hit an SM+9 target at base skill; with DR of 50, you'll sneak a little damage past the armor with each hit (an average roll results in 2 penetrating damage), but will probably run out of ammo (and air) before you manage to do anything of note.

Note that, if you consider the +3 of the rangefinder as being included, the grazer pistol may only be able to mount a +3 (x8) scope, for a -15 to hit.
Just the graser. I wouldn't allow precision aiming for a pistol without a tripod or such. Likewise no rangefinder. Gurps Spaceships gives 50 dDR for steel armor for an sm 15 ship; that's 500 real armor.

In a real game, I would just say there was no effect. Though, I'd hope a pc would choose a better weapon with which to assault a spaceship that large.

Unless it was one of the fleet from a story I once read as a kid. The fleet was designed to scare their enemies and and most of the ships were basically tin foil.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, guns