Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-14-2018, 10:48 PM   #11
Stone Dog

Default Re: GURPS Eberron, Redux

I used to be hard core into Eberron back in the day. I'm very happy to see that it has some love still.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:55 PM   #12
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
By random chance I've had thoughts somewhat along these lines and my advice is to use the increases flexibility that GURPS allows to make Shifters and Kalashtar supplimental racial templates that you can chose to pick after first picking a normal template.
Shifters I could see, though I'd limit them to the races that existed in the regions back when they arose. Orcs (and half-orcs) would be suitable, as would be goblinoids.

Kalashtar are harder, as they would need to be races native to Sarlona. Dwarves are a remote possibility, as are changelings, though the other races would stand out too much in Khorvaire, which runs counter to the whole "secret war" thing the Kalashtar have.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:34 PM   #13
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
Shifters I could see, though I'd limit them to the races that existed in the regions back when they arose. Orcs (and half-orcs) would be suitable, as would be goblinoids.
So Shifters of other species can't have arisen later? And where were these other species at the time?

Quote:
Kalashtar are harder, as they would need to be races native to Sarlona. Dwarves are a remote possibility, as are changelings, though the other races would stand out too much in Khorvaire, which runs counter to the whole "secret war" thing the Kalashtar have.
What's your source on this? I don't have anything describing Sarlona.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:42 PM   #14
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
What's your source on this? I don't have anything describing Sarlona.
"Races of Eberron" states that the Quori who became the ancestors of the kalashtar originally emerged in Adar (the first bonded with a monk from the country), so it is only plausible that the kalashtar lines come from races native to the region. Even now Adar is largely populated by humans and kalashtar (with 4% "others"), but it is remotely conceivable that a member of another race native to Sarlona has bonded with one of the Quori spirits.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:11 PM   #15
Jürgen Hubert

Okay, this is not a drill. We just had the vote - and GURPS Eberron it is.

There are also two tentative character concepts:

- A warforged fighter, who will probably lean towards the heavier-armored versions.

- An artificer who is also a member of House Cannith.

Thus, these three rules elements (warforged, artificers, Mark of Making) will get priority.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:24 PM   #16
scc

For Warforged I'd say machine meta-trait with the following alterations:
Doesn't Eat or Drink, Doesn't Breathe, you do actually have FP, and there's a set of extra traits the character can buy, chiefly DR and Innate Attacks. If you want to be more source accurate +1 ST, -1 IQ, and DR 1 or 2.

For Mark of Making, I'd make the least mark the ability to cast the Repair spell or the Healing advantage limited to machines/object, I don't know about the higher versions.

And for Artificer I'd ask the player what he thinks it should be.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:29 PM   #17
calmquist

Warforged: I would use Machine Meta-Trait, Doesn't Eat or Drink, Doesn't Sleep, Doesn't Breath, optional DR and Blunt Claws. For a heavy armor variant, you might consider fairly high DR with a cannot wear armor limitation.

I would keep the Warforged having no FP (especially for a fighter).

Mark of Making: I would use an unusual background to be able to operate certain Eldritch Machines (cost may depend on availability of said machines). A talent for engineering or crafting. Justification for powers like Healing (objects only) and similar abilities.

Artificer: I would use buff type Afflictions that are cast on equipment (and Warforged) for Infusions. Look at Sorcery buffs as an example. I though of using a gadget pool before, but I decided that buff spells as temporary enchantments fit better.

I would also use Gadgeteer and Gizmos for the gadgeteering aspect. I would also consider Metatronic Generators for magic item creation.

Last edited by calmquist; 11-15-2018 at 04:33 PM.
calmquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:43 PM   #18
Jürgen Hubert

Okay, I am hitting a bit of a tough spot on what advantages you should have for the Mark of Creation - which largely offers a variety of ways of creating inanimate objects. For which GURPS only has the "Create" advantage from GURPS Powers.

Maybe dip into the abilities under Matter Control from GURPS Powers?
Old 11-15-2018, 11:23 PM   #19
scc

Quote:
Okay, I am hitting a bit of a tough spot on what advantages you should have for the Mark of Creation - which largely offers a variety of ways of creating inanimate objects. For which GURPS only has the "Create" advantage from GURPS Powers.

Maybe dip into the abilities under Matter Control from GURPS Powers?
Put a size limit on the lower levels? Which I think roughly corresponds to the levels.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:04 AM   #20
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Put a size limit on the lower levels? Which I think roughly corresponds to the levels.
No, what I meant to say is that I think the power needs more options than just "Create".

Maybe assorted "buffs" that require magic items on the target to work? Thus representing "on-the-fly" modifications... Or alternately harmful powers that cause magic items to damage the wielder.

What would that be for an Accessibility modifier?

Tags
conversion, eberron, eberron gurps 4e, gurps eberron