Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-25-2016, 04:29 AM   #1
Onkl

Default My Eclipse Phase conversion

Hi guys

I am in the process of converting Eclipse Phase to use with GURPS rules. It's baby steps at the moment, so far I've only done the seperation of EGO and MORPH and how I plan to do it in GURPS.

I've created the following chart:

GURPS Eclipse Phase Ego and Morph Seperation

I am very glad for any criticism, tips or improvements you might have.

I will keep posting further development I make to this thread.

Cheers

Onkl
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:09 AM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: My Eclipse Phase conversion

Might want to have DX depend on both the Morph and the Ego. Otherwise you get a silly situation that a mind engineered for dexterity . . . cannot be.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:47 AM   #3
Onkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Might want to have DX depend on both the Morph and the Ego. Otherwise you get a silly situation that a mind engineered for dexterity . . . cannot be.
Good idea. I could give both a "shadow stat" which limits how much DX or IQ respectively the "joined up" character could have.

Eg.

a) This Frog Morph only allows for an IQ of 10. So the Morph limits the IQ to 10.

b) This Bioroid-Soldier-Morph has 19 DX, but since your mind has a DX limit of 12 you cannot reap the full combat potential.

EDIT: Or didn't I understand you? Would that be a possible solution to the problem you mentioned. I know I don't want to add a SOM stat or something similar. I thought it's already "SOM enough" since the mind can have all the skills... and the morph can't have any... if you know what I mean...

Last edited by Onkl; 01-25-2016 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:06 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkl View Post
Good idea. I could give both a "shadow stat" which limits how much DX or IQ respectively the "joined up" character could have.

Eg.

a) This Frog Morph only allows for an IQ of 10. So the Morph limits the IQ to 10.

b) This Bioroid-Soldier-Morph has 19 DX, but since your mind has a DX limit of 12 you cannot reap the full combat potential.

EDIT: Or didn't I understand you? Would that be a possible solution to the problem you mentioned. I know I don't want to add a SOM stat or something similar. I thought it's already "SOM enough" since the mind can have all the skills... and the morph can't have any... if you know what I mean...
I meant modifiers, not limits.

E.g. a DX 13 mind occupying a DX -2 (modifier) body will end up being a DX 11 character for this period of time; a DX 13 mind occupying a DX +2 (modifier) body will be DX 15 for a while.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:48 AM   #5
Not

Perhaps these two systems differ on the question of whether dexterity is a property of the mind, of the body, or both.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:17 AM   #6
Eukie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
Perhaps these two systems differ on the question of whether dexterity is a property of the mind, of the body, or both.
Eclipse Phase is written, for what are fairly obvious game purposes, to treat all character stats are properties of the mind, with modifiers from the body. So in EP, characters have REF(lexes) and COO(rdination) as stats, while bodies provide a bonus or penalty, and an upper limit, to REF and COO.

What I did in my attempt to make a conversion of EP was to simply translate this concept to GURPS; ST, DX, IQ, and HT are properties of the mind, which are modified by bodies (though Basic Lift, HP and FP were decoupled from ST and HT). ST is then not as much actual strength as it is the ability to use strength effectively for punching and other ST-based tasks, HT is the ability to pace oneself and the will to stay conscious, etc.

However, the "canonical" way to do mind/body separation in GURPS is to have IQ be the only Primary Attribute of the mind; c.f. Transhuman Space.
Eukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:19 AM   #7
Onkl

I see your point. EP does give the EGO a DX-like property in the form of REF and SOM and the way I have it now, all EGOs would have the same DX stat in the same MORPH which isn't all that exciting.

My idea was that since only the EGO can have skills and thus all the DX-based and HT-based skills, there still is some SOM and REF in it. The MORPH would have the raw ability to be dextrous, but the learned quantities are all in the mind. Thus my division of the stats to EGO and MORPH.

Is your objection to my original idea based off the fact that I wrote "conversion" and that my idea diverges to much from how the original does it? What do you see as the main problem in the way I modeled it?
Old 01-26-2016, 03:34 AM   #8
Eukie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkl View Post
Is your objection to my original idea based off the fact that I wrote "conversion" and that my idea diverges to much from how the original does it? What do you see as the main problem in the way I modeled it?
It's not so much an objection as an observation. Though only three Ego-specific Primary Attributes, one of which governs about 90% of the skills, does seem like somewhat odd design. Not necessarily bad, but very unconventional.

I'd suggest letting the Ego have DX and modifying the morph side of things with Arm DX/High Manual Dexterity/Improved Dodge and anti-versions of the same.

You might consider also giving Egos explicit access to Striking ST (or simply ST without Lifting ST and HP, which costs the same) and a Talent that covers most HT-based skills, as replacements for ST and HT-skills.
Eukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:13 AM   #9
Onkl

Rise, thread, rise!

Guys, I've just found the following PDF - archive.4plebs.org/dl/tg/image/1427/31/1427318312827.pdf

It's a conversion of EP to GURPS with some promising ideas and a lot of work already done.

Does anybody know who did this and where I could reach this person?

Cheers!

Onkl

Last edited by Onkl; 12-02-2016 at 07:14 AM. Reason: made the URL a link
Old 12-02-2016, 12:41 PM   #10
apoc527

I don't, but I'm very curious too. I've always had a soft spot for Eclipse Phase, but I'd rather use GURPS. And when I go that route, I just think, "Why not use THS then?" And that's how I got a THS campaign. But Eclipse Phase offers a different style of campaign. It's post-apoc and it's got the Pandora Gates. So I'm still curious about a good conversion.

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, conversions, eclipse phase, eclipse phase conversion