Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #11
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Using the Pathfinder Kingdom Building rules with GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
And now I am wondering: What is the population density for pseudo-medieval towns?
Pseudo-medieval fantasy towns? Can be what you like. Actual historical settlements? Varies a lot and is exceptionally problematic. There's a possibly interesting paper here which discusses the issue of estimating civic populations, but it's best read not as a source for hard numbers so much as an overview of methods which are used to that end.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:54 PM   #12
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
The population for a fully occupied district - one square mile - is about 9,000 people.

And now I am wondering: What is the population density for pseudo-medieval towns?
Which is my problem. If I count the number of plots I need, the town will cover more than two square miles, but with a population of less than 2000 people. So the plots are way too big.

Do you want an inn or a caters tower on a plot covering 562,500 square feet?
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #13
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
Which is my problem. If I count the number of plots I need, the town will cover more than two square miles, but with a population of less than 2000 people. So the plots are way too big.

Do you want an inn or a caters tower on a plot covering 562,500 square feet?
It should be assumed that the lots generally aren't filled by just that one building, but also generic minor housing and businesses.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:28 AM   #14
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
It should be assumed that the lots generally aren't filled by just that one building, but also generic minor housing and businesses.
If that is what they want us to assume, they should say so. For housing they do. And ifw we do assume this, what is "generic minor housing and Businesses"?
Old 09-26-2014, 02:27 AM   #15
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
The population for a fully occupied district - one square mile - is about 9,000 people.

GURPS has some material on that. There is GURPS Fantasy and GURPS-Low Tech (or the Companions).

There is also "Medieval Demographics Made Easy" by S.John Ross.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:39 AM   #16
fifiste

Just a note of interest if anybody would like to host a game like this on SJG PBP I would be soooo intrestested.
Otherwise the worked out systems and alll the logs you could care to make public would really be appriciated by me.
fifiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:32 AM   #17
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifiste View Post
Just a note of interest if anybody would like to host a game like this on SJG PBP I would be soooo intrestested.
Otherwise the worked out systems and alll the logs you could care to make public would really be appriciated by me.
I would like that too. I'm considering going through process as i create the small town I've been talking about. Though the size of the town and actual population compared to the buildings i need may skew the results.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:22 AM   #18
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
Thinking about that a little, and considering that each lot represents about 250 people, I agree with you that it's not just the one building. You only get the bonus for the building you pick, but there is other stuff there too.

Unfortunately, d20pfsrd.com is not a Paizo administered site. Perhaps they have released an SRD like Hasbro did for d&d and someone reformatted the pathfinder SRD on their own site, like the d&d SRD was reformatted on d20srd.org, but this could be pirated information.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #19
hal

You may want to look at RUNEQUEST EMPIRES for something like this.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:43 PM   #20
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
Unfortunately, d20pfsrd.com is not a Paizo administered site. Perhaps they have released an SRD like Hasbro did for d&d and someone reformatted the pathfinder SRD on their own site, like the d&d SRD was reformatted on d20srd.org, but this could be pirated information.
As far as I am aware, these rules are a direct copy of the rules from Paizo's "Ultimate Campaign" for Pathfinder, which I also own.

Pretty much all of the Pathfinder rules were released under the OGL license (which they had to, since they created those rules based on the OGL rules released by Wizards of the Coast). Unless I am very much mistaken, the site I linked to is perfectly legal.

Tags
conversion, pathfinder