Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-07-2018, 05:13 PM   #11
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Converting $D&D to $DFRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post

So 1000 gp is 1000 gold coins worth $400,000?
Items, not cash. That's the whole point of what I was saying, actually: Treat a sword as a sword, a helmet as a helmet, a lantern as a lantern, and so on. Ignore the cash value of such things. Cash itself doesn't convert, so don't try.

I know the OP was asking how to convert coin found as treasure. My point is that there's no useful way to do this. Actually, if I were to do it, I'd look at how many levels of advancement the money would allow as xp equivalent/training/higher-level starting wealth in your preferred edition of D&D. I'd treat each level as 50 character points in the DFRPG. And since 50 points traded for cash, were that hypothetically allowed, would get $25,000, I'd treat each level as that much money. So if 5,000 gp would let the average PC in the campaign function at a level higher in D&D, that would be $25,000.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:07 AM   #12
Rhino

Just say 1gp in DND = 1sp in DFRPG.
Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:22 PM   #13
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
You can use a "basket" approach. Make a list of goods and services that appear in both systems, total them up, and the divide one from the other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Based on gear, 1sp is about G$1, 1gp is about G$10.
I'm getting around $20 to the gp, myself
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:09 PM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Alternatively comparing wages: 3sp/day versus $200/week given as minimum wage for trained hirelings gives $13/sp assuming a five day work week or $10/sp for a seven day week.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:11 PM   #15
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I know the OP was asking how to convert coin found as treasure. My point is that there's no useful way to do this. Actually, if I were to do it, I'd look at how many levels of advancement the money would allow as xp equivalent/training/higher-level starting wealth in your preferred edition of D&D. I'd treat each level as 50 character points in the DFRPG. And since 50 points traded for cash, were that hypothetically allowed, would get $25,000, I'd treat each level as that much money. So if 5,000 gp would let the average PC in the campaign function at a level higher in D&D, that would be $25,000.
I don't think that Character Wealth by level is linear in D&D. It isn't in PFRPG.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, item pricing