Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-31-2020, 08:03 AM   #31
smurf
Banned

Default Re: Unsually modified Tanks

Another field mod was to cover the glacis in sand bags to add another layer of protection.

Zimmerite Paste was used by the Germans to prevent sticky bombs. IIRC this then developed into spaced armour to hold off shaped charges.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:32 AM   #32
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
Zimmerite Paste was used by the Germans to prevent sticky bombs. IIRC this then developed into spaced armour to hold off shaped charges.
Magnetic bombs actually. They stopped applying the paste when they discovered that they were the only ones using said bombs.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:39 PM   #33
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
Magnetic bombs actually. They stopped applying the paste when they discovered that they were the only ones using said bombs.
Also it was (incorrectly) rumoured to be a fire risk. Besides it didn't stop sticky bombs from sticking, though they weren't a major problem for tanks, being seldom used on them.

As for the skirts and other sheets of steel the Germans started adding - they were not a development of the paste, but a different idea entirely, and were originally intended as a defence not against the HEAT warheads of early LAWs (against which they weren't that useful anyway because those weapons tended to have less stand-off than was optimal so giving them more didn't hurt them much), but against Soviet 14.5mm anti-tank rifles, against which they were reasonably effective. Indeed, their effect vs the AT rifles when mounted on the sides of the Panther's hull was good enough that the Panther II was put on hold, as the weakness of the mid-hull side armour was a major reason for the Panther II's development.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:16 PM   #34
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Also it was (incorrectly) rumoured to be a fire risk. Besides it didn't stop sticky bombs from sticking, though they weren't a major problem for tanks, being seldom used on them.
Sticky bombs seem (based on anecdotal evidence) to have mostly adhered to the users' own uniforms, rather than to often-muddy enemy tanks, hence their falling out of use fairly quickly.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:06 PM   #35
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Sticky bombs seem (based on anecdotal evidence) to have mostly adhered to the users' own uniforms, rather than to often-muddy enemy tanks, hence their falling out of use fairly quickly.
They were incredibly dangerous if you were careless or under-trained. Hence why they were rather unpopular with the Home Guard, and with many regular soldiers. People like the Commandos and the Long Range Desert Group found them pretty useful though - but not for tank killing. They were mostly used on trucks and other relatively soft targets, as they had a HE warhead, not a HEAT warhead and were therefore difficult to kill modern tanks with.

Old 11-02-2020, 11:23 AM   #36
acrosome

Various folks would apply track-wideners to reduce ground pressure. I think the Americans called these "duckbills". On the other hand, the Germans had to put special narrow tracks on their heavy tanks to get them to fit onto railroad flatcars.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:44 PM   #37
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
Various folks would apply track-wideners to reduce ground pressure. I think the Americans called these "duckbills". On the other hand, the Germans had to put special narrow tracks on their heavy tanks to get them to fit onto railroad flatcars.
And usually, in practice, didn't bother if they knew the route didn't go through any tight tunnels or the like, even though that was against regulations.

Old 11-02-2020, 06:13 PM   #38
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
Another field mod was to cover the glacis in sand bags to add another layer of protection.
Which, it's generally asserted, didn't really provide any useful protection.
Old 11-02-2020, 06:31 PM   #39
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Which, it's generally asserted, didn't really provide any useful protection.
Things that are broadly effective usually make it into the standard version, so pretty much all field mods are either ineffectual, very situational, or responding to previously unknown threats.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:44 PM   #40
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Things that are broadly effective usually make it into the standard version, so pretty much all field mods are either ineffectual, very situational, or responding to previously unknown threats.
Sometimes the troops at the front and the people controlling procurement just have divergent priorities.

Which might apply in this case - medium tank crews might have generally preferred to have heavier tanks than they were provided. But they didn't have a really effective way to implement that preference.

Tags
tank, wwii