Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-01-2019, 09:42 AM   #1
namada

Default GURPS Fate of Cthulhu

I just ran across this kickstarter and this "complete rpg," as they call it, sounds like something that could make for a fun GURPS campaign, so how to do it?

Probably:
GURPS Basic Set
GURPS Horror (for the expanded fear mechanics)
GURPS Cthulhupunk (for the monsters)
GURPS After the End (for the templates, just add an additional +150 CP?)
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:31 PM   #2
namada

Default Re: GURPS Fate of Cthulhu

Since I got zero replies, I just thought I'd add the bit I found interesting as a campaign premise, in case folks were simply not willing to click & read...
[Quoted from link:]
Quote:
The idea for Fate of Cthulhu started with a simple question: what if Cthulhu operated like Skynet? In this game you'll face down Mythos-style threats with Terminator-style action and adventure, whether as a present-day Sarah Connor type, or an agent from the future already facing the creeping effects of corruption. This is Lovecraftian roleplaying made new again, with time-traveling operatives from a future apocalypse journeying back to the present day to warn others of the coming danger (and recruit them) to try to set the timeline on a new and hopefully better course.
Not something I'd pay for in a "complete rpg," especially not a FATE-based one (personal bias,) but that's something I could see paying SJG for, if the premise had been worked out as a whole campaign for GURPS instead. Even if I'd never run that hypothetical campaign, some material would have seen use at my table.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:36 PM   #3
Antiquation!

It's a potentially interesting premise. I could see some sort of mini-setting supplement being created for the Monster Hunters line to facilitate such a thing (though for obvious reasons it wouldn't strictly be Cthulhu-related).
Old 08-16-2019, 12:44 AM   #4
AOTA

Looks like it might be fun to convert over.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:45 PM   #5
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOTA View Post
Looks like it might be fun to convert over.
I'm with AOTA - Let's rock this up right here for free.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:50 PM   #6
namada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiquation! View Post
It's a potentially interesting premise. I could see some sort of mini-setting supplement being created for the Monster Hunters line to facilitate such a thing (though for obvious reasons it wouldn't strictly be Cthulhu-related).
Yeah, the first time I posted, I thought I'd read this was set in the future, during the ongoing apocalypse caused by Lovecraftian Horrors, which was really cool to me, and why I suggested using After the End as a base. You're right though, I think, Monster Hunters would be a better base for this set in modern times, as the kickstarter actually describes - for me though, this lost a lot of appeal when I read it right, the second time. ;)

Also, isn't Lovecraft's work Public Domain, allowing anyone to publish anything on Lovecraftian Horror or even Cthulhu Mythos?
Old 08-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by namada View Post

Also, isn't Lovecraft's work Public Domain, allowing anyone to publish anything on Lovecraftian Horror or even Cthulhu Mythos?
Its tricky. His mythos had several authors and some of it is public domain but not all of it. Thats why TSR pulled them out of their Dieties and Demigods book.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:07 PM   #8
namada

I found this article which suggests that's not why TSR pulled them out exactly.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:25 PM   #9
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by namada View Post
I found this article which suggests that's not why TSR pulled them out exactly.
Second to last paragraph says they did pull it for that reason. Though it implies no certainty Chaosiums licence was solid enough to be an issue. As I said, murky which makes companies nervous. However since 1980 more rights have expired so who knows?
I'd say anyone wanting to publish something should check with a copyright lawyer who would have to do some research to verify if any particular item or phrase was in or out of public domain.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
after the end, cthulhu