Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-17-2018, 08:24 AM   #371
The Colonel

Default Re: Exotic Governmental/Legal Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
One I remember is that until recently (comparatively) the British Government officially ceased to exist upon the death of the monarch and had to wait for the coronation to be resurrected.

If this still continued, that would be a interesting time for bureaucratic purges, eliminating old departments and siphoning their subsidies into new ones. And whatever.
Still much celebrated by British non-conformists as the death of Queen Anne put a stop to some fairly vicious legislation targeting the various Protestant denominations ... entirely capable of having some very interesting effects in practice.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:44 AM   #372
Curmudgeon

This one seems easy. A bicameral legislature where one (party-based) house sets policy and the other (geographically-based) house decides the specific implementation of that policy.

Eg.,
First house: We will build one or more new prisons to house 3600 prisoners.
Second house: And we put a prison for 600 here, a prison for 1200 there and a prison for 1800 yonder.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 07-17-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:35 PM   #373
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
First house: We will build one or more new prisons to house 3600 prisoners.
Second house: And we put a prison for 600 here, a prison for 1200 there and a prison for 1800 yonder.

The right to earmark is the sole duty and power of one house? I can only imagine the discrimination suits. Does this extend to taxes? Or is it just about where the government spends its money?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:16 PM   #374
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The right to earmark is the sole duty and power of one house? I can only imagine the discrimination suits. Does this extend to taxes? Or is it just about where the government spends its money?
Depends on how much, if any, discrimination there is, surely?

The idea is to keep the first house from pork-barreling in their ridings, or putting all the bad stuff in the ridings of the opposition, as well as to keep them from getting elected by promising , for example, $1,000,000 tax-free and non-repayable to anyone in my riding who asks for it. Of course, they could still put in a provision allowing X number of people to collect $1,000,000 tax-free and non-repayable, but it would be up to the second house to decide where the requests could come from. They might, for example, allow it nation-wide but only the first 3 persons from each riding.

I hadn't thought about it, but yes, it applies to taxes, too. The first house can allocate $36,000,000 to build those prisons, but the second house gets to decide exactly how the $36,000,000 gets allocated in building those prisons. I.E., the second house can't divert any of the $36,000,000 to projects other than those particular prisons, they can't spend more on those prisons without an additional allocation from the first house and any unspent portion of the $36,000,000 goes back into the General Revenues for re-allocation.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:52 PM   #375
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
This one seems easy. A bicameral legislature where one (party-based) house sets policy and the other (geographically-based) house decides the specific implementation of that policy.
This would seem to be wide open for backroom deals. I think they would turn this idea into a pork system pretty fast.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:24 PM   #376
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
This would seem to be wide open for backroom deals. I think they would turn this idea into a pork system pretty fast.
Maybe. It seems as though most systems can be turned into pork barrels pretty fast, if the people involved are so inclined. And if the people aren't inclined to pork barrel, you probably don't need to concentrate on making a system that's pork barrel-proof.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:50 PM   #377
jason taylor

A rural nobility based not on the obligation to provide manpower to the overlord but logistics. Each baron is in charge of stockpiling a local supply dump for the government's army or simply for it's couriers.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:51 PM   #378
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Some political philosophers have argued that there are advantages in a system that gets clogged.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:30 AM   #379
Curmudgeon

Based on the comics of Silver Age Krypton and Kandor, a different judicial system.

While known crimes exist, you can be charged with an act that wasn't previously a crime and convicted by a majority vote (apparently of the voting citizens). Given the disparate sentences for some crimes, sentences are apparently decided by majority vote as well. Police were mostly robots under a human (Kryptonian) Chief of Police/Chief Executioner for a given city. The two offices are synonymous and the Chief can investigate not-yet crimes at his discretion. Pre-Phantom Zone, sentencing placed the convict in suspended animation, in orbit about the planet, for re-education as a useful citizen. The downside as Jor-El is shown thinking when he carries out the sentence on one convict, "Someday, we must find a way to bring these ships back from orbit."
Old 07-18-2018, 07:32 AM   #380
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Uh, isn't this roughly the way the US Senate and House were set up?

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote