Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 12-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #21
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Default Re: Can Celestials Have Kids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
So...the text implies that Grigori in Vessels can mate together, though the Archdean...I mean Angel of Cutting Text might disagree...Though it makes an interesting arena for gaming.[...]
I wonder what would happen if two Celestials in Vessels both used the Celestial Song of Fruition.
If there's an Intervention, the GM get creative. Otherwise, it doesn't work -- Fruition is better-translated (if less poetically) as "the Song of crossbreeding with humans." No human, no crossbreeding.

Unless, y'know, the GM wants to make a variation to be a McGuffin, considering how many Archangels and Princes would scream (or at least twitch) at the thought of celestials and/or ethereals running around creating little private Outcast/Renegade/ethereal armies on their own. Starting with vessels from day one.

Maybe some powerful ethereal (BTW, "The Guardians" movie -- how's that sounding for ethereals?) is capturing Outcasts and Renegades, sticking Will Shackles on them, and using them for breeding stock, having discovered a way to make ethereal crossbreeds with celestials? (Minimum benefits: start with a vessel, have more Forces.) What if the ethereal is planning on breeding something with a similar Image, then using Assumption Combat to take it over, lather, rinse, repeat, until the ethereal is potent enough with celestial "strands" to attempt Assumption Combat with Lucifer? Or God? Or both in succession?

Even if you think that won't work, it might get kind of potent. (O HAI LEGION!)

--Beth, Djinn Princess of Nitpicking
Old 12-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #22
Shiftkitty

Location: A little south of Heaven and a little north of Hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
APG pp 84-85. However, the bit about the Grigori was errata'd out.
Thanks a bunch! I'll probably make that my next purchase.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #23
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
APG pp 84-85. However, the bit about the Grigori was errata'd out.
That makes sense because the entry didn't.

My non-canon explanation of the whole Grigori/pregnancy thing was that the Grigori were the first and ONLY choir of angels really sent to deal with humans (Maybe the Archs wanted to limit their exposure)

So originally, they were given human BODIES, not vessels. That made them more emotionally prone to manipulation by the wiles of wicked wimmins (and mens) and allowed them to...um...procreate.

But the logical problem I am facing is wouldn't just swapping the vessels for bodies fix the problem?

Or perhaps they used an earlier form of Earthly Transportation, where the soul and the vessel were more tightly tied together ala men.

Still in work. Sigh
Old 12-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #24
Matthias Wasser

IMC, I like to play up the fissibility and fusibility of Celestials.

For angels, this is a chance to show the alien directions selflessness goes in.An angel sees itself as a tool, so angels merge, split, and redistribute according to the functional demands of (what they estimate to be) the mission of the Host as a whole. Personal identity is meaningless. Humans should find this bizarre and terrifying.

For demons, fusion is predation, redistribution is predation or trade, and fission is a selfish subset of the spirit yearning to be free.

Every angel can be happy, or the angelic equivalent of happy, that it exists to fulfill a definite purpose. Every demon can brag that she, by Falling or breaking off, created herself.
Matthias Wasser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
celestials