Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-30-2016, 08:35 PM   #11
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: GURPS non-Phobia technophobia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Yes you have two skills
Then you'd have to pay for two separate skills. But that isn't what you implied in the previous post.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:09 AM   #12
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
If you know how to do something with TL 8 gear and TL 5, you have an advantage, or two separate but related skills.
I would rephrase as 'if you know how to do something as taught at TL8 and TL5' you have 2 skills. There are TL8 skills that routinely include the use of gear that first appear at a lower TL, you don't get a penalty when a specific task use those. Technically, gear belong to all the TL it is commonly in use in, so your version is correct but may be misunderstood, imho.

Last edited by Celjabba; 10-31-2016 at 06:18 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:13 AM   #13
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
No, you don't get that. You know about this stuff, get the normal defaults for it, could learn it if you wanted to, and even as worded get to use it in "very dire" situations. That's not Low-Tech.

If anything you likely have a tech related *advantage* that allows you to use obsolete stuff without the TL penalties, which the RAW don't handle well at all.
Anachronistic Training (IW page 183)?
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:17 AM   #14
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
There's no reason for the two things to be symmetrical. High tech is built on lower techs and includes them.
Ask a kid today to do TL 6 or even TL 7 photography. Totally different from TL 8.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:51 AM   #15
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Anachronistic Training (IW page 183)?
For certain Action-y games where the tech level of skills really mattered, i generalised that into what is essentially a Wildcard Technique, but increased in cost to [5/level] for the sheer versatility of it (as well as pentaphilia). Each level of it lets you ignore all TL penalties for one specific TL that is equal to or less than your personal TL (that is, the campaign TL as modified by your level of High or Low TL). That hit just the right price point that I had players wanting to take it as a flavour trait even in games where it wasn't super-important (one example being a secret-agent-y sort who was both a dedicated medieval reenactor and broadly cross-trained in top-secret classified hush-hush ultra-tech goodies straight out of Q's lab: High TL 1 [5], Anachronistic Training (TL 9) [5], and Anachronistic Training (TL 3) [5]).
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:56 AM   #16
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Ask a kid today to do TL 6 or even TL 7 photography. Totally different from TL 8.
Thats definitively one of the really clear cut cases where TL6, TL7 and TL8 are 3 differents skills with full penalties going downtech.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:48 AM   #17
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
Thats definitively one of the really clear cut cases
I'd disagree, actually. Subject selection, composition, color temperature, lighting, shutter speed/exposure/aperture, white balance and uses of colors of lighting, filters, lenses, field of view and focal length... none of that has changed a bit. The only major difference in photography from TL7 has been the actual recording of the image (film versus digital) inside the otherwise largely identical camera that selects, modifies, and forms that image on the image plane. But loading a film canister or not isn't all there is to photography.

Digital image processing (Photoshop, etc) is a separate skill, as you can use that on scanned film images just as well as direct digital ones.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:00 AM   #18
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
I'd disagree, actually. Subject selection, composition, color temperature, lighting, shutter speed/exposure/aperture, white balance and uses of colors of lighting, filters, lenses, field of view and focal length... none of that has changed a bit. The only major difference in photography from TL7 has been the actual recording of the image (film versus digital) inside the otherwise largely identical camera that selects, modifies, and forms that image on the image plane. But loading a film canister or not isn't all there is to photography.

Digital image processing (Photoshop, etc) is a separate skill, as you can use that on scanned film images just as well as direct digital ones.
I was speaking of the lab work, actually. Anyone trained on a digital camera won't be able to process a film in a darkroom, let alone a 19 century plate.
And by raw, this is also part of the skill !

The art part, yes, it remain roughly the same, although there are also notable changes.

Last edited by Celjabba; 10-31-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:17 AM   #19
Anders

I'd put it as a major Vow [-10]. Depends on what technology they decline working with - the morons* from Star Trek: Insurrection supposedly rejected all technology, but had a fully functional irrigation system, wheelbarrows, a forge, etc.

* I really dislike that movie
Old 10-31-2016, 10:23 AM   #20
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I'd put it as a major Vow [-10]. Depends on what technology they decline working with - the morons* from Star Trek: Insurrection supposedly rejected all technology, but had a fully functional irrigation system, wheelbarrows, a forge, etc.

* I really dislike that movie
Yeah just like those "moron" Mennonites that have irrigation, symbolic language, organized religion, yokes, fire, saddles, wagons, houses, domesticated animals, domesticated grains and clothing? 0_o

Communities that reject some arbitrary level of technology in order to live in an argraian society exist in the real world. Saying they reject "technology" isn't uncommon, even if isn't technically true.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high tech, low tech, technophobia, vow