Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:07 AM   #21
DSumner

Default Re: New Ninja rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianargent View Post
Something like Operation Newspaper or Operation Icepick? (Obviously, with appropriately balanced defensive forces)
Yes. Ninjas are expensive pieces of hardware. The NAC general staff isn't going to sign off on a Ninja being deployed to take out PE CP. But, destroying a reactor that's providing power to most of the entire French coastline, or taking out a port that's supplying say all of the Netherlands is something I could see them approving. The target has to be worth the cost.

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:10 AM   #22
ianargent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSumner View Post
Yes. Ninjas are expensive pieces of hardware. The NAC general staff isn't going to sign off on a Ninja being deployed to take out PE CP. But, destroying a reactor that's providing power to most of the entire French coastline, or taking out a port that's supplying say all of the Netherlands is something I could see them approving. The target has to be worth the cost.
Hmm, looking at Icepick...
If you replace Icepick Leader with a Ninja, you could give the defenders some mines and allow them to set up some (additional?) units using Hidden Deployment (both to "play up" the Ninja's prowess in locating those). Maybe add a couple of HWTs or GEV-PCs to the infantry component.
ianargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:15 PM   #23
wolf90

Quote:
Hmm, looking at Icepick...
If you replace Icepick Leader with a Ninja, you could give the defenders some mines and allow them to set up some (additional?) units using Hidden Deployment (both to "play up" the Ninja's prowess in locating those). Maybe add a couple of HWTs or GEV-PCs to the infantry component.
Want to write that up? If you do so, post it on the forums so we can give it a good play-testing.

My (very long term*) goal is to create a series of Ninja scenarios that would be published a la Ogre Scenarios Book 2.

D.

* I've got a gazillion tasks keeping me busy easily through 2017 and into 2018, but I do want to do this project!

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:17 PM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I also have an idea for a ninja scenario, now.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:34 PM   #25
ianargent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
Want to write that up? If you do so, post it on the forums so we can give it a good play-testing.

My (very long term*) goal is to create a series of Ninja scenarios that would be published a la Ogre Scenarios Book 2.

D.

* I've got a gazillion tasks keeping me busy easily through 2017 and into 2018, but I do want to do this project!

D.
What the heck - I'll take a crack at it. I'll probably do it on a "standard" map, though - the Icepick map is difficult to recreate even using all the vaguely waterlike overlays.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:25 PM   #26
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I also have an idea for a ninja scenario, now.
Quote:
What the heck - I'll take a crack at it.
This is what I love to hear! Bring it on!

Quote:
I'll probably do it on a "standard" map, though - the Icepick map is difficult to recreate even using all the vaguely waterlike overlays
No one says it has to be an exact duplicate; it would be better if you made it your own.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:28 PM   #27
atomic

Quote:
What the heck - I'll take a crack at it. I'll probably do it on a "standard" map, though - the Icepick map is difficult to recreate even using all the vaguely waterlike overlays.
Don't forget Ogre Map 2.0! You could do it easily with that. Wait...is there snow/ice terrain in there? Not in front of a computer that has it on there. I'll check later and post the findings. If not, you could use water for the ice. Maybe.

Edit

Just checked, there are both snow and ice terrain types! Yay!

Last edited by atomic; 02-10-2017 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Fact checking. Actual facts, not the alternative kind :)
atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:56 PM   #28
DSumner

Quote:

D.

D.
How about a scenario that makes use of the Ninja's enhanced sensors/detection capabilities? I'm thinking it'd be called "FAKE OUT". The scenario's objective is for the Ninja to destroy a sensitive enemy research facility. There are two structures. One structure is a fake, a decoy, set up to look like its active, and the other is the real deal. NAC Military Intelligence isn't quite sure which of the two structures houses the actual facility though. The Ninja would have to get within 3 hexes to determine which one is the decoy. There could even be decoy & hidden defensive units set up around both facilities so the attacker really has their work cut out for them.

I've also got some rough ideas for Ninjas using the drones mentioned in the description.

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:27 AM   #29
wolf90

To be clear, this is not a formal request for submissions.

Rather, this would be an opportunity to share what you've created and offer a venue where you could get solid play-testing of your idea.

D.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:04 PM   #30
ianargent

Quote:
To be clear, this is not a formal request for submissions.

Rather, this would be an opportunity to share what you've created and offer a venue where you could get solid play-testing of your idea.

D.
Wich is why I mutated my thread into a discussion of my theory of scenario design. And haven't posted the new version yet :)